Jump to topic:

Contemplating Veganism...

Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:32:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Lately I've been contemplating veganism, but I'm a bit worried about the possible health consequences if done incorrectly. I understand that it can be extremely health-benefiting, but I'm usually ridiculously busy with school and rarely have time to plan out my meals and nutrition intake.

Are there any vegans that could give me a word of advice? Is veganism too difficultly maintained with a busy schedule, or do you think it's obtainable?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:33:24 PM
Take B-12 vitamin pills. Other than that, everything should be good.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 1:49:19 PM
I've been a vegan for about 6 years now and it's extremely easy. Like LordKnuckle said, as long as you have a daily source of B12 (which you can also get from fortified foods like soy milk, gronola bars, etc.) you will be fine.

Here is a good resource for becoming vegan: http://vegankit.com...

If you're super concerned about your health, a great book is available called Becoming Vegan that goes through all the details of vegan nutrition. But in the end, if you eat a reasonable diet that is free from animal foods, you will improve your health.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 9:18:50 PM
I'm a pescetarian (vegetarian that eats fish, essentially) and I've never felt better. Once you cut the simple carbohydrates out of your diet, you feel so much better afterwards. There will be a 3-day period where you'll probably feel like an addict wanting some carbs and you'll probably get some nasty headaches; but one you get past that you're in the clear.
turn down for h'what
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 11:46:08 AM
I'm so glad I found this; thanks for bringing it up! I recently watched this documentary called "Forks over Knives" that lays out all the health benefits of eating a plant-based diet instead of consuming mainly animal-based foods that are saturated with GMO's, hormones & mass amounts of antibiotics. Everyone should watch it.
The most amazing study was done by this Dr. who had cancer patients (24 of them, if I remember correctly) who were all given less than 6mths to live by their own doctors. ALL of them are alive 12 yrs later. I won't go cold turkey with my meat, but I'd like to cut down to organic chicken/turkey only and see if how I feel after few months. I'll just add B12 to my shopping list.
Tiffany
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:45:57 PM
At 7/23/2012 9:18:50 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
I'm a pescetarian (vegetarian that eats fish, essentially) and I've never felt better. Once you cut the simple carbohydrates out of your diet, you feel so much better afterwards. There will be a 3-day period where you'll probably feel like an addict wanting some carbs and you'll probably get some nasty headaches; but one you get past that you're in the clear.

Awesome! Do pescetarians not eat carbohydrates?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:48:52 PM
At 7/23/2012 1:49:19 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I've been a vegan for about 6 years now and it's extremely easy. Like LordKnuckle said, as long as you have a daily source of B12 (which you can also get from fortified foods like soy milk, gronola bars, etc.) you will be fine.

Here is a good resource for becoming vegan: http://vegankit.com...

If you're super concerned about your health, a great book is available called Becoming Vegan that goes through all the details of vegan nutrition. But in the end, if you eat a reasonable diet that is free from animal foods, you will improve your health.

Thank you! That helps a lot. I'm considering it for both health and moral reasons, and I've heard very good things about veganism. Just the feeling of eating meat, the concept of eating another living thing...Not my thing. But I was raised on it, so until now I never really thought twice about what I was eating.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:52:53 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:32:23 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Lately I've been contemplating veganism, but I'm a bit worried about the possible health consequences if done incorrectly. I understand that it can be extremely health-benefiting, but I'm usually ridiculously busy with school and rarely have time to plan out my meals and nutrition intake.

Are there any vegans that could give me a word of advice? Is veganism too difficultly maintained with a busy schedule, or do you think it's obtainable?

If you do do it, don't turn into a a self righteous ahole like a lot of vegans do towards people who choose not to. And don't try to petition govt to strip people of personal liberties because they choose not to be a vegetarian. Other than that, go for it, what ever makes you happy!!
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:06:57 PM
At 7/24/2012 11:46:08 AM, Tiffany1billion wrote:
I'm so glad I found this; thanks for bringing it up! I recently watched this documentary called "Forks over Knives" that lays out all the health benefits of eating a plant-based diet instead of consuming mainly animal-based foods that are saturated with GMO's,

pretty much all plants are gmo's, this is probably where animals get gmos from since there are no gmo animals on the market currently.

hormones

not a whole lot, and moreso in the milk than the meat. also none in pork or chicken.

