Jump to topic:

ADD and ADHD

CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:11:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When I was a kid I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder. Now days it's Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and ADD no longer exists it seems. I'm not hyperactive at all and the medicines they gave me didn't really work. So a misdiagnoses? Or is this just some made up disorder that is a fake like some claim? Anyone else going through this?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:25:17 PM
Every child has a deficit of attention. Of course it varies from child to child. But I'll say that if the pharmaceutical industry is saying something (like all children better be prescribed ADD drugs), it's definitely always true... Sarcasm aside, I think a doctor (or someone more knowledgeable about this issue) may be able to provide you with a better answer...

From my experience, nearly every child in America could be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. So in my opinion, the rush to diagnose children with ADD and prescribe them medication is a sham.
Debate.org Moderator
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:36:30 PM
I agree all children have attention span problems, it's part of being a kid. But I still have the same issues at age 21.
And this is going to sound really pathetic, but I can't afford to go to a doctor so... ^^;
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:40:57 PM
At 4/11/2012 8:36:30 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
I agree all children have attention span problems, it's part of being a kid. But I still have the same issues at age 21.
And this is going to sound really pathetic, but I can't afford to go to a doctor so... ^^;

Any serious health issues shouldn't be ignored. If a doctor diagnosed you with something at some point in your life, keep assuming that what your doctor told you is true...

I suggest doing on-line/library research for anything else you specifically would like to be informed about in lieu of another diagnoses by a doctor, if that is not possible.
Debate.org Moderator
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:42:21 PM
Child ADD/ADHD does not exist. It's just an excuse for doctors to prescribe medicine to kids who are just being kids. Its like calling "being shy" or "being peppy" a mental disorder.
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:58:14 PM
: At 4/11/2012 8:42:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Child ADD/ADHD does not exist. It's just an excuse for doctors to prescribe medicine to kids who are just being kids. Its like calling "being shy" or "being peppy" a mental disorder.

So what of an adult who still has the attention span of a six year old?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:00:50 PM
At 4/11/2012 8:42:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

well this is wrong. 1% of cases (probably less) actually have ADD/ADHD. The other 99% of cases do not. It really is not all that widespread...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:06:20 PM
Here's what I've never understood, a lot of people have trouble concentrating on everything and I'm sure if they tried they could get prescribed adderall. Yet when it's not prescribed it's highly frowned upon.
What really gets me is there is some arbitrary "normal" and if you are above it you don't get any help on school work, but if you are below it you do get help?
Why can't we just let every college student who has trouble studying pop some Adderall?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:07:44 PM
At 4/11/2012 11:06:20 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Here's what I've never understood, a lot of people have trouble concentrating on everything and I'm sure if they tried they could get prescribed adderall. Yet when it's not prescribed it's highly frowned upon.
What really gets me is there is some arbitrary "normal" and if you are above it you don't get any help on school work, but if you are below it you do get help?
Why can't we just let every college student who has trouble studying pop some Adderall?

Because its a prescription drug...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:08:22 PM
At 4/11/2012 10:58:14 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
: At 4/11/2012 8:42:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

So what of an adult who still has the attention span of a six year old?

I'm certainly not qualified to answer that question, but I'd recommend doing things that train yourself into concentrating on tasks for longer. Sit in one place, turn off outside influences like, TV, radio etc, and make an attempt to work on something for extended periods of time...

Start with a smaller goal and keep increasing it until you are confident that you are capable of concentrating on things for an allotted period of time. A lot of these things are just a matter of will power, and if you believe your are incapable of doing so, you will never be capable of doing so.
Debate.org Moderator
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:30:03 AM
At 4/11/2012 8:42:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Child ADD/ADHD does not exist. It's just an excuse for doctors to prescribe medicine to kids who are just being kids.

I was going to say this. Yeah, it's just an excuse to give underperforming children speed. Of course, stating it plainly like that just won't do so we say, "Little Jonney has a mental disorder, so he is taking prescribed medication to overcome it". Sounds a lot better than "We give our son speed so he gets better grades".

I was diagnosed with ADD and was given ritalin. I went from C's and D's to A's and B's. I remember that everything suddenly was very interesting to me at school. But appearently my parents took me off of it because it was putting me in a bad mood.

I still have a hard time paying attention to certain things though - usually people talking. However, I can read, write and program for hours without being distracted. I don't see this as a disorder, though. It's just my personality. Certain things are boring to me just like other things are facinating to me. Everyone is like this. It's just that most people get bored with books are are intrigued by other people's conversations. Some people, like me, are the opposite.
Its like calling "being shy" or "being peppy" a mental disorder.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:35:54 AM
At 4/11/2012 8:11:35 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
When I was a kid I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder. Now days it's Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and ADD no longer exists it seems. I'm not hyperactive at all and the medicines they gave me didn't really work. So a misdiagnoses? Or is this just some made up disorder that is a fake like some claim? Anyone else going through this?

I thought ADD and ADHD were seperate diagnosis.

Anyway, as an adult, I noticed that the medicine doesn't work like it did when I was a kid. Actually, it just made me feel wierd and didn't do anything for my attention.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 9:19:03 PM
Western society calls it ADHD, Eastern society calls it disinterest. The difference is that one society allows amphetamines to be 'prescribed' and the other society uses psychological training practices.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 9:36:24 PM
At 4/11/2012 11:07:44 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Do away with prescriptions, problem solved

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 10:21:35 PM
At 4/15/2012 9:36:24 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/11/2012 11:07:44 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Do away with prescriptions, problem solved

it solves a lot of problems, save for the attention deficit. Kids just need to practice meditation to learn how to control their minds. Then in class they unconsciously employ thought settling techniques and concentration is now easier and viola, problem solved.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
renji_abarai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:39:03 PM
ADHD is very common and can actually be a good thing because they say, this is just a rumor, it helps you with sports and you most likely have more energy than people without ADHD
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 7:59:10 PM
At 4/18/2012 5:39:03 PM, renji_abarai wrote:
ADHD is very common and can actually be a good thing because they say, this is just a rumor, it helps you with sports and you most likely have more energy than people without ADHD

Oh I can attest to that first handed, middle school track a kid had it really bad and was one of our best runners. He was like the energizer bunny, just kept running.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:41:29 PM
At 4/18/2012 7:59:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Oh I can attest to that first handed, middle school track a kid had it really bad and was one of our best runners. He was like the energizer bunny, just kept running.

That's from taking speed.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 2:03:50 AM
At 4/18/2012 11:41:29 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:
At 4/18/2012 7:59:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That's from taking speed.

This was middle school, the kid didn't take his meds he did kart wheels down the hallway to the nurses office, he went crazy without drugs.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 2:17:57 AM
This is a sham. I was supposed to be diagnosed with this in elementary school. I ended up graduating second in my class and am currently attending an Ivy League school. Every child is attention deficit.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 2:20:40 AM
At 4/19/2012 2:17:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
This is a sham. I was supposed to be diagnosed with this in elementary school. I ended up graduating second in my class and am currently attending an Ivy League school. Every child is attention deficit.

This.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.