Jump to topic:

Lucid Dreams

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:36:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just wondering to all those people who are, say, "good dreamers". What I mean in this sense is that you can have a dream, and then remember lots of details within the dream.

As has been mentioned in the topic of this forum, the idea of "Lucid Dreams", the process where you are in the middle of a dream, and you are also aware that it is not real, but merely a fragment of your imagination (an actual dream).

Just wondering, is there anyway any person can instantly tell whether they are actually in a lucid dream? I find in books, where it talks about people "pinching themselves" or something of the likes. However, the idea of pinching yourself repeateteivly just to figure out whether you are in the middle of a dream seems very illogical and at the same time, rather stupid.

A few years ago, I read some articles that talked about what the dreams of people who are experiencing lucid dreams are like, and to me, it seems extremely awesome. The idea that you could somehow control everything within the dream with your own thought was mind-blowing.

However, for me, I have only had one lucid dream in my enitre life, and from now on, I have always failed ot have lucid dreams, sometimes living through nightmares that I thought actually existed and others which are simply boring things I cannot even bother to recall.

Can anyone from the DDO please share your experiences with your dreams? Have you ever had a lucid dream and what did you do to figure that out? Was it simply your common sense that when you saw flying people, you knew it had to be a dream?, or was it other factors that I have not mentioned?
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 4:17:57 PM
Hmm, this thread has been sitting here for three days.

Yes. I don't claim to know for sure how it happens but I have been lucid dreaming every night since around 12 years old when I first got the hang of it. I can give you what I think way be my techniques.

It started out by learning and applying what I called my "dream-logic". They are essentially odd-ball things that make sense for having certain consequences inside your head. For instance, the first one I ever recall finding is that I will instantly wake up or go to a different dream if I decided to hit my head really hard on something in the dream. Everyone has different dream-logic so this may not work for you. It's also why people who try to interpret dreams are full of bullshit. If dreams are accurately interpretable, it is only by you.

Obviously, the most important thing is realizing that you are dreaming in the first place. The way I think I may have achieved this so well is simply critical thinking. Odd things happen in dreams that wouldn't make sense in real life but you're simply not paying good enough attention to realize. You can try to reinforce critical thinking in dreams by simply getting into the habit, while you are awake, of asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not. I've noticed that people who get into things like Zen meditation, like myself, are always good at lucid dreaming. This is probably due to how much they are analyzing their state of consciousness during waking hours.

The more critical I have become of my perception of consciousness, the better my lucid dreaming has become. It's gotten to the stage where I can simply have anything happen, not just manipulating my own actions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 4:32:12 PM
At 5/7/2012 4:17:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Hmm, this thread has been sitting here for three days.

Yes. I don't claim to know for sure how it happens but I have been lucid dreaming every night since around 12 years old when I first got the hang of it. I can give you what I think way be my techniques.

It started out by learning and applying what I called my "dream-logic". They are essentially odd-ball things that make sense for having certain consequences inside your head. For instance, the first one I ever recall finding is that I will instantly wake up or go to a different dream if I decided to hit my head really hard on something in the dream. Everyone has different dream-logic so this may not work for you. It's also why people who try to interpret dreams are full of bullshit. If dreams are accurately interpretable, it is only by you.

Obviously, the most important thing is realizing that you are dreaming in the first place. The way I think I may have achieved this so well is simply critical thinking. Odd things happen in dreams that wouldn't make sense in real life but you're simply not paying good enough attention to realize. You can try to reinforce critical thinking in dreams by simply getting into the habit, while you are awake, of asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not. I've noticed that people who get into things like Zen meditation, like myself, are always good at lucid dreaming. This is probably due to how much they are analyzing their state of consciousness during waking hours.

The more critical I have become of my perception of consciousness, the better my lucid dreaming has become. It's gotten to the stage where I can simply have anything happen, not just manipulating my own actions.

This is what I was going to say. Lucid dreaming can be very fun when you get good at it. If I ever feel like having lucid dreams, I get into the habit of asking myself whether I'm dreaming at random points in my days. Anything with printed letters or numbers on it usually gets me when I'm in a dream. Trying to read is always a dead giveaway for me. Or trying to run.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 4:43:09 PM
Also, when you ask yourself "Am I dreaming?", convince yourself that you are.

