Jump to topic:

Bicycle Helmets

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 9:37:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Was watching this "invisible helmet" video, it's basically like an airbag that goes off so you don't have to have the thing on until the instant it's needed (http://www.wimp.com...). Anyway, I always thought bicycle helmets were absolutely retarded. Bikes just don't go fast enough to warrant them, and unless you have particularly bad dexterity you can just avoid traffic (at least that's possible in Green Bay). If you drive defensively and stay away from traffic, unlike the idiots who drive IN traffic, you don't ever have to worry about being hit by a car. A motorcycle, on the other hand, is a much different story. Agree/disagree?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:08:21 PM
I don't ride and I don't think people should be required to wear protective equipment. That said, if I rode, I would bulk up with so much equipment that I'd look like that kid in A Christmas Story. You can injure yourself at relatively slow speeds and even the safest rider can crash. Also, given that not every driver is cognizant of bicycle traffic, even when the cyclists are in the appropriate lane and riding correctly, cars are a constant danger.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:24:14 PM
I've never worn a bicycle helmet in my life. I've fallen, crashed jumps, landed badly off of hill jumps, and nothing terrible has occurred. Unless you're below average in co-ordination, you probably won't need a helmet.

I don't use my road bike very often and I ride on the side walk like an ass :)
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:17:00 PM
I ride on the sidewalk too - any person with >100 IQ can see that it's in your best interest to STAY OUT OF TRAFFIC. Supposedly it's the law to stay off the sidewalks because you might hit people but that is retarded. When you approach a person you give them a wide berth or brake to a safe speed.

You CAN get hurt on a bike, and you CAN get struck by lightning LOL just because you can doesn't mean you are likely to. I cannot see how anyone who's ridden a bike their whole life would need protective gear... it's just beyond me at that speed. If you are a complete moron and drive head-first into something, then the helmet isn't going to stop you from breaking your neck anyway.

I see these people that drive me fvcking nuts. They wear full khakis, dress-shirt, and helmet while they bike to work. I want to drive off the road and run those mutherfuckers over with my car. First off, if it's hot and you are wearing all that gear then you are A FVCKING TOOL. Just admit it! Society has you in a headlock so bad that you are completely unable to think for yourself. You'll sweat your balls off in a suit on a bicycle instead of packing your clothes in a backpack while you ride, why? To show off your professionalism or something? And then of course the helmet and the street-driving, just to follow the law becausee you know the law is better than using our own brains...

Perhaps in NYC you have no choice to ride in the street and I can understand it (and if you're in the street then the helmet protects you from vehicles) but in Green Bay you see about one pedestrian per mile on the busiest day. There's no reason to sacrifice your safety by riding in the street and there's no reason to wear a helmet if you aren't putting yourself in danger in the middle of the road trying to drive with vehicles 200 times your size and driving twice your speed.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.