Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 5:56:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What do you think?

http://www.cnn.com...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Azul145
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:24:39 PM
No way. Obesity only exists in developed countries when hunger is in every country out there.
Everything is going according to my plan.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:32:27 PM
No.

"We hope policymakers will pay attention to these numbers and figure out what programs they can implement to intervene on these trends," Mokdad said."
Damn fascists.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:41:16 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

People who suffer from hunger don't have the ability to even pay for food, so how could they possibly pay for hospitals? There is no much of study that could possibly detect such of thing, and if there is, that is absolutely evil, that instead of helping the people with hunger by providing them with food, they are just waiting for the problem to emerge, and spending money to study this.

People who suffer from hunger usually die much younger (since they can't afford treatment) and suffer from long periods of time while in hunger.

I don't see obese people being in agony because of beyong overweight.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:42:26 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:24:39 PM, Azul145 wrote:
No way. Obesity only exists in developed countries when hunger is in every country out there.

According to the article, only sub-Saharan Africa is not subject to an obesity epidemic.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:44:19 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:41:16 PM, Cometflash wrote:
You gotta be kidding me.

People who suffer from hunger don't have the ability to even pay for food, so how could they possibly pay for hospitals? There is no much of study that could possibly detect such of thing, and if there is, that is absolutely evil, that instead of helping the people with hunger by providing them with food, they are just waiting for the problem to emerge, and spending money to study this.

People who suffer from hunger usually die much younger (since they can't afford treatment) and suffer from long periods of time while in hunger.

According to the article:

"People are living longer than projected in 1990 -- on average, 10.7 more years for men, and 12.6 more years for women. But for many of them, the quality of life during those years is not good. On average, people are plagued by illness or pain during the last 14 years of life, according to the study."
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:45:31 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

More:

""We've figured out how to keep the person who suffered a stroke alive, but then they're living disabled for years afterward. That's not the quality of life that person expected, " Mokdad said."

"In Western countries, deaths from heart disease are down 70%. However, the number of people diagnosed with heart disease is increasing at alarming rates."
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:28:57 AM
At 12/13/2012 6:44:19 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
You gotta be kidding me.

"People are living longer than projected in 1990 -- on average, 10.7 more years for men, and 12.6 more years for women. But for many of them, the quality of life during those years is not good. On average, people are plagued by illness or pain during the last 14 years of life, according to the study."

That article in centered on obesity. Check life expectancy for each country, now take countries that have major obesity issues, and countries with major hunger issues, come back here with what you find. I can't really bother to do it, since I feel is absurd.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:33:01 AM
Step 1: Take food from obese people.

Step 2: Redistribute it to hungry people.

Obviously this is grossly oversimplified, but you can kill two birds with one stone. I don't consider it to be as much of a threat as hunger, however.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:33:28 AM
At 12/14/2012 10:28:57 AM, Cometflash wrote:
You gotta be kidding me.

That article in centered on obesity. Check life expectancy for each country, now take countries that have major obesity issues, and countries with major hunger issues, come back here with what you find. I can't really bother to do it, since I feel is absurd.

Well, the article is comparing obesity as a health problem, and hunger as a health problem, so it is centered on a comparison, not just on obesity. I also do not have the time at the moment to look up this case in detail, so I will just continue to quote the article:

"The report revealed that every country, with the exception of those in sub-Saharan Africa, faces alarming obesity rates -- an increase of 82% globally in the past two decades. Middle Eastern countries are more obese than ever, seeing a 100% increase since 1990."

Again, not looking at this in detail, just going by the article, it seems that there simply aren't that many countries with hunger as a health problem. Each country may have a significant population of hungry people, but overall, it seems that only Sub-Saharan African countries actually have an overall hunger problem.

Agree it seems absurd on the surface, which is why I posted it here.
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 3:08:45 PM
At 12/14/2012 11:33:28 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
You gotta be kidding me.

Well, the article is comparing obesity as a health problem, and hunger as a health problem, so it is centered on a comparison, not just on obesity. I also do not have the time at the moment to look up this case in detail, so I will just continue to quote the article:

"The report revealed that every country, with the exception of those in sub-Saharan Africa, faces alarming obesity rates -- an increase of 82% globally in the past two decades. Middle Eastern countries are more obese than ever, seeing a 100% increase since 1990."

