Jump to topic:

Why you shouldn't smoke.

Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:11:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I saw your topic, I said to myself "if this topic shows a convincing smoking add, I will quit smoking." But it didn't so I will now smoke 20 cigs to get over this depressing post. Thanks allot, I'm now more likely to get lung cancer becuase of you.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:17:05 PM
At 9/10/2009 6:11:16 PM, Nik wrote:
I saw your topic, I said to myself "if this topic shows a convincing smoking add, I will quit smoking." But it didn't so I will now smoke 20 cigs to get over this depressing post. Thanks allot, I'm now more likely to get lung cancer becuase of you.

Nik, I'm a ciggie smoker too, but please tell me you're not one of those people who don't see the need to quit. I work with a bunch of these people, and it p*sses me off. "Gotta die somehow..." Errmm.. yeah, that's true. But you don't have to pay $80 a week to kill yourself, an you don't have to die 30 years before your time.

I wish I could quit smoking ciggies, I really do. I've recently given up weed so I can pass pre-employment medicals, and if I didn't have durries I don't know what I'd do.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:35:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I see the need to quit, I know I'm doing myself harm financially and more importantly damaging my body. But I don't want to quit right now. Do you know what I mean? Granted I was taking the urine a bit with my previous post, And I also hate people who think that cigs are amazing and they're not addicted they just love tobacco. Becuase its not true, they are addicted.

I am addicted, I can admit that, But I don't feel the need to quit for awhile yet. Which sadly may be the death of me, but hopefully when the time comes, ill have the will power to quit (ive set the date to one year exactly after I leave university!)
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:44:46 PM
At 9/10/2009 6:35:43 PM, Nik wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I see the need to quit, I know I'm doing myself harm financially and more importantly damaging my body. But I don't want to quit right now. Do you know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean man, I've been that way for a number of years. They ARE enjoyable, particularly when you're drinking (I'll go through a 30 gram pouch of tobacco a weekend if I head out Friday and Satdy night), and I think there's an element of "oh, I've still got a few years yet before it will really start affecting me, so what the hell."

I'm with you... I will DEFINITELY quit, whether I need patches, gum or hypnosis, whatever it takes; but I'm not ready yet.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:54:10 PM
lol, ill get back to you mate in 30 years when Im on 40 a day and say, d@mn all that stuff I said about quitting, It just diddnt happen! And now ive got lung cancer in my one remaining lung, and If I go for a walk down my street to get a newspaper ill need an oxegen tank and an ugly nurse to push my wheel chair!

D@mn I realy should quit!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 6:58:22 PM
Are you proposing that people who smoke should be thrown in jail or just that people should choose not to smoke?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:22:57 PM
By the way, I am growing sick and tired of watching that Smoke-Free California campaign advertising in the previews of all the movies I watch. They're tyrants and they don't understand.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:23:10 PM
Lol, I just watched the video on you-tube.

You non-smokers are facing your final days!
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:32:32 PM
At 9/10/2009 7:20:53 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:
Smoking is for cool people. I guess I'm not cool...

I don't think your lack of coolness has anything to do with your non-smoking ways. ;)

Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 11:08:09 AM
At 9/10/2009 6:44:46 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/10/2009 6:35:43 PM, Nik wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I see the need to quit, I know I'm doing myself harm financially and more importantly damaging my body. But I don't want to quit right now. Do you know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean man, I've been that way for a number of years. They ARE enjoyable, particularly when you're drinking (I'll go through a 30 gram pouch of tobacco a weekend if I head out Friday and Satdy night), and I think there's an element of "oh, I've still got a few years yet before it will really start affecting me, so what the hell."

