Jump to topic:

How dangerous is ketosis?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:49:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm sure I could research this, but I wanted to have a discussion instead. How dangerous is it for the body to go into ketosis? I gained a bit of weight (about 4 lbs.) over the summer and I want to lose enough so that I weigh less than my siblings in middle school. It's not technically healthy to weigh my target weight, but it gives me buffer room in case something happens during the school year. I'm not going to tell you what the target is or how much I need to lose, but I will say that I am not overweight, obese, or underweight. I probably could just work it off with exercise, but this sounds easier and I don't want to go to the gym.

How difficult is it to maintain a low-carb diet? Does anybody have personal experience with this?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:58:49 PM
Just run every day
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:00:20 PM
At 8/13/2012 8:58:49 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Just run every day

That's gradual weigh loss. I want instant weight loss, and if my body goes into ketosis, I can lose 10 lbs. a week.

I'm not going to weigh less than my middle-school siblings if I run. Plus, I don't really need to run b/c I have a "healthy" BMI.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:05:38 PM
At 8/13/2012 9:00:20 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Just run every day

That's gradual weigh loss. I want instant weight loss, and if my body goes into ketosis, I can lose 10 lbs. a week.

I'm not going to weigh less than my middle-school siblings if I run. Plus, I don't really need to run b/c I have a "healthy" BMI.

Instant weight loss? Burning calories is never going to be instant, cutting off a limb is.
As far as I understand Ketosis it's simply burning more calories than you consume so all you have to do is eat less and run more.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:07:04 PM
At 8/13/2012 9:05:38 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Just run every day

Instant weight loss? Burning calories is never going to be instant, cutting off a limb is.
As far as I understand Ketosis it's simply burning more calories than you consume so all you have to do is eat less and run more.

Don't you have to completely demolish your carb count?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:10:36 PM
At 8/13/2012 9:07:56 PM, tulle wrote:
Why do you want to weigh less than your siblings? :/

I don't know. I just feel like not weighing very much.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 1:02:27 AM
For most of human history, say the first 190,000 years or so, ketosis was virtually all the human body ever knew. If anything, your body is better suited to a low glycemic diet than the diet you have now.

To better ensure your body is catabolising fat exclusively, you should throw in some heavy resistance training along with your cardio so your body doesn't decide to eat your muscle instead.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 1:10:48 AM
Forgot to mention where I'm coming from on this. I'm a competitive powerlifter and wrestler. Cutting and bulking, especially in a short period of time, is something we specialize in.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 1:57:06 PM
Just run every day

I'm not going to weigh less than my middle-school siblings if I run. Plus, I don't really need to run b/c I have a "healthy" BMI.:

There's no good reason why you should ever desire to weigh less than a middle school child. That's neither healthy physically, nor mentally. I'm a little more concerned with your perception of your own body image than anything else.

Eat right and work out. Everyone should be doing this anyway.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:03:26 PM
Just run every day

That's gradual weigh loss. I want instant weight loss,

Cut off a few limbs.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:04:36 PM
At 8/15/2012 10:03:26 PM, phantom wrote:
Just run every day

That's gradual weigh loss. I want instant weight loss,

Cut off a few limbs.

And of course someone else already said the same thing. >.<
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:45:44 PM
At 8/14/2012 1:02:27 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
For most of human history, say the first 190,000 years or so, ketosis was virtually all the human body ever knew. If anything, your body is better suited to a low glycemic diet than the diet you have now.

To better ensure your body is catabolising fat exclusively, you should throw in some heavy resistance training along with your cardio so your body doesn't decide to eat your muscle instead.

This.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:09:51 PM
At 8/13/2012 8:49:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I'm sure I could research this, but I wanted to have a discussion instead. How dangerous is it for the body to go into ketosis? I gained a bit of weight (about 4 lbs.) over the summer and I want to lose enough so that I weigh less than my siblings in middle school. It's not technically healthy to weigh my target weight, but it gives me buffer room in case something happens during the school year. I'm not going to tell you what the target is or how much I need to lose, but I will say that I am not overweight, obese, or underweight. I probably could just work it off with exercise, but this sounds easier and I don't want to go to the gym.

