Jump to topic:

Universal Health Care

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:52:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm in need of research for debate about pros and cons about universal health care, but if anyone already knows some of the specifics about what it would entail and facts that they can bring to the table, that would be amazing. What's good and what's bad about universal health care?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:16:44 PM
Pros are that it helps people

Cons are that it hurts people
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:03:00 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:16:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Pros are that it helps people

Cons are that it hurts people

Cool story brah.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:13:38 PM
I believe it takes away the power of insurance/other agencies to screw you over. That's one good thing. Agencies literally hire people to look through all your forms to find the slightest fault that they save many off of. It's caused people to die.

I honestly don't care for the topic though.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:25:34 PM
At 10/1/2012 3:13:38 PM, phantom wrote:
I believe it takes away the power of insurance/other agencies to screw you over. That's one good thing. Agencies literally hire people to look through all your forms to find the slightest fault that they save many off of. It's caused people to die.

Yeah the only reason I'm looking at it is because it's going to be the LD topic for high school debate in November-December and I'm just trying to map out the vague details of it so that I can find some ethical argument to use since I don't feel like getting into the actual policy.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:29:12 PM
The site I liked using got canceled :(
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:47:11 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:52:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm in need of research for debate about pros and cons about universal health care, but if anyone already knows some of the specifics about what it would entail and facts that they can bring to the table, that would be amazing. What's good and what's bad about universal health care?

Reason for the legislation: to help facilitate new medical technology into the market without collapsing it. That would be the primary pro.

Effect of the legislation: it raises taxes and increases national debt by billions. That would be the primary con.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 6:26:18 PM
I believe it takes away the power of insurance/other agencies to screw you over. That's one good thing. Agencies literally hire people to look through all your forms to find the slightest fault that they save money off of. It's caused people to die.

fixed.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 6:53:21 PM
At 10/1/2012 4:47:11 PM, Ren wrote:
At 10/1/2012 1:52:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Reason for the legislation: to help facilitate new medical technology into the market without collapsing it. That would be the primary pro.

Effect of the legislation: it raises taxes and increases national debt by billions. That would be the primary con.

That's helpful. Thanks.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 6:57:26 PM
Universal health care + medical marijuana = free marijuana for everyone.

That is all you need to know.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:47:26 PM
At 10/1/2012 6:57:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Universal health care + medical marijuana = free marijuana for everyone.

That is all you need to know.

Anything that involved free weed is good in my book!
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:00:04 PM
I believe it takes away the power of insurance/other agencies to screw you over.

By making you legally obligated to purchase their products? Don't think that somehow the govt getting involved is going to stop insurance companies from screwing over it's customers. A big draw for the law is that no one can be turned down for pre-existing conditions. Which is good if you have a pre-existing condition, bad if you don't because your health insurance costs are soaring.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:06:32 PM
Here's another good one, kids up to 25 can stay on their parents plans which is nice. However when your family is paying a 5k premium and your deductible is 6k you can't afford to see a doctor anyway.