Jump to topic:

fish antibiotics

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 8:58:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've got strep but don't have an extra hundred bucks to have a doctor confirm it. I've heard pet stores sell the same antibiotics over the counter for fish and such, anyone know if its the same quality? Know anything else about getting antibiotics without a prescription?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:03:54 PM
I highly doubt if it's the same high quality. Though, I once bought medicine for pets because I was desperate... It worked better that the prescription I was given twice and I was fine after I took it but you're definitely taking a risk...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:15:15 PM
At 1/14/2013 8:58:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I've got strep but don't have an extra hundred bucks to have a doctor confirm it. I've heard pet stores sell the same antibiotics over the counter for fish and such, anyone know if its the same quality? Know anything else about getting antibiotics without a prescription?

Seriously? :( Move to Canada. Yes... come here...
yang.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:30:19 PM
You can get drugs over the counter in Canada?
now if I just had the money for a passport ha

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:34:42 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:03:54 PM, Oryus wrote:
I highly doubt if it's the same high quality. Though, I once bought medicine for pets because I was desperate... It worked better that the prescription I was given twice and I was fine after I took it but you're definitely taking a risk...

worked better than*
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:37:09 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:30:19 PM, lewis20 wrote:

If you're looking for an antibiotic, that needs to be prescribed by a doctor, but you can walk into any clinic and see a doctor for free/see your family doctor for free/go to the hospital for free. etc.

Umm as a non Canadian I'm not sure how it works. But I think if you don't have a health card you pay $60 or something.
yang.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 10:54:13 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:37:09 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/14/2013 9:30:19 PM, lewis20 wrote:

If you're looking for an antibiotic, that needs to be prescribed by a doctor, but you can walk into any clinic and see a doctor for free/see your family doctor for free/go to the hospital for free. etc.

Umm as a non Canadian I'm not sure how it works. But I think if you don't have a health card you pay $60 or something.

Yeah, in my town at least, if you want to see a doctor without insurance, it's $100. Then if you need extra tests, more money- and lots of it.

But insurance is so expensive I can't afford it. I would have to go to the doctors a few times every month to make the outrageous payments worth it. And the local pharmacy gives breaks on prescription prices for people who don't have insurance so I'd actually have to pay MORE for meds WITH insurance. It's totally ridiculous.
:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 11:04:27 PM
Ya I'm still under my parents insurance, until like 26 now or something right?, but they only have catastrophic insurance so it doesn't matter unless i cost them 25k or more. Pretty brutal that catastrophic insurance costs them 1000 a month and is only rising.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 11:36:15 PM
My mom used to take horse medicine and it was fine. I wouldn't risk it myself though.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:59:25 AM
At 1/14/2013 11:04:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya I'm still under my parents insurance, until like 26 now or something right?, but they only have catastrophic insurance so it doesn't matter unless i cost them 25k or more. Pretty brutal that catastrophic insurance costs them 1000 a month and is only rising.

Yeah, at this point, I'd be putting myself in debt more by paying for insurance than I would be if I had something really bad happen and had to pay out of pocket.

@bossy- yeah, it was horse medicine that I took too. Bought it at Ye Olde Feed Shop. Worked like a charm. I would only take it if desperate again though... In that situation, I had no money to continue buying the prescription, which I had bought twice, and it didn't work both times.
:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:50:13 PM
At 1/14/2013 11:36:15 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
My mom used to take horse medicine and it was fine. I wouldn't risk it myself though.

I've heard better things about fish medicine. Supposedly they are the exact same pills as generic human drugs. If I could confirm its the exact same thing there wouldn't be much risk.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 3:00:54 PM
I should have done this first, went through the medicine cabinet and found my brothers old prescription for amox/k-clav. which is nice.
I first found my dogs prescription for hydroxyzine and looked it up to see what it was. It's an antihistamine but more importantly I found the pill is the exact same as what a human would take, identified as 3617 V and manufactured by Qualitest Pharmaceuticals.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 3:16:03 PM
At 1/15/2013 3:00:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I should have done this first, went through the medicine cabinet and found my brothers old prescription for amox/k-clav. which is nice.
I first found my dogs prescription for hydroxyzine and looked it up to see what it was. It's an antihistamine but more importantly I found the pill is the exact same as what a human would take, identified as 3617 V and manufactured by Qualitest Pharmaceuticals.

I still think my solution is the best one.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:02:23 PM
At 1/15/2013 3:15:36 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
You could always blow a guy who is on antibiotics.

That option always goes without saying.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:06:48 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:02:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 1/15/2013 3:15:36 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
You could always blow a guy who is on antibiotics.

That option always goes without saying.

Sorry I thought I would mention it...

You know, I'm on antibiotics...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
prin1113ci
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 5:02:46 AM
Fish antibiotics are also becoming popular storage items amongst preppers because no prescription is required to purchase them.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 10:21:58 AM
At 1/14/2013 8:58:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Strength and dosage, in treating an infection, are very important factors; which are determined, primarily, by a person's or animal's size, weight, and age. Believe me, the strength and dose of the medication, for a fish, is trivial compared to that which an adult human would be prescribed.

Antibiotics are drugs that should not be given, willy-nilly; they primarily kill the weakest of the bacteria first, and once the drug, in adequate amounts, builds up in your system, it kills the strongest bacteria, lastly. If you're not taken the drug, as prescribed, it may kill the weakest bacteria while leaving the strongest colonies to survive.