How difficult is it to maintain a low-carb diet? Does anybody have personal experience with this?

Low carb diets are probably safe, but there's so much stereotypical misconception implied by your post that I feel the need to give a detailed response.

First of all, 4 pounds is not a lot, especially if it will bring you below a healthy weight to lose it again.

Second, what do mean by you need "buffer room in case something happens?" Something like what?

Also, your comments about weighing less than your little siblings makes me suspect that this is a troll account again, and wasn't it? I'm really confused there. If not, then you should seek someone to talk to about that particular issue.

Moreover, focus on weight loss/gain only is totally asinine. Which isn't your fault, but rather society's. Far more important is body composition. i.e. Lean muscle mass compared to body fat percentage. You could probably gain 10 pounds of muscle and you would like the way you looked better than ever. The socially-induced fear of being overly muscular in women is total crap. Females produce FAR less testosterone than males, making rapid muscle gain laughably difficult and limited in comparison, and even we have a hard enough time when we try to gain it.

I actually had an ex-grilfriend who I helped achieve this, as she was technically "overweight" for her height and had related confidence issues. I helped her lift, and helped her improve her diet, and she underwent a transformation where she probably gained some muscle, even though she already had a good amount (actually the main reason she was "overweight"), and lost body fat. She looked better than ever. She probably also had relatively high testosterone for a female (very strong and aggressive), and actually lost weight by lifting and eating less carbs and more protein. I strongly recommend lifting, or some kind of resistance training, to everyone in general, and especially those looking to improve their weight/looks/heath/etc.

So once you gained a few pounds of muscle, your looks would improve more than if you simply lost some "weight" (some fat but more muscle), and would increase your base metabolism and fat-burning anyways. It also lasts longer, as almost any behavior that simply results in "weight loss" consequently results in a rebounding weight gain. Looking skinny doesn't mean looking attractive, and it doesn't imply health or lack of body fat whatsoever. It's all about body composition.

Back to one final thing about low-carb diets. Despite what some doctors say, I think ketosis is probably safe on a frequent basis, but you should also add in high-carb days, as part of a cycle. Even if it's only one per week. Professional bodybuilders, fitness competitors, etc. all do it this way. I strongly suggest, again, combining it with resistance training.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 3:43:03 PM
At 8/16/2012 2:09:51 PM, mark.marrocco wrote:

Low carb diets are probably safe, but there's so much stereotypical misconception implied by your post that I feel the need to give a detailed response.

First of all, 4 pounds is not a lot, especially if it will bring you below a healthy weight to lose it again.

Second, what do mean by you need "buffer room in case something happens?" Something like what?

Also, your comments about weighing less than your little siblings makes me suspect that this is a troll account again, and wasn't it? I'm really confused there. If not, then you should seek someone to talk to about that particular issue.

Moreover, focus on weight loss/gain only is totally asinine. Which isn't your fault, but rather society's. Far more important is body composition. i.e. Lean muscle mass compared to body fat percentage. You could probably gain 10 pounds of muscle and you would like the way you looked better than ever. The socially-induced fear of being overly muscular in women is total crap. Females produce FAR less testosterone than males, making rapid muscle gain laughably difficult and limited in comparison, and even we have a hard enough time when we try to gain it.

I actually had an ex-grilfriend who I helped achieve this, as she was technically "overweight" for her height and had related confidence issues. I helped her lift, and helped her improve her diet, and she underwent a transformation where she probably gained some muscle, even though she already had a good amount (actually the main reason she was "overweight"), and lost body fat. She looked better than ever. She probably also had relatively high testosterone for a female (very strong and aggressive), and actually lost weight by lifting and eating less carbs and more protein. I strongly recommend lifting, or some kind of resistance training, to everyone in general, and especially those looking to improve their weight/looks/heath/etc.

So once you gained a few pounds of muscle, your looks would improve more than if you simply lost some "weight" (some fat but more muscle), and would increase your base metabolism and fat-burning anyways. It also lasts longer, as almost any behavior that simply results in "weight loss" consequently results in a rebounding weight gain. Looking skinny doesn't mean looking attractive, and it doesn't imply health or lack of body fat whatsoever. It's all about body composition.

