Jump to topic:

Random Asthma attacks

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 6:25:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Recently I've been having random Asthma attacks several times a day. There seems to be no consistent factor causing them and my medication does nothing.
In the past my asthma has been kept easily under control; provided I took my medication I could run long distance easily (my preferred distance is 10k, though I was more than competent up to and including 26 miles). Now I can't run for fear of an asthma attack occurring during the run - I have fallen unconscious twice during a run, I'm not willing to risk a third.
Now I'm waking up in the night struggling to breath. I'd see a doctor, but I hate doctors, so I thought I'd whine about it here. If anyone knows anything about what might cause this, I'd appreciate input.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 10:47:04 AM
At 5/11/2012 8:21:38 AM, Ren wrote:
Have you investigated allergies?

I thought Asthma was essentially an allergic reaction, so my current medication is meant to be dealing with that. Is it normal to suddenly develop allergies?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:30:17 AM
At 5/11/2012 10:47:04 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
I thought Asthma was essentially an allergic reaction, so my current medication is meant to be dealing with that. Is it normal to suddenly develop allergies?
Yes. However, symptoms could've appeared even years before you realized you suffered from that condition. It's an allergy because your body overreacts to certain substances. Do you have hay fever? That can often be a predecessor to asthma.

Any antihistamine medicine should be good at treating allergic reactions.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:57:14 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:30:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/11/2012 10:47:04 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Yes. However, symptoms could've appeared even years before you realized you suffered from that condition. It's an allergy because your body overreacts to certain substances. Do you have hay fever? That can often be a predecessor to asthma.

I don't have hay fever, but I have had asthma since I was ten. The problem is that my asthma medication doesn't work on these attacks, and they happen randomly, whereas before I had triggers.

Any antihistamine medicine should be good at treating allergic reactions.

Thanks. I'll get some and see what that does.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:57:34 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:33:49 AM, Mirza wrote:
And you should consult a doctor, you could end up having many regrets by not treating your condition as early as possible.

You are probably right, but it is a load of hassle.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:26:02 PM
Herbal medicines are often a lot better than the standard pharmaceutical ones, especially because they don't come with side-effects. Consider drinking peppermint tea, it can relieve your symptoms.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 8:29:41 AM
At 5/12/2012 8:28:23 AM, tulle wrote:
Are you sure they are all asthma attacks and some are not panic attacks?

Nevermind, I somehow missed the part where you said you fell unconscious.
yang.
kyrani99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 9:13:39 AM
At 5/11/2012 6:25:08 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Recently I've been having random Asthma attacks several times a day. There seems to be no consistent factor causing them and my medication does nothing.
In the past my asthma has been kept easily under control; provided I took my medication I could run long distance easily (my preferred distance is 10k, though I was more than competent up to and including 26 miles). Now I can't run for fear of an asthma attack occurring during the run - I have fallen unconscious twice during a run, I'm not willing to risk a third.
Now I'm waking up in the night struggling to breath. I'd see a doctor, but I hate doctors, so I thought I'd whine about it here. If anyone knows anything about what might cause this, I'd appreciate input.

Hi,
If you document your attacks you may find that they may indicate something or someone.

I doubt that asthma is most often allergic reactions. See here the second example on this post http://kyrani99.wordpress.com... on what I discovered about allergies.

I suspect astham is in the same sort of category as panic attacks and according to my findings they are not mental disorders as the doctors claim. You can read here http://kyrani99.wordpress.com... about panic attacks but to get a good appreciation you will need to read through the previous posts.
My findings on disease and my solutions
https://kyrani99.wordpress.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 9:24:56 AM
Sometimes asthma stops responding to certain treatments. It happens. You should consult your doctor.

Long-Acting Bronchodilators: Long-acting bronchodilators, similar to the quick-relief asthma treatment medications, but last for 12 or more hours, may be combined with inhaled steroids in patients with persistent asthma symptoms not responding to inhaled steroids alone. Patients will still need to use their quick-relief inhaler.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)