& mass amounts of antibiotics.

i think the main reason ab's are a problem is they lead to resistant bacteria. this isnt a problem if you cook your meat, especially if you are an otherwise healthy person.

Everyone should watch it.
The most amazing study was done by this Dr. who had cancer patients (24 of them, if I remember correctly) who were all given less than 6mths to live by their own doctors. ALL of them are alive 12 yrs later. I won't go cold turkey with my meat, but I'd like to cut down to organic chicken/turkey only and see if how I feel after few months. I'll just add B12 to my shopping list.

i looked for this study and couldnt find it, id be really interested in looking at it if you could let me know where to find it.

im not anti-veganism or anything like that, i dont even have a problem with preachy ones(if you think youve found something that could drastically improve my life, for gods sake tell me about it-christians, vegans, rastafarians whatever) but i think we tend to overexaggerate the problem. certainly eating more fruits and vegetables and less refined carbs and high fat meats will improve our health, but after doing all these things i dont think removing all meat has drastic effects on your health.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:09:10 PM

Thank you! That helps a lot. I'm considering it for both health and moral reasons, and I've heard very good things about veganism. Just the feeling of eating meat, the concept of eating another living thing...Not my thing. But I was raised on it, so until now I never really thought twice about what I was eating.

plants are living things
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 3:45:06 PM
At 7/24/2012 7:52:53 PM, sadolite wrote:

If you do do it, don't turn into a a self righteous ahole like a lot of vegans do towards people who choose not to. And don't try to petition govt to strip people of personal liberties because they choose not to be a vegetarian. Other than that, go for it, what ever makes you happy!!

Hahaha, definitely not. People like that really disgust me...
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 3:47:21 PM
At 7/24/2012 10:09:10 PM, kogline wrote:

plants are living things

Yeah, I caught that after I posted it, LOL. I meant living things that can suffer. Thus far we have no reason the believe plants can suffer...
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:07:44 PM
At 7/24/2012 10:06:57 PM, kogline wrote:
At 7/24/2012 11:46:08 AM, Tiffany1billion wrote:
I'm so glad I found this; thanks for bringing it up! I recently watched this documentary called "Forks over Knives" that lays out all the health benefits of eating a plant-based diet instead of consuming mainly animal-based foods that are saturated with GMO's,

pretty much all plants are gmo's, this is probably where animals get gmos from since there are no gmo animals on the market currently.

hormones

not a whole lot, and moreso in the milk than the meat. also none in pork or chicken.

& mass amounts of antibiotics.

i think the main reason ab's are a problem is they lead to resistant bacteria. this isnt a problem if you cook your meat, especially if you are an otherwise healthy person.

Everyone should watch it.

i looked for this study and couldnt find it, id be really interested in looking at it if you could let me know where to find it.

im not anti-veganism or anything like that, i dont even have a problem with preachy ones(if you think youve found something that could drastically improve my life, for gods sake tell me about it-christians, vegans, rastafarians whatever) but i think we tend to overexaggerate the problem. certainly eating more fruits and vegetables and less refined carbs and high fat meats will improve our health, but after doing all these things i dont think removing all meat has drastic effects on your health.

I learned about the study by watching "Forks over Knives". I can't remember the doctor's name, but I'll review the documentary and get his name as well as some more info on the study. I'm not a vegetarian (or vegan), but I know quite of few people who are, and they swear by their diets. I eat primarily chicken and turkey now; I eat a pretty fair amount of dairy products too. After watching that movie, I'm seriously considering at least trying to cut down on some of that stuff..
Tiffany
Tiffany1billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:09:26 PM
At 7/25/2012 3:47:21 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/24/2012 10:09:10 PM, kogline wrote:

plants are living things

Yeah, I caught that after I posted it, LOL. I meant living things that can suffer. Thus far we have no reason the believe plants can suffer...
I couldn't resist...
Tiffany
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 3:43:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/22/2012 7:33:24 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I take about 10 different supplements. B-12 isn't enough. You'll need calcium, vitamin D, flax seed a multivitamin and some more stuff that escapes my thoughts right now.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 6:48:28 PM
At 7/29/2014 3:43:51 PM, Wylted wrote:

I take about 10 different supplements. B-12 isn't enough. You'll need calcium, vitamin D, flax seed a multivitamin and some more stuff that escapes my thoughts right now.