Back to one final thing about low-carb diets. Despite what some doctors say, I think ketosis is probably safe on a frequent basis, but you should also add in high-carb days, as part of a cycle. Even if it's only one per week. Professional bodybuilders, fitness competitors, etc. all do it this way. I strongly suggest, again, combining it with resistance training.

I agree here.

OP, if you plan on cutting carbs and creating a calorie deficit without hitting the gym, you're setting yourself up to lose more muscle than fat. The thing is, muscle cells are calorically expensive while fat cells take little more than a functioning pulse to keep around. You could lose those 4lbs and end up looking fatter than when you started.

Consider this; you could take up moderate to heavy resistance training, over-eat so you gain a few pounds and actually end up leaner than when you started because you've offset your lean body mass (LBM) to total mass ratio in favour of your LBM.

Ultimately, whether your goal is relative to your total body weight or just your appearance, not incorporating resistance training is a big mistake.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 8:40:06 PM
I just got back from running 10 miles and I can tell you that if you want the goods you have to work for it. Forget the miracles. Eat healthy, limit your carbs, and the carbs you do eat should be wheat. That's 100% whole wheat bread (not just "wheat" bread), wheat pasta, and brown rice. The white carbs don't make your body work hard enough for the energy. Of course stay away from simple sugars at all costs.

Honestly, you don't sound like you're ready to do the right thing, you sound like you've got bad motives in mind. When you're ready to exercise and eat right you'll have the body of your dreams, but otherwise good luck.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 8:45:32 PM
Honestly, you don't sound like you're ready to do the right thing, you sound like you've got bad motives in mind. When you're ready to exercise and eat right you'll have the body of your dreams, but otherwise good luck.:

Bad motives for sure. I'm more concerned with her borderline bulemia than I am with ketosis. There's no reason an adult should ever desire to weigh less than a kid in junior high.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 8:48:33 PM
The human body was designed to run. Just like a car was designed to drive on roads. Not only are our bodies designed for jogging (for the hunt), but our brains are specifically designed for one thing and one thing only - to guide our muscles in an elegant, controlled fashion. We aren't great computation, memory... the things that computers do well. As much as a calculator defeats you at math, you can defeat any known creation at things like pouring a can of soda, walking, etc. Use your body for what it was meant for and everything will fall into place.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:01:08 PM
At 8/17/2012 8:45:32 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Honestly, you don't sound like you're ready to do the right thing, you sound like you've got bad motives in mind. When you're ready to exercise and eat right you'll have the body of your dreams, but otherwise good luck.:

Bad motives for sure. I'm more concerned with her borderline bulemia than I am with ketosis. There's no reason an adult should ever desire to weigh less than a kid in junior high.

Paladin, anorexia and bulemia are mental disorders. You may not be anorexic yet in terms of being thin, but you are certainly anorexic in your mind (I certainly hope you haven't resorted to purging yet, if you have then you need to seek help IMMEDIATELY). One symptom is having the carnival fun-mirror perception; you look in the mirror and although you aren't actually fat, you feel like you are. I dated an anorexic-bulimic for 6 months and she would just stand in front of the mirror sighing every few moments, turning around and looking at herself from different angles. This girl was wasting away; she looked like a starving African child ready to die. Yet she still saw herself as fat. It really, really sounds like you are headed towards that state of mind and if you slip into it it will ruin your life. You won't be able to work, go to school, hold relationships, or do just about anything because you'll not only not be healthy enough to but the associated depression will push everything and everyone else out. Anorexia is a slow death. I have no idea exactly how it is treated but if I were you I'd start by letting your closest family and friends know what's on your mind so they can give you some positive feedback, and you might need some counseling. Don't pass it off as nothing because you'll get worse in slow increments and when you finally look up and realize what's happened you'll be too far gone to treat at all. If you aren't eating two or three GOOD meals a day and keeping them down then you need clinical help or it will take over your life. Don't resort to trying to be intellectual on the subject, drop the ketosis BS and make sure you are eating. If you want to get thin, find a fun way to exercise and do it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:03:42 PM
If you do cross that line and start purging, you will be opening up a huge can of worms because that becomes highly addictive and that monkey is very hard to get off your back. When I was with Liz, we'd be hanging out for a day or two and then she would get that look in her eyes all of a sudden and I'd know it was coming... she'd say she had to leave and I knew why but there was nothing I could do to stop her.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 4:13:32 PM
At 8/16/2012 3:43:03 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 8/16/2012 2:09:51 PM, mark.marrocco wrote:

I agree here.

