Jump to topic:

Aspartame Studies

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 12:14:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm looking for studies as to the effects of aspartame. If anyone happens to know of solid research(regardless of pro/con) I would appreciate it.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 4:55:48 PM
At 5/20/2012 4:45:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Google Scholar is your friend: http://scholar.google.com...

Oh

Em

Gee

Wow... it's like... searching!

Haha, the reason I asked is because I have an expanding list of studies to go through, and was hoping someone might know some of the 'better' ones.

I'm really hoping to find something like geocities.com/aspartameisbad4you that I can use as an extremely respectable source...

- The Jed
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:52:31 PM
Here's the first study I'm looking at.

http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov... … /ehp.10271

Three groups of rats were observed from birth to death. One group was given no aspartame, one was given a dose of 400ppm aspartame in their food, and the last given a dose of 2000ppm aspartame.

Cancers

Control Group - 24.2% of males and 44.2% of females had at least one tumor at death.
400ppm Group - 25.7% of males and 44.3% of females had at least one tumor at death.
2000ppm Group - 40% of males and 52.9% of females had at least one tumor.

Survival Rate

Between 64 and 112 weeks of age(mid-life for these rats), the survival rate for the 400ppm and 2000ppm groups was 10-20% lower than the control group.

The paper mentions that the toxic effects are worse for the rats if they start them on it at a young age, and raises concerns over aspartame-containing drinks that human children often drink. It also shows indirectly that the effects take time to build up, as differences in the groups didn't really show up until 64 weeks.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:02:56 PM
We did a report on Aspartame. It was approved through the FDA back before there were stricter measures to prevent corruption from interfering with the process. Basically, a guy with financial interests in aspartame became FDA commissioner and hired a board to review it. It ended up in favor for not approving the FDA. He then added people onto the board who also had conflicts of interest and participated in a tie-breaking vote, leading to Aspartame being approved.

There aren't any long-term studies of aspartame in humans with any significance because there are too many variables to count. The ones in rats do show carcinogenicity.

Also, it needs to be said that the degree of absorption of aspartame changes with certain parameters. For example, when you are dehydrated, you actually take in 4-10 times the amount of aspartame it says on the label. Drinking 2-3 diet cokes containing caffeine (a diuretic) all day without drinking a lot of water will lead you to ingest aspartame at levels above recommendations.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 12:53:19 AM
Artificial sweeteners are a cheat. If you want sweetness, then pay the fvcking price and take in the calories from the sugar. Trying the cheat the calories without actually exercising the fortitude to control your urges is obviously not going to work because that's not how life ever works. If life did work that way, then I'd spend all my time high on cocaine, sipping on sweetened alcoholic beverages, relaxing in a lawn-chair and eating munchies. Even if all this were legal and economically feasible, it still wouldn't lead to happiness because indulgence is both its own pleasure and its own punishment. There's no chemical that will ever be invented that circumvents the basic morality of the subject. If we appear to have found one, then it will inevitably be linked to even more dire problems (in this case cancer) and most likely others that we haven't even discovered yet. We will no doubt find that cancer isn't the only thing wrong with the chemicals, however the human body (like Kleptin attested to) is complex to the point where it may take a long time.
Rob