Jump to topic:

Smoking again

mrbusy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 2:55:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't doubt smoking is bad for your phisical health. What I doubt is how much health or longevity we have to pursue in social level. This must be a philosophical matter.

Anyway, all of my ancestors have smoked, some of them heavily. None of them died from cancer. some passed away by liver/kidney failure and other diseases(which you might argue that induced by smoking.) I have been myself a smoker for some years and willing to smoke again if I want to. Frankly I don't really care about statistics or much care about death. Statistics about health rather make me think, 'what kind of people are so called 'researchers', they have nothing to do? I'd rather die of cancer early than extending my life worrying, craving and policing people about tobacco.'

I strongly feel that a few tobacco once in a while can't be bad and laugh at all of this 'second hand' thing.

Seriously, whatever the reason may be, we all die from some kind of health failure. If it causes too much misery or premature death (like war), we must try to put an end to this. But should smoking be that much of a public concern with time and money?

I believe smoking represents 'brotherhood' in many culture, (including american indians), When a man asks a cigarette, he is not actually asking a cigarette, but asking a smalltalk in brotherhood. Seemingly wonderful encounter happens in our society daily. Complete strangers can talk over a cigarette, discussing from weathers to iraq war and global warming.

I believe the heritage of sprituality imbued by smoking have been enormous and generally blessing to the world. It is not wonder that, in almost any and every historical scenes, there have been tobacco because this 'brotherhood' can be brought about by it, which became so much lacking in our society by tobacco policing.
SirFoLLy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 10:50:43 AM
Check out "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." I'm not too sure who the author is but I read it in like an hour so it's worth looking up on Google.

It helped me quit, and I think your attitudes on smoking will change once you realize that the only reason you defend it is because you're trying to justify some sort of guilt that you feel for continuing to smoke (I'm assuming you quit before, but now you're "Smoking again"). You have guilt for smoking for a number reasons, but the most important is that it's really, really, really bad for your health. The media and researchers are trying to badger people into quitting because the stats don't lie, and I'm not going to look them up. Thousands of people suffer and die while tobacco companies reap in the benefits of charging 10 bucks a pack (in some places, like here in Chicago) while it only costs around 2 cents to make one cigarette. They, as well as the families of the thousands who suffer from smoking, don't want you to be part of the stat. It's just raising awareness.

In terms of brotherhood, yes this may be true. However, I would not have had a problem smoking tobacco in those societies because the life expectancy was much much smaller than it is today, so I probably would not have died due to tobacco related causes. However, in a world where we can live to be 90+ years old, I'd rather not accelerate the death process through all of the free radicals and cancer-instigating chemicals that are generated from smoking cigarettes. Life is too damn precious. The only reason we continue smoking is to suppress an addiction that is greater than a heroine addiction. The only reason we justify smoking cigarettes is to make ourselves feel better about the poor decision we made to spark one up.

I just broke about 12 cigarettes yesterday as a statement that I'm quitting. My life is so much better after a few days (after withdrawal) of not having them (I've quit and started back up, multiple times). I have so much more energy! The smokes are so physically taxing, I hate it. My point is, why wouldn't you optimize your life experience (meaning inevitably your life experience will be BETTER than where you're at currently) if you could?

I have also spent many hours pondering and trying to justify smoking just like you. Yes, it helps create conversations with people. Yes, YOU CAN DO THIS WITHOUT SMOKING CIGS. People smoke cigarettes around other people because they're anxious about talking. I'm not going to get into the psychology of it, but a person who has to hold something and needs that oral stimulation in order to just shoot the breeze with someone is pathetic, in a way. You'll be looked up to 10X more if everyone in the room is smoking and you deliberately choose not to. They'll see you and deep down be wondering how the hell you quit.

Did you know that we have to WORK to become a cigarette fiend? Think about the first time you had a smoke, I bet it was a shitty experience. We did it for appearance. To look more sophisticated and to fit in with those who we wanted to develop relationships with. I'll tell you what though, those people I started smoking cigarettes with aren't even a part of my life anymore.