OP, if you plan on cutting carbs and creating a calorie deficit without hitting the gym, you're setting yourself up to lose more muscle than fat. The thing is, muscle cells are calorically expensive while fat cells take little more than a functioning pulse to keep around. You could lose those 4lbs and end up looking fatter than when you started.

Consider this; you could take up moderate to heavy resistance training, over-eat so you gain a few pounds and actually end up leaner than when you started because you've offset your lean body mass (LBM) to total mass ratio in favour of your LBM.

Ultimately, whether your goal is relative to your total body weight or just your appearance, not incorporating resistance training is a big mistake.

Exactly.
Noradrenergic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 8:36:06 AM

This would be recommended against by any good nutritionist or pediatrician. High protein diets have been shown to have a number of negative health effects, and given that high protein insinuates increased red meat intake, I wouldn't suggest it either. The health effects associated with red meat consumption are demonstrably quite problematic.

Regarding ketosis, I don't know...From what I've seen in friends, I would be worried about bad breath.
Noradrenergic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 8:37:48 AM

This is like saying that sickle cell anemia gene is still advantageous in societies where malaria has been eradicated. I would like to see your sources please.

Cheers.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:15:43 AM
At 10/23/2012 8:37:48 AM, Noradrenergic wrote:

This is like saying that sickle cell anemia gene is still advantageous in societies where malaria has been eradicated. I would like to see your sources please.

Cheers.

Given your analogy, consciously losing weight would be like going into an area that's still stricken with malaria. So yes, it would be advantageous.
The neolithic revolution happened roughly 10,000 years ago (190,000 years into the existence of homo sapiens), which is when plants took over as the main food-source for humans [1].

When it comes to being fat, carbs are more to blame than fats and proteins. This is common knowledge amongst the fitness crowd [2] [4]. If you want to cut fat, you've got to cut carbs.

Finally, the fact that we've spent 190,000 years eating fats and proteins almost exclusively have designed out bodies in such a way that we can actually survive perfectly fine without grains or carbs in general, but not without protein or fat [3]. You can live your whole life with a negligible carb intake, but try that with proteins or fats and you'll die of malnutrition.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://www.t-nation.com...
3. http://www.perfectfit.ie...
4. http://www.t-nation.com...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 12:53:54 AM
Apparently it's not dangerous, you just feel kind of crappy. I've been on the Paleo Diet for about a week now, and I always feel hungry no matter how many vegetables, fruits, nuts, or how much fish, meat, or eggs I eat. You body will want you to eat grains, dairy, and refined sugars, you just have to say no. You'll lose the 10 lbs in a week if you do the Paleo Diet, and you'll also be more healthy, your complexion will improve, and you'll generally look more attractive, while losing weight. The only negative side effects are cravings for food (which go away in a few weeks), longer time preparing food, and social problems (you can't drink beer or eat so many different types of food from bean and rice to mac n' cheese, so you'll be kind of 'out there' when it comes to food choice and social acceptance).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the basics: http://robbwolf.com... and http://www.nerdfitness.com...

Here's a comprehensive list of what you can and can't eat:
http://www.paleoplan.com...

Great resources for making the diet easier:
http://www.paleoplan.com...
http://pinterest.com...
https://www.facebook.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not just what you eat. Workout/exercise 2-3 times a week, try to get out in the sun and stay active most every day, drink half of your body weight in water every day (e.g. I weigh 160, so I drink 80oz of water daily), have a good sleep schedule, and reduce your stress levels.

Good luck, Royal! :)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 11:17:08 AM
At 8/15/2012 1:57:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Just run every day

I'm not going to weigh less than my middle-school siblings if I run. Plus, I don't really need to run b/c I have a "healthy" BMI.:

There's no good reason why you should ever desire to weigh less than a middle school child. That's neither healthy physically, nor mentally. I'm a little more concerned with your perception of your own body image than anything else.

A sad day for feminism.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)