Jump to topic:

Genetic diseases

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 11:44:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, I went to the dentist yesterday. After a quick run through of my teeth, he says "Your teth are fine, but your gums are cr*p". Turns out I had a bad case of plaque build up between my teeth. After a period of straining not to lol, he explained that it's genetic insofar as that my Dad and my sister have it. Although it's 100% manageable, it got me wondering abut other genetic diseases (If my plaque problem can be called a disease more than a defect).

Anyone else have genetic medical issues?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 12:07:54 AM
Current: Myopia, some kind of iron problem (lack of), occasional asthma
Predicted: High blood pressure, baldness, authoritarian parenting, etc....
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 4:22:04 AM
I get these things called sebaceous cists. Basically little lumps that grow on my head and have to be cut off every few years. Harmless but annoying.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:04:07 AM
I have get a type of migraines classified as Migraine Headache Disease - it's definitely genetic... my mom and grandmother had/have them as well.

I think the classification has fallen out of favor, but I used to get disabling migraines every single day when I was in the 5th grade - ones bad enough I'd have to be in a dark room and lying down to stop the nausea. And then they gave me this little blue pill because of something they saw in my MRI... fun fun....

Sumatriptan FTW now tho... Excedrine too XD
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 8:03:52 PM
Two of my cousins have lupus and my aunt is a carrier. Neither of my parents have been tested so I'm not sure about my odds.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 12:23:32 PM
At 9/10/2009 8:03:52 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Two of my cousins have lupus and my aunt is a carrier. Neither of my parents have been tested so I'm not sure about my odds.

Go to house. He'll treat you for STD's, Cancer, Brain haemorrhages, but anything but Lupus.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 1:21:41 PM
Go to house. He'll treat you for STD's, Cancer, Brain haemorrhages, but anything but Lupus.

Actually, in one episode it turned out to be lupus :P
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 1:27:08 PM
At 9/10/2009 7:04:07 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
I have get a type of migraines classified as Migraine Headache Disease - it's definitely genetic... my mom and grandmother had/have them as well.

I think the classification has fallen out of favor, but I used to get disabling migraines every single day when I was in the 5th grade - ones bad enough I'd have to be in a dark room and lying down to stop the nausea. And then they gave me this little blue pill because of something they saw in my MRI... fun fun....

Sumatriptan FTW now tho... Excedrine too XD

lol, wanna know something funny? If you give your drug to someone on anti-depressants, they might die ^^
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 7:43:04 PM
Well, I myself have myopia, and while my mother does have something with similar effects, she has yet to see if that is what she actually has.

On the other hand, my mother also has thyroid problems but I've yet to develop any - which is a good thing. The rest of my immediate family isn't blood related, but there is cases of diabetes, schizophrenia and cancer; and I don't know anything about my father's family medical history.

I've always been interested in how genetic traits, susceptibilities and etc. get passed on - it can give real insight into how our DNA works and acts when going from generation to generation. For instance; do genetic dispositions to certain diseases or traits degenerate with each passing? Very interesting question.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:19:05 AM
At 9/11/2009 7:43:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
Well, I myself have myopia, and while my mother does have something with similar effects, she has yet to see if that is what she actually has.

I have the same :D. There's history of eye problems in my family, and my granddad had\has an eye disease :\. I actually got an eye check up today.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:27:17 AM
At 9/11/2009 7:43:04 PM, Volkov wrote:

On the other hand, my mother also has thyroid problems but I've yet to develop any - which is a good thing. The rest of my immediate family isn't blood related, but there is cases of diabetes, schizophrenia and cancer; and I don't know anything about my father's family medical history.

I've always been interested in how genetic traits, susceptibilities and etc. get passed on - it can give real insight into how our DNA works and acts when going from generation to generation. For instance; do genetic dispositions to certain diseases or traits degenerate with each passing? Very interesting question.

I think it depends on what disease. There are correcting factors that take place for some genetic disorders, but not for others. And evolution protects the species, not the individual.

Thyroid problems are very easily controlled after puberty. If anything does occur, you don't have much to worry about. As far as I know, there are only two drugs to regulate thyroid disorders, and neither of them have any side effects even if taken for the rest of your life.

As for diabetes, it is nearly impossible for you to get diabetes so long as you eat well and exercise. Everyone is susceptible to cancer, so the only thing left is the schizophrenia, but that shouldn't be a worry if they aren't blood related cases.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:30:00 AM
You shall not breed! Nothing must stand in ze way of ze master race!!!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:30:36 AM
Right now I've got messed up teeth. They used to be all over the place but my orthodontist is setting them straight. They'll come back to haunt me later.

I'm thinking I'm going to have back problems (mom+her mom) and possibly Alzheimers.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...