Jump to topic:

One Diet Does Not Fit All (I)*

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 8:42:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would like to propose something, just for the sake of consideration: Some people lose weight, on low fat diets; some people lose weight, on low carb diets; some people practically have to starve themselves, to lose one pound. Most nutritionists and dietitians say low fat diets work because lowering fat intake effectively lowers the number of calories consumed; because, fat has more calories per gram than do carbohydrates. Also, they say low carb diets work because fat and protein are more satiating than carbohydrates; so, a person eats less and, therefore, consumes fewer calories.

So, if both diets work by reducing the number of calories consumed, then, why aren't both diets equally effective, for both groups of people? I have tried the low carb approach and haven't been able to lose weight; however, in the past, I lost a lot of weight, by sticking to a low fat diet. However, I have a friend who says carbs put weight on him while fat makes him leaner. I know many people who have lost a lot of weight on low fat diets but failed miserably on low carbohydrate diets, and I know many people who have lost weight of low carbohydrate diets yet with low fat diets actually gained weight.

*For the sake of brevity, I have chosen to include my hypothesis in a following posts.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:52:33 PM
At 1/22/2013 8:42:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I would like to propose something, just for the sake of consideration: Some people lose weight, on low fat diets; some people lose weight, on low carb diets; some people practically have to starve themselves, to lose one pound. Most nutritionists and dietitians say low fat diets work because lowering fat intake effectively lowers the number of calories consumed; because, fat has more calories per gram than do carbohydrates. Also, they say low carb diets work because fat and protein are more satiating than carbohydrates; so, a person eats less and, therefore, consumes fewer calories.

So, if both diets work by reducing the number of calories consumed, then, why aren't both diets equally effective, for both groups of people? I have tried the low carb approach and haven't been able to lose weight; however, in the past, I lost a lot of weight, by sticking to a low fat diet. However, I have a friend who says carbs put weight on him while fat makes him leaner. I know many people who have lost a lot of weight on low fat diets but failed miserably on low carbohydrate diets, and I know many people who have lost weight of low carbohydrate diets yet with low fat diets actually gained weight.

*For the sake of brevity, I have chosen to include my hypothesis in a following posts.

Diets usually don't work because people are lazy, or they cut too many calories(much less likely).
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 8:09:03 PM
At 1/24/2013 7:52:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
Diets usually don't work because people are lazy, or they cut too many calories(much less likely).

If people are consuming too many calories and calories are energy, why are they lazy?
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 8:26:19 PM
At 1/24/2013 8:09:03 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/24/2013 7:52:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

If people are consuming too many calories and calories are energy, why are they lazy?

They deviate from the diet or don't exercise.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 8:53:19 PM
At 1/24/2013 8:26:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I see what I said went completely over your head. Let me rephrase it, for emphasize: If people are taking in large amounts of energy, why don't they have the energy to exercise?
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 8:58:01 PM
At 1/24/2013 8:53:19 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/24/2013 8:26:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I see what I said went completely over your head. Let me rephrase it, for emphasize: If people are taking in large amounts of energy, why don't they have the energy to exercise?

Because they have no work ethic

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 9:29:07 PM
At 1/24/2013 8:58:01 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/24/2013 8:53:19 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Because they have no work ethic

Completely avoiding my question. Is it for lack of clarity on my part, or is it because you haven't an answer?

I've heard of people having lots of money yet being miserly with it, but I've yet to meet one person having a lot of energy yet intentionally refusing to use it.