Jump to topic:

Prescription drugs

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 7:28:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
They exist to protect us from ourselves right? I had a migraine the other day and would have killed from some opiates, but that would involve an expensive trip to the doctors and an expensive prescription.
Is there any good argument for why I, as an adult, shouldn't be allowed access to powerful pain killers over the counter?
Don't get me started on how they cut pain killers with acetaminophen to keep you from ODing
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 9:20:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/9/2012 7:28:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:
They exist to protect us from ourselves right? I had a migraine the other day and would have killed from some opiates, but that would involve an expensive trip to the doctors and an expensive prescription.
Is there any good argument for why I, as an adult, shouldn't be allowed access to powerful pain killers over the counter?
Don't get me started on how they cut pain killers with acetaminophen to keep you from ODing

All it would take is for the FDA to approve the sell of controlled substances over the counter and you would get the answer to your question almost immediately.
dwmiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:09:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/9/2012 7:28:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:

The problem is that will not happen until people stop abusing the drugs via the black market, and other ways. All controlled substances are ranked via how abused and addictive they can be. Controls being CV-CIII, and Narcs being CII's. As already mentioned, the DEA controls, and enforces the Narcs. It is a federal crime to get a controlled substance without a valid prescription, and only then can we give you a limited supply.

The argument to have these opiates controlled is because of the abuse. If someone is in major pain, and takes to much hydrocodone, or oxycodone at one time, is could send them into arrest, and they may not wake up.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 1:01:43 PM
It has to do with the philosophies of Rule Utilitarianism vs Act Utilitarianism and is therefore the way which societies are governed. A similar argument could be made for not respecting a red traffic light while you're the only driver on the road. It makes no sense to respect it under Act Utilitarianism. However, society has largely decided to govern itself by Rule Utilitarianism.

I don't have much respect for the FDA. But I'm not going to credit then with a bad at where it isn't due. This matter is how society governs itself.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 1:10:14 PM
I'd like to think there's a way in which we could reduce the burden of doctors to enable better healthcare. But simply to sell opiates over the counter is not something that follows sensibly.