I'm with you... I will DEFINITELY quit, whether I need patches, gum or hypnosis, whatever it takes; but I'm not ready yet.

exactly how i feel. Drinking and cigs go together like PB & J
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 7:28:47 AM
I hate cigarettes. I only smoke during one particular activity. Ok, maybe 2. And no - it's not sex (that would be a little difficult for me, don't you think?)... though I'm sure I could manage/figure it out if I had to :P
President of DDO
BrandonClark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 5:38:29 PM
At 9/24/2009 7:28:47 AM, theLwerd wrote:
And no - it's not sex (that would be a little difficult for me, don't you think?)... though I'm sure I could manage/figure it out if I had to :P

That provoked really dirty visions that I really wish I didn't have.
BLACKHAWKS 6-5 lN OVERTIME!!!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 6:09:21 PM
What pisses me off about this thread is that guys like nik and leet come, discuss their affection for smoking, and really want to do nothing about it. Although you guys may think you will quit in several months or even years, you won't unless you focus on it right now. You shouldn't have even smoked in the first place. Smoking just ruins your life; spiritually, financially, emotionally, and health-wise. Seriously, although you do say you want to quit in the future, you will keep saying that until you're dead. Nothing will be accomplished. Do what you can today. Not tommorrow, not in a week. Smoking isn't even cool nowadays. It just makes people look stupid, lazy, and unappealing.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 10:03:00 PM
Being a student in the health care field really changes things. They've taught me that smoking is bad ever since I was a kid, and I ate it all up. When I started hanging out with people and making friends, you realize that good, honest, and loyal friends come from all walks of life. Those who smoke pot, cigs, who drink underage are all part of the mix, and we all have our little vices. I've gotten completely desensitized to it.

As I finished my undergraduate classes and started getting into my graduate level classes though, it surprised me how casually they spoke about the terrible, terrible effects that smoking has on a person's body.

It's one thing to have a Health Ed teacher tell you about the side effects in a warning tone. It's another to have your Physiology of Drugs and Infectious Disease teacher tell you that smokers have irreversible damage to their lungs that put them at high risk for constant, chronic respiratory infections that can have deadly and fatal effects as if though he were talking about what he had for breakfast >.>

We haven't even started the section of the course on respiratory illnesses and I'm fairly convinced that smokers are going to die terrible, painful, early deaths @.@
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 7:47:28 AM
I agree with Kleptin entirely. We all have our vices. To me, smoking cigarettes never really made any sense though. It smells horrible and you can never escape the scent on your clothes/apartment/car; it ruins your teeth (and entire mouth); you have to excuse yourself and go outside to smoke... which would really suck in the winter; it leaves you out of breath; it puts you at a very increased risk for respiratory illness; etc. Now, all of those things would be fine if there were actual BENEFITS. I don't see any.

So, I smoke cigarettes VERY rarely. We all know that I smoke... something else, and as such, I've found that having a cigarette when you're running low may actually help to sustain your high. I think it has something to do with the breathing methods. Or something. However, it still wasn't worth it to me, and as such I graduated to Black-N-Milds for awhile which I found worked even better because I actually inhale them which was enough friggin toxin to get me high (lol just sorta light-headed) in itself. Luckily I've stopped that too. However, the only down-side here was that other people used to tell me that they found me extremely sexy when I smoked... oh well.

These days, the ONLY time I ever smoke cigarettes is when I'm rolling (on ecstasy). This is simply because it feels so good lol. Plus, I only smoke cigs for what... a few hours? Keep in mind that I only roll several times throughout the year anyway, meaning I keep these vices to a bare minimum. As I said, with drugs or just about ANYTHING else, there's a trade-off. Obviously the physical results of ecstasy (which I'm sure Kleptin could tell you medically about, whereas I only have personal experience to describe it) are beneficial in at least a few ways. Pot too. Smoking, on the other hand, is not beneficial at all. Unless you count the 'sexy' points, which I definitely don't. Phuck smoking.
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:12:12 AM
To be *perfectly* honest, Ecstasy in its pure form, taken by someone who is healthy, and not very often, in itsy-bitsy doses, is pretty much harmless.

We put people on Ritalin all the time, and Ecstasy isn't very much different from any other amphetamine.

It's just that if you misjudge the dose, you might have profuse sweating, your liver fails, you have seizures and clotting, blood vessel ruptures, hypertensive crisis, heart failure, etc.

So here's how counseling would go, if I were filling a script for MDMA :P

Dose reaches maximum efficacy 2 hours after ingestion, don't take with antidepressants as it will ruin the high...try not to take with alcohol.

If you are on steroid medications, tell your doctor (some steroids can actually make the high last a lot longer)

Take with a lot of water and stay hydrated, drink gatorade or smartwater to replenish electrolytes.

