Jump to topic:

obese younger generation

dougfunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2009 9:30:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is probably why the kids of today are fat, and our generation isn't. I never noticed the lyrics before, but now it makes me appreciate the cartoons I grew up with.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2009 6:51:09 PM
I don't see very many fat kids actually. Most of what you hear about is propoganda.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
porkchop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 1:28:21 PM
At 5/7/2009 6:51:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I don't see very many fat kids actually. Most of what you hear about is propoganda.

http://www.cdc.gov...

The prevalence of obesity among children aged 6 to 11 more than doubled in the past 20 years, going from 6.5% in 1980 to 17.0% in 2006. The rate among adolescents aged 12 to 19 more than tripled, increasing from 5% to 17.6%.1 Obesity is the result of caloric imbalance (too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed) and is mediated by genetics and health.2 An estimated 61% of obese young people have at least one additional risk factor for heart disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.3 In addition, children who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.2,4 Obese young people are more likely than children of normal weight to become overweight or obese adults, and therefore more at risk for associated adult health problems, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.4 Healthy lifestyle habits, including healthy eating and physical activity, can lower the risk of becoming obese and developing related diseases.2

Sources
1. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Flegal KM. High Body Mass Index for Age Among US Children and Adolescents, 2003-2006. JAMA. 2008;299(20):2401-2405.

2. Daniels SR, Arnett DK, Eckel RH, et al. Overweight in Children and Adolescents: Pathophysiology, Consequences, Prevention, and Treatment. Circulation. 2005;111;1999-2002.

3. Freedman DS, Dietz WH, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS. The relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Journal of Pediatrics 1999;103(6):1175-1182.

4. 4. U.S. Surgeon General. Overweight and Obesity: Health Consequences [http://www.surgeongeneral.gov...]. Rockville: MD. 2001. Web site accessed June 25, 2008.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 1:37:53 PM
At 5/8/2009 1:29:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Well, it's definitely not a problem in my area.

True dat', and about the statistics, check my sig.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 1:44:24 PM
True, statistics should be taken with a grain of salt. However, it would be fallacious to dismiss them outright.

You may not notice the increase in your area because you did not see the rates from 20 years ago and thus cannot be an accurate judge. You grew up with the current rate, so of course it would not seem to be a problem to you.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 1:48:06 PM
At 5/8/2009 1:44:24 PM, JBlake wrote:
True, statistics should be taken with a grain of salt. However, it would be fallacious to dismiss them outright.

You may not notice the increase in your area because you did not see the rates from 20 years ago and thus cannot be an accurate judge. You grew up with the current rate, so of course it would not seem to be a problem to you.

True enough about the statistics. Well, I thought 1 in 3 kids were supposed to be obese. Where I live it's like 1 in 25 IF that.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 1:58:53 PM
At 5/8/2009 1:51:04 PM, JBlake wrote:
You may be confusing 'obese' with 'overweight' - two very different things.

obese: very fat or overweight; corpulent.

However, it is generally excepted that men with over 25% of body fat and women with over 33% body fat are obese. I can assure you that 1/3 of the people at my school are not that fat or even close.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

- Adolf Hitler
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 2:03:46 PM
At 5/8/2009 1:58:53 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

obese: very fat or overweight; corpulent.

However, it is generally excepted that men with over 25% of body fat and women with over 33% body fat are obese. I can assure you that 1/3 of the people at my school are not that fat or even close.

That is an incorrect definition. There is a difference between overweight and obese. Obese people are also overweight, however they are more overweight.:
http://www.cdc.gov...

* An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
* An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.

Definitions for Children and Teens
For children and teens, BMI ranges above a normal weight have different labels (at risk of overweight and overweight). Additionally, BMI ranges for children and teens are defined so that they take into account normal differences in body fat between boys and girls and differences in body fat at various ages.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 8:37:19 PM
Them's is political definitions. Schwarzenegger's "Obese" according to that.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 8:40:54 PM
At 5/8/2009 8:37:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Them's is political definitions. Schwarzenegger's "Obese" according to that.

They usually factor in things such as muscle size, bone structure and etc., when you get your BMI data taken by a professional. The chart is just sort of a rough sketch of what the average person should be. Schwarzenegger isn't really 'average' so he would probably go over to the obese side of the BMI scale, but if done properly and adding in all the other factor's, he'd be healthy. Well, unless he really did get obese during his term.