Grumpy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:49:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:12:55 PM, Nags wrote:
DON'T DO IT!

The report says the gal got a Seasonal Flu shot - not a swine flu shot. Also, there is no empirical evidence that the shot caused her condition. To use this single example as a basis to advise people not to get a shot that very possibly could save their life is reckless at best. If you were a doctor treating patients, your statement could very well be deadly.

Remember, we have a population of 305 million, even a .1% rate of adverse reaction would result in over 300 thousand people getting sicker, some even dying from either the seasonal or the swine flu shot.

It is admittedly sad to see the reaction in the video, but to use this as your basis for advising over 300 million people to ignore the effects of the flu and forego getting immunized is just plain irresponsible. How about a video showing all of the people who have died so far from both the seasonal and swine flu, perhaps as their families watched them as they vomited their way into the statistic books? Would that change your mind?
Cogito Ergo sum Quid sum - Cogito
I think, therefore I am what I am - I think
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:54:37 PM
Good rebuttal, Grumpy. Very well informed.

I plan on getting the flu shot once it is available here in southern Ontario. Our sad excuse for a federal government decided to delay it for this long, and it is just now beginning to roll out - after the second wave has begun to hit.
pwnzoar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 4:43:29 PM
In my family of four I was the only one not immunized for H1N1. I got it. It sucked. One other family member got it from me, but very mildly and was only down for one day (I was down entirely for a week, and have been suffering symptoms for another week after that). From what I see comparing myself to them, it is worth it.
Grumpy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:18:54 PM
Thank you for your comments. As you can probably tell from my post, I am a bit adamant on this subject. Although you may find this a bit of a stretch, I blame the Republican Party (US) for the vast amount of negative rhetoric surrounding the H1N1 vaccine.

How, you ask, can I connect the two? Here's how:

In Dec. of last year, Senator John Boehner (R-OH) the Senate Minority Leader made a comment which I paraphrase as; "If Obama supports it, we will oppose it."

Thus began the most vitriolic and cantankerous relationship between the Congress and the President in recent history. The entire nation, and even foreign nations, have since become more disenchanted with government in general to the extent that even if the CDC has evidence that a.) a Swine Flu Pandemic is possible unless mass vaccinations are received by the public and b.) The Swine flu has been tested extensively and has proven to be no less safe than the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in use for years, the general mood of suspicion disbelieves this and chooses to play ostrich and bury their heads in the sand and their children's as well.

People, this is no laughing matter nor is it something that should be ignored. If you haven't yet gotten your seasonal flu shot, get it as soon as you can. And when the H1N1 vaccine becomes available to you, get that too! In the meantime, take all the precautions you can to avoid the flu. It's your life.
Cogito Ergo sum Quid sum - Cogito
I think, therefore I am what I am - I think
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:21:54 PM
At 10/24/2009 5:18:54 PM, Grumpy wrote:
Thank you for your comments. As you can probably tell from my post, I am a bit adamant on this subject. Although you may find this a bit of a stretch, I blame the Republican Party (US) for the vast amount of negative rhetoric surrounding the H1N1 vaccine.

How, you ask, can I connect the two? Here's how:

In Dec. of last year, Senator John Boehner (R-OH) the Senate Minority Leader made a comment which I paraphrase as; "If Obama supports it, we will oppose it."

Thus began the most vitriolic and cantankerous relationship between the Congress and the President in recent history. The entire nation, and even foreign nations, have since become more disenchanted with government in general to the extent that even if the CDC has evidence that a.) a Swine Flu Pandemic is possible unless mass vaccinations are received by the public and b.) The Swine flu has been tested extensively and has proven to be no less safe than the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in use for years, the general mood of suspicion disbelieves this and chooses to play ostrich and bury their heads in the sand and their children's as well.

People, this is no laughing matter nor is it something that should be ignored. If you haven't yet gotten your seasonal flu shot, get it as soon as you can. And when the H1N1 vaccine becomes available to you, get that too! In the meantime, take all the precautions you can to avoid the flu. It's your life.

While this is true, Swine flu can be cured with bed rest once it's caught early enough, though the symptoms are obvious enough. I totally agree every one should be vaccinated, free of charge.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:23:32 PM
At 10/24/2009 5:21:54 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I totally agree every one should be vaccinated, free of charge.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to coerce Person A into working so Person A can pay for Person B's vaccination. Perfect sense.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:51:17 PM
At 10/24/2009 5:23:32 PM, Nags wrote:

Yes, it makes perfect sense to coerce Person A into working so Person A can pay for Person B's vaccination. Perfect sense.

Wait, who is being coerced and by whom?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:54:57 PM
At 10/24/2009 5:51:17 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/24/2009 5:23:32 PM, Nags wrote:

Government is coercing the taxpayer, obviously.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:59:13 PM
At 10/24/2009 5:54:57 PM, Nags wrote:

Government is coercing the taxpayer, obviously.

I see. From your wording, I thought you meant individuals were being coerced into working.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 6:21:57 PM
Everyone needs the swine flu vaccine, not just because its the right thing to do, but because it is logistically important in order to combat it.

