Jump to topic:

Roaccutane and Acne

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:05:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I'm guessing a fair amount of DDO's members have some form of bad, hormonal acne in some way or another. While mine i nowhere near as bad as cystic acne it's still almost infectious, covers most of my back, neck and face. It doesn't respond to antibiotics but does to antibiotic cream.

So, I'm considering going on (ro)accutane. Apparently it's a rollercoaster of a drug, 6ish months of hell with no real guarantees for everyone. That said, does anyone know more about this topic or alternative treatments like Pulse Light treatments?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:16:31 PM
I've had acne since February this year, and it was a downside to be honest. First, I think sleep is very important when it comes to overall health, and I've noticed that when I sleep better/longer, my skin recovers quicker.

Second, I used a face wash gel since July (though not every day), and it is very good. It is called "Quinoderm antibacterial facewash" and it is very cheap. Use it morning and evening.

Third, I use just about every day a specific anti-acne creme called "PanOxyl 10." It dries the skin a lot over time, so much that you can often scrub it off afterwards. But that is good, since acne is caused partially by oil glands under the skin. Once the skin dries, it is much easier for your skin to avoid getting acne.

Try those two products. I don't know about others, personally. I think one should not get too much into the drugs, because the side-effects are often not worth it. Imagine, you feel depressed about acne and take acne drugs with side effects: depression, anxiety! Not very useful. The best drug I have read about against acne is Accutane, though it is supposed to be heavy with side effects. I read a bit on it now and it seems to be the same as Roaccutane.

Remember, you're not the only one, and it's not the worst thing!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:19:39 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:16:31 PM, Mirza wrote:
I've had acne since February this year, and it was a downside to be honest. First, I think sleep is very important when it comes to overall health, and I've noticed that when I sleep better/longer, my skin recovers quicker.

Second, I used a face wash gel since July (though not every day), and it is very good. It is called "Quinoderm antibacterial facewash" and it is very cheap. Use it morning and evening.

Third, I use just about every day a specific anti-acne creme called "PanOxyl 10." It dries the skin a lot over time, so much that you can often scrub it off afterwards. But that is good, since acne is caused partially by oil glands under the skin. Once the skin dries, it is much easier for your skin to avoid getting acne.

Try those two products. I don't know about others, personally. I think one should not get too much into the drugs, because the side-effects are often not worth it. Imagine, you feel depressed about acne and take acne drugs with side effects: depression, anxiety! Not very useful. The best drug I have read about against acne is Accutane, though it is supposed to be heavy with side effects. I read a bit on it now and it seems to be the same as Roaccutane.

As far as I know roaccutane is simply the name for accutane over here. But I use a cleanser and a benzyl peroxide based cream already and they've made progress on my face, but it isn't permanent. Roaccutane is dangerous, but probably worth it. One of my friends is taking it as far as i know, so he could be my guinea pig :L.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:21:04 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:19:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

As far as I know roaccutane is simply the name for accutane over here. But I use a cleanser and a benzyl peroxide based cream already and they've made progress on my face, but it isn't permanent. Roaccutane is dangerous, but probably worth it. One of my friends is taking it as far as i know, so he could be my guinea pig :L.
What is the name of the benzyl peroxide cream? The one I use has 10% of that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:33:21 PM
You need to get a moisturizer after any intensive cleansing. When you scrub away those oils, your skin is going to naturally try to replenish them, if you use a moisturizer afterwards, this allows you to get the cleaning effect of whatever treatment you use, as well as preventing your skin from pumping out more oil to replenish itself.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:47:15 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:21:04 PM, Mirza wrote:

5% I'm seeign a dermatologist in the near future so maybe they'll prescribe a higher dosage one.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:54:01 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:47:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

5% I'm seeign a dermatologist in the near future so maybe they'll prescribe a higher dosage one.
Try the one with 10% before going to Accutane.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:57:34 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:33:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You need to get a moisturizer after any intensive cleansing. When you scrub away those oils, your skin is going to naturally try to replenish them, if you use a moisturizer afterwards, this allows you to get the cleaning effect of whatever treatment you use, as well as preventing your skin from pumping out more oil to replenish itself.

Have one
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:03:21 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:54:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/9/2011 1:47:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Try the one with 10% before going to Accutane.

Will do. Panoxyl seems to be the one to get here.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:13:32 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:57:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 11/9/2011 1:33:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Have one

okay, good. Just making sure, while it is certainly not the most important step to fighting the war on acne, it is still an important one.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:55:25 PM
My partner took accutane, the stuff that's no longer on the market. He tried EVERYTHING. He took it for 6-8 months, and it was hell. He was horribly depressed, and some of the physical side effects were pretty terrible. It was a miserable period of time....but it worked. He had terrible recurring acne, and now perfect skin. As much hell as he went through, he would gladly do it again, and i will tell you that it changed his life. He now has way more confidence than before, and he's just more outgoing than when he would have periodic breakouts.

The bad thing is, he has chronic chapped lips. It's especially bad in the winter time, but he always has dry lips. Even still, he would do it again in a minute.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:12:15 PM
At 11/9/2011 1:05:21 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
So, I'm guessing a fair amount of DDO's members have some form of bad, hormonal acne in some way or another. While mine i nowhere near as bad as cystic acne it's still almost infectious, covers most of my back, neck and face. It doesn't respond to antibiotics but does to antibiotic cream.

So, I'm considering going on (ro)accutane. Apparently it's a rollercoaster of a drug, 6ish months of hell with no real guarantees for everyone. That said, does anyone know more about this topic or alternative treatments like Pulse Light treatments?:

Be careful with Accutane... it's a hell of a drug that have lots of side-effects. I would really read up about it before you go in to it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 3:29:30 PM
At 11/9/2011 5:12:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

So, I'm considering going on (ro)accutane. Apparently it's a rollercoaster of a drug, 6ish months of hell with no real guarantees for everyone. That said, does anyone know more about this topic or alternative treatments like Pulse Light treatments?:

Be careful with Accutane... it's a hell of a drug that have lots of side-effects. I would really read up about it before you go in to it.

I have a friend whos on it for about a month plus now, and he seems fine.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 10:51:52 AM
At 11/10/2011 3:29:30 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 11/9/2011 5:12:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I have a friend whos on it for about a month plus now, and he seems fine.
Some people are more tolerant to certain drugs. If you have experience with synthetic drugs and feel that you can tolerate them fairly well, then maybe you'd be able to handle Accutane fairly, too.

If you decide to take Accutane, I suggest also buying L-theanine pills, which are some of the best for relaxation, mood-enhancement, etc. L-theanine is found in green tea, so it is very natural. Notice how green tea relaxes you even though it has quite a lot of caffeine. It's the L-theanine.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 10:53:40 AM
The reason why I suggest the pills and not just the tea is because green tea doesn't have too much L-theanine to combat high anxiety/depression/stress levels. Pill supplements have much more pure L-theanine.

The component has no known side effects.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 12:44:12 PM
At 11/11/2011 12:27:53 PM, Lasagna wrote:
my friend used to just put rubbing alcohol on his face
Don't do this, it will most likely cause skin irritation. Alcohol is good for wound treatment, but that hurts, you know. Think about putting it on all the acne.