Jump to topic:

A Good Mind Requires Strong Healthy Body

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 1:26:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In response to the thread concerning the superiority of strength or intelligence, I'm here to say that you can't have a mind running at 100% potential without a strong healthy body.

As the Buddha rightly said:

"To keep the body in good health is a duty ...otherwise we shall not be able to keep the mind strong and clear."
-- the Buddha

This is coming from an enlightened man who was so strong that he turned the heads of the military and had the general trying to recruit him.

It's also worth mentioning that a strong body also makes you feel happier, a more confident attitude, and overall better mental stability.

And even if you don't agree that health/strength is a requirement, it must be conceded that it at least helps.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 1:44:06 PM
At 11/16/2011 1:26:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
In response to the thread concerning the superiority of strength or intelligence, I'm here to say that you can't have a mind running at 100% potential without a strong healthy body.

"To keep the body in good health is a duty ...otherwise we shall not be able to keep the mind strong and clear."
-- the Buddha

This is coming from an enlightened man who was so strong that he turned the heads of the military and had the general trying to recruit him.

It's also worth mentioning that a strong body also makes you feel happier, a more confident attitude, and overall better mental stability.

And even if you don't agree that health/strength is a requirement, it must be conceded that it at least helps.

Stephen Hawking?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:04:14 PM
At 11/16/2011 1:48:51 PM, lovelifewrote:
Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking's brain is damaged. He got Lou Gehrigs disease which damaged his motor neurons and his whole neuromuscular system is barely functional.

People with this disease sometimes also have their learning, thinking, and remembering abilities affected or decreased.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:11:42 PM
At 11/16/2011 2:04:14 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 1:48:51 PM, lovelifewrote:
Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking's brain is damaged. He got Lou Gehrigs disease which damaged his motor neurons and his whole neuromuscular system is barely functional.

People with this disease sometimes also have their learning, thinking, and remembering abilities affected or decreased.

How fvcking brilliant would he be without the disease then?
We would not be ready for him.
It's all part of some master plan.
/end whatever semi-sarcasm I was doing.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 1:19:46 PM
I had a lawyer friend who died of Lou Gehrig's disease, after having it for 40 years. He was one of those whose thinking ability was not affected, although his speech was impaired. So, no, a good mind does not require a strong healthy body -- but it's more fun to have one.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:10:21 AM
At 11/16/2011 1:26:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

-- the Buddha

mmm Seven Hawkings, by this standard is a moron? FDR was, stupid? Where do people get this stuff?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 12:39:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was thinking of Professor Hawking as well...and the fact that the reverse is not true...Stephen Hawking may have a great mind but, unlike David Beckham - who is as thick as two short planks nailed together - he's hopeless at taking free kicks!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...