I have faith in you. Really, check out that book. It's easy. You'll start to see more and more money in your wallet throughout the weeks, too.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 4:04:24 PM
I believe the heritage of sprituality imbued by smoking have been enormous and generally blessing to the world. It is not wonder that, in almost any and every historical scenes, there have been tobacco because this 'brotherhood' can be brought about by it, which became so much lacking in our society by tobacco policing.:

LOL, whatever you have to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. No one really cares if you want to smoke, but there's no need to "blow smoke" (pun intended) up our @ss with talk of brotherhood and spirituality when it comes to inhaling smoke.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mrbusy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 1:26:32 PM
As I stated before, I agree that smoking is bad,although I may be justifying smoking, even by fantasizing it. I won't deny it. but I'd still like to address this problem, maybe philosophical one, although it may be little too general. How much can a society emphasize it's member's health? or How much is it adequate for a society as a state to regulate against it? this might differ from person to person. but for me, shouldn't this be left for individual's judgement especially when so much public has enjoyed the custom which precedes birth of a state? Even agreed that tobacco is so bad as claimed by 'reseachers', shouldn't people attack the government first for profiting from tobacco sales rather than attacking people.

and SirFolly, thank you for your heartfelt advice, I really will follow your advice. In fact, I'm not smoking for a few years already.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 2:28:24 PM
My favorite response to any kind of health claim like "smoking is bad" is this:

Did you know a lifetime supply of oxygen will kill you?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:23:57 AM
Jannah, I look cool as fvck while I'm smoking.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 5:38:43 PM
Is the subject of smoking refer to tobacco specifically, or are other plants included as well? Because marijuana smoke can be one of the least hazardous ways of smoking to your body. Its also much healthier than tobacco. Is there any risk of second hand smoke from marijuana? Not really. For tobacco? Well you see the studies..
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 7:14:08 PM
At 2/24/2012 5:38:43 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
Is the subject of smoking refer to tobacco specifically, or are other plants included as well? Because marijuana smoke can be one of the least hazardous ways of smoking to your body. Its also much healthier than tobacco. Is there any risk of second hand smoke from marijuana? Not really. For tobacco? Well you see the studies..
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 9:07:20 PM
I'm of the opinion that Americans have too much unnecessary freedom, and that combined with the irresponsibility and ignorance of the majority, this makes for bad outcomes.

I'm very fond of bringing up the fact that we live in a society in which we will bring you to the ER and care for you before we charge you for the tens and thousands of dollars that treatment costs. If you can't pay, the costs are absorbed by the government and expressed in the form of tax dollars for everyone else.

That means every cigarette, every unbuckled seat belt, etc. cannot possibly affect just one person. We are all paying extra for people's vices.

The only thing is, we all have our vices, so it's sociologically fair. If I drink but don't smoke, and you smoke but don't drink, then who's to say what tax dollars are being wasted?

The fair thing is to do what we've already been doing. You can continue to smoke as much as you want, and we will keep raising the taxes higher and higher, and both things are fair.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 1:09:50 AM
At 1/21/2012 7:38:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lol @ the OP. There's absolutely nothing cool about smoking. It's not only extremely unhealthy, but also looks disgusting.

What are you talking about? Of course smoking is cool!
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
DevonNetzley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 8:05:01 AM
At 2/25/2012 1:09:50 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 1/21/2012 7:38:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lol @ the OP. There's absolutely nothing cool about smoking. It's not only extremely unhealthy, but also looks disgusting.

What are you talking about? Of course smoking is cool!

I agree with johnnyboy54.
"If you truly want to do something, the only person standing in your way is yourself"
leah12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 6:19:20 PM
At 1/23/2012 2:28:24 PM, Wnope wrote:
My favorite response to any kind of health claim like "smoking is bad" is this:

Did you know a lifetime supply of oxygen will kill you?

lol thats funny
Merry Christmas!
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:06:28 AM
I smoke and I somewhat agree with the OP. I've never really felt threatened in any way by smoking propaganda and I don't believe smoking alone can cause horrible ailments. Rather, the lifestyle that many smokers tend to lead overall can be very unhealthy - usually these types of people are self indulgent in many other areas. To me, smoking a cigarette is a form of meditation, and I feel much more at ease having a cigarette in public than i would sitting indian style and humming shamanic chants. I know that many people who are smokers are also regular drinkers and I have a theory that - like when combining cocaine and alcohol (which produces cocathylene and is highly toxic and damaging), that cigarettes and alcohol also induce a synergistic effect in the body that is highly toxic. I will note that I feel much more unhealthy while consuming sugar than i do while smoking. To each his own I guess, but i believe overindulgence in a combination of areas is what seriously degrades the health. It's also important to note that the controversy only applies to artificially manufactured cigarettes, not real tobacco or marijuana. Manufactured cigarette companies (like Marlboro etc.) start with real tobacco and squeeze the juices out of it. They then add a mixture of harmful and addictive substances to induce a co-addiction upon the user. The end result is a freebase form of nicotine and other chemicals and usually the tip of the cigarette is dipped for a much stronger first drag. The mixture is sprayed onto a brown paper possibly rendered from the original tobacco leaves but may not contain tobacco at all, shredded and packed into fiberglass/paper tubes.. Commercially manufactured cigarettes hardly contain tobacco, if any at all - and smoking these chemical mixtures is unfavorable to the body.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:13:13 AM
At 5/1/2012 3:47:24 AM, JohnnyR wrote:
Cigarette smoke damage the cells and systems of the human body.Smoking is particularly damaging in young people.