Wait at least a week before doing drug tests. Enjoooy.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:09:20 PM
Doctors should just practice prevention, maybe allowing them a tax break for prevention.

but Americans should be free to smoke if they want to... just make sure they are educated to never give ignorance an excuse.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:21:37 PM
At 9/26/2009 6:09:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

@SAC8: First of all, f*ck you you judgemental, know-nothing little f*ck. Now that I've got that out of the way I can discuss your post in a more... mature manner.

What pisses me off about this thread is that guys like nik and leet come, discuss their affection for smoking, and really want to do nothing about it. Although you guys may think you will quit in several months or even years, you won't unless you focus on it right now.

Not that it's any of your business whatsoever, but I am in the process of quitting. Some people can smoke 30 years and turn the addiction off like a light, and all the power to them. But I'm not one of them unfortunately, so my process will be slow.

You shouldn't have even smoked in the first place.

No sh*t. Thanks for the advice... now if you can go back in time to before I smoked, and stop being a Christian so your opinion gains some credibility, we might be onto something.

Smoking just ruins your life; spiritually, financially, emotionally, and health-wise.

Spiritually? Emotionally? What the hell are you on about?

As for financially and physically... no sh*t. If you'll get of that extremely high horse of yours and go back to read my comments, you'll see that I'm well aware of the effects smoking has on my life.

Seriously, although you do say you want to quit in the future, you will keep saying that until you're dead. Nothing will be accomplished. Do what you can today. Not tommorrow, not in a week.

Do you understand addiction? At all?

Smoking isn't even cool nowadays. It just makes people look stupid, lazy, and unappealing.

Nowadays? When the hell was inhaling smoke into your lungs cool?

As for "stupid, lazy, unappealing", I could say the same thing about your idiotic religion and the fact that you're an unappealing moron for following it. But I wouldn't want to be a judgemental prick now would I?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:29:00 PM
At 9/27/2009 4:21:37 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

@SAC8: First of all, f*ck you you judgemental, know-nothing little f*ck. Now that I've got that out of the way I can discuss your post in a more... mature manner.

What pisses me off about this thread is that guys like nik and leet come, discuss their affection for smoking, and really want to do nothing about it. Although you guys may think you will quit in several months or even years, you won't unless you focus on it right now.

Not that it's any of your business whatsoever, but I am in the process of quitting. Some people can smoke 30 years and turn the addiction off like a light, and all the power to them. But I'm not one of them unfortunately, so my process will be slow.

No sh*t. Thanks for the advice... now if you can go back in time to before I smoked, and stop being a Christian so your opinion gains some credibility, we might be onto something.

Smoking just ruins your life; spiritually, financially, emotionally, and health-wise.

As for financially and physically... no sh*t. If you'll get of that extremely high horse of yours and go back to read my comments, you'll see that I'm well aware of the effects smoking has on my life.

Seriously, although you do say you want to quit in the future, you will keep saying that until you're dead. Nothing will be accomplished. Do what you can today. Not tommorrow, not in a week.

Smoking isn't even cool nowadays. It just makes people look stupid, lazy, and unappealing.

As for "stupid, lazy, unappealing", I could say the same thing about your idiotic religion and the fact that you're an unappealing moron for following it. But I wouldn't want to be a judgemental prick now would I?

Tell us how you really feel?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:35:30 PM
At 9/27/2009 4:29:00 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 9/27/2009 4:21:37 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Tell us how you really feel?

He pulled no punches so why should I?

I realize I've already shaved a few years off my life, and paid thousands of dollars to do so. I also realize I am going to have a very, very hard time quitting. Then you get some 16-year-old telling you that you "never should have started in the first place", that "it's bad for you" and that you appear "stupid, lazy and unappealing". If you're surprised that this angered me, try to remember that smokers have feelings too, and most of them only realize the mess they've gotten themselves into when it's too late.