Think of it this way; if only some people, those that can afford it, get the vaccine, that leaves a lot of others who can still contract it, which means that the disease will still spread among a large segment of the population, which in turn means that eventually, the vaccine will become basically useless. Plus, if the disease is more deadly than swine flu has so far proven to be, it means a large, large segment of the population is at risk of being wiped out, which has serious repercussions socially and economically. I mean, hard to produce anything when there isn't enough labour.

So, there is a reason why flu shots need to be free. For what really is quite small costs, you save yourself from a lot of hurt.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:31:55 AM
At 10/24/2009 3:54:37 PM, Volkov wrote:

I plan on getting the flu shot once it is available here in southern Ontario. Our sad excuse for a federal government decided to delay it for this long, and it is just now beginning to roll out - after the second wave has begun to hit.

Gotta love those socialized health care delays.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:42:55 AM
Some of my students have confirmed cases of it.

A close friend of mine, who's also a decorated surgeon, said back in 2004 that flu shots were no better than placebos. Perhaps they've come a long way since then.

Nevertheless, like bird flu, SARS, West Nile Virus, H1N1 is the current rage. It's the flu, albeit a different strand. If you're older than 20, younger than 70, and have an at-least-average immune system, you'll be fine.

Try Stan Marsh's cure for SARS: Campbell's chicken-noodle soup; Dayquil; and Sprite. You should be fine in no time.

Young kids and elderly should perhaps get vaccinated, if it's legit. Other than that, get some rest and we'll see you in a week.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:52:47 AM
Well I live in the UK, so if I as much as stub my toe I have to go before a death panel and plead my case... but anyway can anyone explain to me why on this forum and on others I keep on seeing american teenagers getting flu jabs?!

This is against normal every day flu right?

Why are people so young getting vaccinated against something that they are firstly unlikely to catch, and will pass with only mild inconvenience.

Only over here it is understood that only those of retirement age, or those with certain conditions should be vaccinated.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:26:34 AM
In addition to Grumpy's post, d-bags on Fox have been going on and on about how these vaccines are stupid and unnecessary. Since Fox is the most watched news organization --gag-- it's kind of dangerous to its viewers. I think Grumpy hit it right on the head: People on the Right are opposing just because Obama supports it. To be fair, Bill Maher all the way on the Left is saying the same thing. I hope Glenn Beck dies of the Swine Flu after all his yapping about it :D
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:42:38 PM
At 10/25/2009 3:31:55 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Gotta love those socialized health care delays.

Actually, this was more due to the government's decision to delay it because more testing was needed, which would be the same for the United States under any circumstance, even commercial.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:48:54 PM
At 10/25/2009 8:26:34 AM, theLwerd wrote:
In addition to Grumpy's post, d-bags on Fox have been going on and on about how these vaccines are stupid and unnecessary. Since Fox is the most watched news organization --gag-- it's kind of dangerous to its viewers. I think Grumpy hit it right on the head: People on the Right are opposing just because Obama supports it. To be fair, Bill Maher all the way on the Left is saying the same thing. I hope Glenn Beck dies of the Swine Flu after all his yapping about it :D

But come on...it's Bill Maher. What else do you expect?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 4:13:57 PM
While I agree with Volkov about vaccines in general, I think that this is one situation where I would have to disagree. The flu vaccine is not very effective, and that goes for any type of flu, be it the seasonal flu or the Swine flu. In fact, I think that this vaccination will hurt more than help, because the false hope leads to fearlessness. You'll have a country full of people who have gotten the flu shot, thinking that they're bulletproof. The flu shot probably will not work and the disease will start spreading.

Delaying the vaccine, hyping up the level of danger, and advocating non-vaccine prevention measures is a very efficient tactic. They're delaying the vaccine because they're waiting for the virus to be fought out of the population naturally through scaring people into healthy habits.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 4:15:58 PM
But aren't non-vaccine medications there to help people recover, rather than prevent? That was my understanding.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 4:17:14 PM
At 10/25/2009 3:48:54 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

But come on...it's Bill Maher. What else do you expect?

Whattaya mean?
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 4:39:21 PM
At 10/25/2009 4:15:58 PM, Volkov wrote:
But aren't non-vaccine medications there to help people recover, rather than prevent? That was my understanding.

By non-vaccine prevention, I mean proper hand washing techniques, coughing or sneezing into the elbow, etc.

@Lwerd: I like to think that most people do, but the reality is that most people don't do it, or don't do it the right way. There are signs all over campus at my school about proper hand washing and it seems to be surprisingly effective. This wouldn't happen without the swine flu scare.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 7:53:35 AM
At 11/2/2009 3:49:54 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
...bump

I got the swine flu vaccine about a week and a half ago and had pretty un-enjoyable side affects.

...Such as?

The incontrollable urge to limp like a maniac?
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:10:40 PM
At 11/3/2009 7:53:35 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 11/2/2009 3:49:54 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
...bump

I got the swine flu vaccine about a week and a half ago and had pretty un-enjoyable side affects.

...Such as?

The incontrollable urge to limp like a maniac?

No. Sweats, bad headache, chest pains, sore throat, high fever, arm immobilization.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:15:37 PM
Swine Flu Vaccine
The gov't took it over and (therefore) it wasn't out in time. It's well passed here in my area. Everyone's already had the swine flu.

It wasn't particularly deadly, actually.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light