Felt the need to bump this for that?
=]
kfc
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:15:50 AM
At 5/1/2012 3:47:24 AM, JohnnyR wrote:
Cigarette smoke damage the cells and systems of the human body.Smoking is particularly damaging in young people.

Bodily movement, food, air, and water can also damage cells. That's why cells continuously undergo mitosis.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
sydnerella
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 6:51:00 PM
At 5/2/2012 11:06:28 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
I smoke and I somewhat agree with the OP. I've never really felt threatened in any way by smoking propaganda and I don't believe smoking alone can cause horrible ailments. Rather, the lifestyle that many smokers tend to lead overall can be very unhealthy - usually these types of people are self indulgent in many other areas. To me, smoking a cigarette is a form of meditation, and I feel much more at ease having a cigarette in public than i would sitting indian style and humming shamanic chants. I know that many people who are smokers are also regular drinkers and I have a theory that - like when combining cocaine and alcohol (which produces cocathylene and is highly toxic and damaging), that cigarettes and alcohol also induce a synergistic effect in the body that is highly toxic. I will note that I feel much more unhealthy while consuming sugar than i do while smoking. To each his own I guess, but i believe overindulgence in a combination of areas is what seriously degrades the health. It's also important to note that the controversy only applies to artificially manufactured cigarettes, not real tobacco or marijuana. Manufactured cigarette companies (like Marlboro etc.) start with real tobacco and squeeze the juices out of it. They then add a mixture of harmful and addictive substances to induce a co-addiction upon the user. The end result is a freebase form of nicotine and other chemicals and usually the tip of the cigarette is dipped for a much stronger first drag. The mixture is sprayed onto a brown paper possibly rendered from the original tobacco leaves but may not contain tobacco at all, shredded and packed into fiberglass/paper tubes.. Commercially manufactured cigarettes hardly contain tobacco, if any at all - and smoking these chemical mixtures is unfavorable to the body.

Whoa I didn't know that... and I've been smoking for at least a few years. Is there any brand that doesn't? I've heard American Spirits are natural, but I know that could mean anything...
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:06:49 PM
At 5/12/2012 6:51:00 PM, sydnerella wrote:
At 5/2/2012 11:06:28 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

Whoa I didn't know that... and I've been smoking for at least a few years. Is there any brand that doesn't? I've heard American Spirits are natural, but I know that could mean anything...

I think the only tobacco you can get that is not 'shredded freebase paper' is shag tobacco that you roll yourself, which is becoming rarer. Like 'Drum' or 'Bali Shag'. I'm not 100% on American Spirits but judging by the way they burn, it seems more likely that they are made of real tobacco.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
venumssi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 4:24:43 AM
Blood is a trigger for transport in the body.
The thyroid gland is triggered for all metabolic functions.
http://homeocares.com...
The pancreas is the trigger for diabetes problem.
Hormones are a trigger for cell communication.
Individually each organ does individual functions.

But smoking is only triggered for damage all these functions. Cancer, physical, mental health and many factors can damaged by smoking. Similarly it is not easy to avoid it (because of it's a habit). So prevention is better than treatment. So don't edict

You know most of the diseases can occur due to psychological disorders. Physical strength is ok, but psychological strength also mandatory for better health and better strength.
Avamys
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 9:14:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Smoking causes a lot of diseases that can cause death. You may argue that everyone dies at the end, but if so, then murder would be legal. There is no doubt that all people will die, but that does not mean they do not want to live for a few more years and go round the world or something else. You are robbing people of the right to enjoy a few more years of life when you smoke, because when you exhale other people will breathe in the smoke.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:18:33 AM
Death is nothing, yes you are right but a slow and painful death offered by smoke-related cancer is enough to dissuade you from taking it any further.

That's my mom saying.
Alonso21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 1:16:37 PM
Well i guess you should not have done that if you took a step for leaving it than you should stick to it well i know for a fact that an addiction is very hard to leave.
Try to decrease the amount of cigarette you take everyday.And when you have one cigarette leave that may be it can help you.