Flaxseeds may reduce your risk of developing heart disease but it isn't required. I think you are too worried about suppliements. I take zero supplements and I'm fine.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 6:51:14 PM
At 7/29/2014 6:48:28 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Flaxseeds may reduce your risk of developing heart disease but it isn't required. I think you are too worried about suppliements. I take zero supplements and I'm fine.

Maybe I am too worried about it, but most vegans 91% have a b12 deficiency and that doesn't even include the other vitamin deficiencies.
TheNight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 2:08:39 PM

Since you are doing this for health reasons, I would recommend starting off as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. You could ease into it slowly removing meat from your diet. Make sure to replace meat with alternatives such as legumes and wide varieties of vegetables. For being a non-lacto-ovo vegetarian, I would recommend eating plenty of fruits and grains in the morning. For lunch, maybe a salad with at least 5 different ingredients, a small handful of nuts--such as walnuts--, and some beans and rice. Pasta can always be on the menu (There are vegan pastas but you can have cheat days) You could make lunch smaller by buying some vegan burger patties at a store and making a sandwich including lettuce tomatoes avocado and maybe some sprouts. Dinner, preferably a smaller meal than lunch. You can have anything for Sorbet to vegan pie. If you want to be even "healthier about it" make a fruit smoothie and have some crackers. Be sure to drink water around an hour before each meal to stay hydrated.

I've been a non-lacto-ovo vegetarian most of my life and I've helped friends become vegetarian.
-TheNight
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 2:43:04 PM

You should ask your endocrinologist. It doesn't represent any health issue if done properly, and I tend to think vegans are such a kind individuals! :)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:19:01 PM
At 7/29/2014 6:51:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

Maybe I am too worried about it, but most vegans 91% have a b12 deficiency and that doesn't even include the other vitamin deficiencies.

B12 is a reasonable vitamin to ensure you're getting. However, the rest aren't a concern for vegans anymore than they are for non-vegans. For example, pretty much everyone who works and lives indoors needs vitamin D supplimentation which they usually get from OJ or milk (which are also fortified with calcium). If you are drinking a fortified plant-based milk or OJ regularly, then you are at no disadvantage to non-vegans in this regard.

There are a lot of people who are confused about this and many meat-eaters use this confusion as justification to defend their meat eating. Don't fall for their non-sense.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 5:11:52 PM
At 7/30/2014 3:19:01 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 7/29/2014 6:51:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

B12 is a reasonable vitamin to ensure you're getting. However, the rest aren't a concern for vegans anymore than they are for non-vegans. For example, pretty much everyone who works and lives indoors needs vitamin D supplimentation which they usually get from OJ or milk (which are also fortified with calcium). If you are drinking a fortified plant-based milk or OJ regularly, then you are at no disadvantage to non-vegans in this regard.

There are a lot of people who are confused about this and many meat-eaters use this confusion as justification to defend their meat eating. Don't fall for their non-sense.

Most vegans have a hard time getting Zinc, Iron, B12, Calcium and Omega 3's.

I supplement using all these plus I use plant based protein powder, because I lift weights.

I honestly do drink fortified juices and almond milk also, so I only take 50% of the RDA in pill form as far as calcium is concerned, but this is still supplementation.

Before anyone goes vegan they need to research the biggest and most common vitamin deficiencies associated with veganism. They need to know the diet is very restrictive and tough, otherwise eating this way will be unsustainable.

If you tell people how easy it is their be dietary habits won't be as sustainable and they will be worse off in the long run as a result of it.