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:40:31 PM
no man do what you want... if you want to quit that is great... if you want to keep going that is great also...

what makes it great is your ability to choose.

by quitting you should not be commended, just as by starting you should not be commended... what you should be is supported through out what ever it is you are doing.

good luck in what ever you do... if you need help just ask, I'll be around.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:47:29 PM
At 9/27/2009 4:40:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
no man do what you want... if you want to quit that is great... if you want to keep going that is great also...

what makes it great is your ability to choose.

by quitting you should not be commended, just as by starting you should not be commended... what you should be is supported through out what ever it is you are doing.

Great, now that you've been nice to me, I feel terrible for the things I said to SAC.

SAC, for what it's worth, I didn't mean any of the harsh things I said and I apologize. I just don't appreciate being called stupid, lazy and unappealing for smoking, particularly when I realize all too well (far more than you, a non-smoker, ever could) just how stupid it really is. A good majority of smokers wish like hell that they could quit, and treating them like sub-humans for their addiction doesn't help them quit, it just makes them feel terrible about themselves.

good luck in what ever you do... if you need help just ask, I'll be around.

Thanks a lot brother.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 1:35:18 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:12:12 AM, Kleptin wrote:
To be *perfectly* honest, Ecstasy in its pure form, taken by someone who is healthy, and not very often, in itsy-bitsy doses, is pretty much harmless.

We put people on Ritalin all the time, and Ecstasy isn't very much different from any other amphetamine.

It's just that if you misjudge the dose, you might have profuse sweating, your liver fails, you have seizures and clotting, blood vessel ruptures, hypertensive crisis, heart failure, etc.

So here's how counseling would go, if I were filling a script for MDMA :P

Dose reaches maximum efficacy 2 hours after ingestion, don't take with antidepressants as it will ruin the high...try not to take with alcohol.

If you are on steroid medications, tell your doctor (some steroids can actually make the high last a lot longer)

Take with a lot of water and stay hydrated, drink gatorade or smartwater to replenish electrolytes.

Wait at least a week before doing drug tests. Enjoooy.

Thanks buddy - I've actually done a decent amount of medical research on this (I'd like to think that I'm fairly responsible) so I know what you mean. A lot of MDMA's harms are greatly exaggerated. For instance, Ecstasy does NOT put holes in your brain (that was a completely manipulated and FALSE representation of data); the only harm it can really do is if you take too much too often to the point where it disrupts your serotonin produce a great deal. I limit myself to once every 3 months, so I'm good.

Anyway, in addition to that, all of the MDMA related deaths are largely in part due to excessive use like I said... so only a moron would pop like 20 pills. Also, you have to take obvious precaution such as staying hydrated (which helps considering you pee out the drug anyway lol) and just being careful in your environment.

I've started reading this great book finally called This Is Your Country on Drugs. It's excellent so far. It details all of the BS drug legislation, takes you on a tour of various drug cultures in US history, explains how and why drug trends occur, discusses phenomenons such as pot use declining today because kids just get high off of anti-depressants or other readily available pills instead, etc. Also, you're right - the speed we diagnose to kids (over 85% of the speed users in the U.S. are children) is ridic. Not to mention that drugs can also be useful - which is why they're prescribed in the first place - and people ignore those uses (i.e. speed and Ritalin for truck drivers) because of "moral implications." Phooey.
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:49:03 AM
At the end of the day, everyone knows that smoking makes you look cool and hard in front of the girls...or so the adverts used to imply before they got banned.

Smoking is no longer the pleasure it once was. In many places you can't even smoke in pubs or bars anymore.

And all flights are now non-smoking, which is a bit of a nightmare when you are flying long-haul.

I have tried to give up in the past using that nicotine chewing gum, but it doesn't give you the same hit.

Also, it is very expensive. Top tip: get the same effect by chewing regular gum and smoking a cigarette at the same time!

Seriously though, does anyone know anything about those new electronic cigarettes?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:48:57 AM
At 9/28/2009 2:49:03 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Seriously though, does anyone know anything about those new electronic cigarettes?

Yep, those things are pretty expensive. Cheaper than buying cigs though, and a great way to quit, it's just that the device is expensive.

It's water filtration, the cigarette feels exactly like a cigarette, and it puffs out this white steam that smells minty. It has a little chamber for pure nicotine, which it releases in small amounts through the mist, and you can control how much it dispenses.