Jump to topic:

A Healthy Sickness

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:31:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A personal friend of mine spends two hours working out, every evening. He eats a diet of raw and steamed vegetables, with boneless skinless chicken breasts. He drinks two smoothies, everyday, made up of broccoli, banana, strawberries, flax seed, and kale. He eats raw fruit and vegetables, for lunch, everyday, and runs six to nine miles, at the park, every Saturday. He has a rock hard body and has so much energy, I can't keep up with him.

Just recently, he went to the community clinic to have a physical exam done. He was completely flabbergasted, when he got the results. The doctor told him, he had high cholesterol and was borderline diabetic.

Please, let me know if you have heard or witnessed, firsthand, stories like this.
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:09:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't know about the cholesterol thing. Just make sure he gets enough calories since he is exercising so much. Maybe 2,500 to 5,000 a day. And for the diabetic thing, for that if recommend eating more veggies than fruit.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 12:57:27 PM
Sounds like genetic predisposition, combined with a slightly malfunctioning pancreas. Rare, but not unheard of.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 3:49:26 PM
At 5/5/2014 12:57:27 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Sounds like genetic predisposition, combined with a slightly malfunctioning pancreas. Rare, but not unheard of.

???
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 8:43:54 PM
Eggs also carry unnecessary cholesterol. Be sure to cut the yolk if you're planning to heavily slash it, cuz all of the cholesterols are inside the yolk, so to get the healthy stuff, just eat the white part. Similarly, butter can be clarified too. Steam it and after it melts, the fats will float to the tippy top for you to remove. BUT CHOLESTEROL IS STILL NEEDED, LIKE SALT. DO NOT FREAK OUT LOL, you need to maintain fluidity for your membranes. Like glucose, it is needed for the majority of the brain.

As for your friend, it may be genetic. the plan is certainly better than an extremely high protein diet.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 3:14:11 PM
At 11/13/2012 11:31:16 AM, s-anthony wrote:
A personal friend of mine spends two hours working out, every evening. He eats a diet of raw and steamed vegetables, with boneless skinless chicken breasts. He drinks two smoothies, everyday, made up of broccoli, banana, strawberries, flax seed, and kale. He eats raw fruit and vegetables, for lunch, everyday, and runs six to nine miles, at the park, every Saturday. He has a rock hard body and has so much energy, I can't keep up with him.

Just recently, he went to the community clinic to have a physical exam done. He was completely flabbergasted, when he got the results. The doctor told him, he had high cholesterol and was borderline diabetic.

Please, let me know if you have heard or witnessed, firsthand, stories like this.

A community clinic? Was it planned?

I ask because, if he didn't fast for 8 to 12 hours before the blood work was done, then his cholesterol and glucose and cholesterol levels may have been elevated simply because of his most recent smoothy, which sounds as though it contains a good deal of fructose (although, not a dangerous amount).

Even with a genetic predisposition, a diet and habits like that would make it pretty difficult to have such issues, unless he drinks a lot.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 3:40:04 PM
At 5/17/2014 8:43:54 PM, Themba wrote:
Eggs also carry unnecessary cholesterol. Be sure to cut the yolk if you're planning to heavily slash it, cuz all of the cholesterols are inside the yolk, so to get the healthy stuff, just eat the white part. Similarly, butter can be clarified too. Steam it and after it melts, the fats will float to the tippy top for you to remove. BUT CHOLESTEROL IS STILL NEEDED, LIKE SALT. DO NOT FREAK OUT LOL, you need to maintain fluidity for your membranes. Like glucose, it is needed for the majority of the brain.

There's a lot of controversy concerning egg yolks; I don't believe the data support the idea egg yolks increase serum levels of cholesterol. Secondly, in clarifying butter, it's not fat that rises to the top but protein.

As for your friend, it may be genetic. the plan is certainly better than an extremely high protein diet.

I agree. High protein diets are not ideal, for good health. I believe diet, like everything else, is ideal, in as much as it is balanced.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 4:45:13 PM
At 5/19/2014 3:14:11 PM, Such wrote:
At 11/13/2012 11:31:16 AM, s-anthony wrote:

A community clinic? Was it planned?

I ask because, if he didn't fast for 8 to 12 hours before the blood work was done, then his cholesterol and glucose and cholesterol levels may have been elevated simply because of his most recent smoothy, which sounds as though it contains a good deal of fructose (although, not a dangerous amount).

Even with a genetic predisposition, a diet and habits like that would make it pretty difficult to have such issues, unless he drinks a lot.

Yes. He gets an annual checkup. As far as I know, he fasted. He told me, recently, he had another cholesterol screening; and, it had similar results. The doctor said it was not high enough, to warrant therapy, but told him he was doing all the right things.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 7:29:11 PM
At 5/19/2014 3:40:04 PM, s-anthony wrote:
There's a lot of controversy concerning egg yolks; I don't believe the data support the idea egg yolks increase serum levels of cholesterol. Secondly, in clarifying butter, it's not fat that rises to the top but protein.

Well if you're willing to bet Mayoclinic is wrong, thats fine. There is even doubts in the benefits of using olive oil. A quick search on youtube, you can see a few professors contesting olive oil. Ah thanks for clearing that up, I was mostly cooking and i relied on my observation, it looks like fat to me, but it seems i'm wrong lol. thanks.

I agree. High protein diets are not ideal, for good health. I believe diet, like everything else, is ideal, in as much as it is balanced.

yeah. i admire his diet though. too bad his genes really shatter him apart.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:53:21 PM
At 5/19/2014 7:29:11 PM, Themba wrote:
At 5/19/2014 3:40:04 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Well if you're willing to bet Mayoclinic is wrong, thats fine. There is even doubts in the benefits of using olive oil. A quick search on youtube, you can see a few professors contesting olive oil. Ah thanks for clearing that up, I was mostly cooking and i relied on my observation, it looks like fat to me, but it seems i'm wrong lol. thanks.

I think dietary effects are based more on the individual than they are on the actual diet. I think food is a drug; as our bodies react to drugs differently, so, likewise, they react to food.

yeah. i admire his diet though. too bad his genes really shatter him apart.

His diet may be admirable, but in most cases, it's very hard to sustain.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 3:21:07 AM
At 5/19/2014 10:53:21 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I think dietary effects are based more on the individual than they are on the actual diet. I think food is a drug; as our bodies react to drugs differently, so, likewise, they react to food.

I don't remember exact details where it says otherwise, but i suppose you're right. Sugar levels vary between diabetic patients anyway.

His diet may be admirable, but in most cases, it's very hard to sustain.

Yeap, i feel your pain lol. It sucks to maintain 1 healthy diet, let alone cooking them and getting the 'just right' taste. It is ridiculously annoying haha.