Again, not looking at this in detail, just going by the article, it seems that there simply aren't that many countries with hunger as a health problem. Each country may have a significant population of hungry people, but overall, it seems that only Sub-Saharan African countries actually have an overall hunger problem.

Agree it seems absurd on the surface, which is why I posted it here.

The reason that there is more obese people than hunger people is that hunger kill those much quicker. You can live obese for a long time (years), but you cannot live famine for to long (weeks).
What cause more health damage? Something that can get you sick but still give you time to live for a long time, or something that quickly takes your life?
Volkskorps
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:17:24 AM
Most FATTIES, sorry, have a choice they choose to screw themselves over with. People suffering from hunger do not.

Obesity is an issue that needs attention, education and a solution. Hunger is a severe problem that does not receive enough attention.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 6:49:28 AM
At 12/19/2012 3:17:24 AM, Volkskorps wrote:
Most FATTIES, sorry, have a choice they choose to screw themselves over with. People suffering from hunger do not.

Obesity is an issue that needs attention, education and a solution. Hunger is a severe problem that does not receive enough attention.

I think the entire point of the article was that the problems caused by obesity were not receiving enough attention, in comparison to hunger.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 6:55:14 AM
At 12/14/2012 3:08:45 PM, Cometflash wrote:
blah blah
The reason that there is more obese people than hunger people is that hunger kill those much quicker. You can live obese for a long time (years), but you cannot live famine for to long (weeks).
What cause more health damage? Something that can get you sick but still give you time to live for a long time, or something that quickly takes your life?

So, if people do not exist, they are no longer a problem.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 6:56:34 AM
At 12/20/2012 6:55:14 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/14/2012 3:08:45 PM, Cometflash wrote:
blah blah

So, if people do not exist, they are no longer a problem.

Corollary:

If you make more people, and feed them like pigs, you create problems.
riza571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 11:59:17 AM
I can agree with this statement that nowadays people became obesity especially how i know in the United States half of people are sick of this disease. Fast food especially Mc donalds, we all know that is harmful for us but still eat them. Nowadays people can die because of obessity more than hunger.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:31:58 PM
A hundred years ago, people were aware of global hunger. Scientists scrambled to find new ways to improve food production.

Today, global food prices are pretty cheap. Food is much easier to produce. USA pays farmers from taxpayer money to NOT GROW FOOD because corn is too cheap.

Suddenly there is an obesity problem. All of a sudden, people realize that starving kids in Africa have a distribution problem, not a production problem. Somehow the warlords and dictators oversee the most hunger-plagued countries despite the cheap global food. Too bad science can't fix that.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:56:33 PM
No. The obesity is a symptom of a stupidity epidemic which has plagued our species since the outset. The sad fact is that a huge number of people are stupid enough to find a way to kill themselves with food.

If anyone likes Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, I would recommend their humorous apocalyptic story 'Good Omens', in which the horseman Famine carries out his role in many humorous ways. My favorite was a diet food company:

""Thank you," said Sable, and he broke the connection.
He was particularly proud of MEALS (TM).
The Newtrition corporation had started small, eleven years ago. A small team of food scientists, a huge team of marketing and public relations personnel and a neat logo.
Two years of Newtrition investment and research had produced CHOW(TM). CHOW(TM) contained spun, plaited and woven protein molecules, capped and coded, carefully designed to be ignored by even the most ravenous digestive tract enzymes; no-cal sweeteners; mineral oils replacing vegetable oils; fibrous materials, colourings and flavourings. The end result was a foodstuff almost entirely indistinguishable from any other except for two things. Firstly, the price, which was slightly higher, and secondly the nutritional content, which was roughly equivalent to that of a Sony Walkman. It didn't matter how much you ate, you lost weight. (And hair. And skin tone. And, if you ate it long enough, vital signs)
Fat people had bought it. Thin people who didn't want to get fat had bought it. CHOW(TM) was the ultimate diet food - carefully spun, woven, textured and pounded to imitate anything, from potatoes to venison, although chicken sold best.

Sable sat back and watched the money roll in. He watched CHOW(TM) gradually fill the ecological niche that used to be filled by the old, untrademarked, food.
He followed CHOW(TM) with SNACKS(TM)-junk food made from real junk.
MEALS(TM) was Sable's latest brainwave.
MEALS(TM) was CHOW(TM) with added sugar and fat. The theory was that if you ate enough MEALS(TM) you would a) get very fat and b) die of malnutrition.
The paradox delighted Sable."
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:58:37 PM
As an obese person, I can tell you that it is no where near as big an issue as hunger.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 9:38:56 AM
At 3/21/2013 6:56:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
No. The obesity is a symptom of a stupidity epidemic which has plagued our species since the outset. The sad fact is that a huge number of people are stupid enough to find a way to kill themselves with food.

If anyone likes Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, I would recommend their humorous apocalyptic story 'Good Omens', in which the horseman Famine carries out his role in many humorous ways. My favorite was a diet food company:

""Thank you," said Sable, and he broke the connection.
He was particularly proud of MEALS (TM).
The Newtrition corporation had started small, eleven years ago. A small team of food scientists, a huge team of marketing and public relations personnel and a neat logo.
Two years of Newtrition investment and research had produced CHOW(TM). CHOW(TM) contained spun, plaited and woven protein molecules, capped and coded, carefully designed to be ignored by even the most ravenous digestive tract enzymes; no-cal sweeteners; mineral oils replacing vegetable oils; fibrous materials, colourings and flavourings. The end result was a foodstuff almost entirely indistinguishable from any other except for two things. Firstly, the price, which was slightly higher, and secondly the nutritional content, which was roughly equivalent to that of a Sony Walkman. It didn't matter how much you ate, you lost weight. (And hair. And skin tone. And, if you ate it long enough, vital signs)
Fat people had bought it. Thin people who didn't want to get fat had bought it. CHOW(TM) was the ultimate diet food - carefully spun, woven, textured and pounded to imitate anything, from potatoes to venison, although chicken sold best.

Sable sat back and watched the money roll in. He watched CHOW(TM) gradually fill the ecological niche that used to be filled by the old, untrademarked, food.
He followed CHOW(TM) with SNACKS(TM)-junk food made from real junk.
MEALS(TM) was Sable's latest brainwave.
MEALS(TM) was CHOW(TM) with added sugar and fat. The theory was that if you ate enough MEALS(TM) you would a) get very fat and b) die of malnutrition.
The paradox delighted Sable."

I hear anything tastes like chicken. I'd eat snake CHOW all day long, dude. Maybe some tiger CHOW too, or some beaver CHOW.
Steadfast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:19:40 AM
Obesity is also a big crises today.
The rate of the obesity is increasing very rapidly ay by day.
The reason behind it the more use of the fried, junk, fast foods and soda drinks.
There is a need to control this obesity and weight gain to promote the health.
Steadfast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:02:13 PM
At 4/8/2013 10:19:40 AM, Steadfast wrote:
The reason behind it the more use of the fried, junk, fast foods and soda drinks.

Any comment?
Steadfast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:07:39 PM
At 4/8/2013 10:19:40 AM, Steadfast wrote:

Any comment?

http://www.bootcampmaitland.com.au...... Fitness Maitland
jamesonmelaini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 11:41:58 AM
Yes i too think obesity is much bigger crisis today than hunger the obesity gives rise to many other h\ealth problems like diabetes and gynaecomestia and even sever the condition of alergy reaction.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:53:03 PM
Question: Is obesity defined under the BMI index? If so it is likely a load of bullsh!t.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 5:57:56 PM
It depends on how you rate a health crisis as big or small.

In terms of dollar amounts, obesity and the health problems that stem from obesity cost taxpayers far more money than problems that hunger cause.

I would also argue that the money we lose because of people living with obesity is greater than the opportunity cost lost due to people dying of hunger.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 1:43:37 PM
At 5/3/2013 2:53:03 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Question: Is obesity defined under the BMI index? If so it is likely a load of bullsh!t.

From a link in the original article:

"The first study says nearly 1.5 billion adults in the world are overweight, and half a billion more are obese. Obesity is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) more than 30."
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

So yes, and I agree, at least on a technical level.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 1:44:17 PM
At 5/3/2013 5:57:56 PM, Kleptin wrote:
It depends on how you rate a health crisis as big or small.

In terms of dollar amounts, obesity and the health problems that stem from obesity cost taxpayers far more money than problems that hunger cause.

I would also argue that the money we lose because of people living with obesity is greater than the opportunity cost lost due to people dying of hunger.

I think this is the main point the article and original study were making.