Insanity has it's perks.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 4:46:02 PM
At 5/7/2012 4:43:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Also, when you ask yourself "Am I dreaming?", convince yourself that you are.

Insanity has it's perks.

hehe
Dreaming sometimes needs a little more waking-life logic to be awesome.
But sometimes waking-life needs a little bit of dream logic to be awesome.

I agree ^_^
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 7:59:03 AM
I really want to lucid dream. Haven't tried in awhile though....
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:22:32 PM
I enjoy lucid dreaming. I've never heard of a way to 'instantly tell.' Instant implies that you could immediately become aware of the dream state, and whenever that actually happens the subject usually awakens. Lucid dreams have to be held gently, and a powerful dream may or may not end up being lucid. It almost seems like the dream awareness has to arise exponentially all the way to the time of waking, or else the hypnotic state will be shattered. Using astral projection as a method of inducing lucid dreams is the easiest way to train your awareness to recognize a dream state - and successful lucid dreaming almost always is the result of consciously experiencing the entire process of the transition of the body falling into sleep paralysis while the mind continues to wander.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 1:27:31 AM
I remeber once I had this dream were aliens were invading Earth. Then, I said to my brother, "You think I'm dreaming?" and he said, "Lets check."

So, this massive alien charged us, and I punched it through a wall, and we're like "Definitely dreaming."

Then, I just did epic stuff.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 5:43:47 AM
Well, this is rich. When I try to remember my dreams, I can't. When I don't want to remember them, I do.

I guess I won't be able to lucid dream after all :/
carpediem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 9:09:50 AM
If you're interested in lucid dreaming you need to check out polyphasic sleeping :D
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 1:18:52 AM
When I was around 10, I started having crazy recurring nightmares. As a coping mechanism, a counselor taught me lucid dreaming techniques. There were lots of steps but they focused on pre-sleep repetitions, focusing on images I suspected would appear during the nightmares, and a lot of journal before and after sleeping. The nightmares haven't stopped but now every dream I remember is lucid.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:48:29 PM
At 7/28/2012 1:18:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:
When I was around 10, I started having crazy recurring nightmares. As a coping mechanism, a counselor taught me lucid dreaming techniques. There were lots of steps but they focused on pre-sleep repetitions, focusing on images I suspected would appear during the nightmares, and a lot of journal before and after sleeping. The nightmares haven't stopped but now every dream I remember is lucid.

All your dreams are lucid? Like, you can control them the whole time and do whatever you want? If only I was so lucky... I tried many techniques, but they never worked for me. I suggest dreamviews.com for anyone who wants to learn how to have them LDs.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 10:45:54 AM
At 7/29/2012 5:48:29 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/28/2012 1:18:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:

All your dreams are lucid? Like, you can control them the whole time and do whatever you want? If only I was so lucky... I tried many techniques, but they never worked for me. I suggest dreamviews.com for anyone who wants to learn how to have them LDs.

Yeah, every dream I have (that I remember) is lucid. It's actually really terrible. I am so aware of myself and my actions in them that when I wake up, I don't feel rested at all. Thankfully, I only remember dreaming once or twice a week.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 12:03:39 AM
I have lucid dreams almost every night. When I wake up I can usually recall what happened for the most part only in those first few minutes of waking up. After that time, my mind just starts to fill in the blanks so the speak, of the story. When I'm dreaming, I find myself in some sort of weird situation usually, but then I "take control". I realize that I'm dreaming and I start to do what ever I want. For example, I could be getting chased by killer and running so slowly, but when I start lucid dreaming, I'm aware of what's happening and I just start to run faster or in most cases just take flight. One time, my roommate's alarm was going off and i could hear it in my dream. I was talking to someone in my dream, heard it, and told them to, "Hold on". Then I walked away somewhere and I woke up, and woke my roommate up so he could turn his alarm off. It was pretty crazy.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire