Jump to topic:

One Diet Does Not Fit All (II)

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 10:23:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
On a low carbohydrate diet, I have always felt sluggish and bloated as though my body wasn't getting the energy it needed from the foods I ate. I lost all interests in exercise, and the little weight I lost I started to slowly gain it back.

Yet, when I consume a diet with few calories or low in fat, I seem to have more energy and a increased mood.

However, I know some people when on a low carb diet tend to bounce off the walls and lose weight very quickly.

Why does it seem fat and protein slow me down, while energizing others? Is it possible it is more difficult for me to digest fat and protein than it is for others? Is it possible the difficulty I have breaking fat and protein down into energy deprives my muscle of the energy it needs to exercise? My roommate is just the opposite of me; he can eat carbohydrates and minutes, if not seconds, later his sugar is very low. He has a difficult time keeping weight on, and the only thing that works is eating copious amounts of fat and even then he's underweight. It's as though his body converts food into energy too quickly. I feel as though we are Jack Sprat and his wife.

So, in closing, is it possible low fat diets and low carbohydrate diets work according to one's rate of digestion? In other words, as to where, in some people low fat diets stimulate their appetite by their ability to break down carbs too quickly, causing a rapid spike in blood glucose levels and subsequently a rapid decline, in others, a low carbohydrate diet slows the rate of digestion too drastically, causing a lack of energy and a want for exercise.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 10:43:51 PM
At 1/22/2013 10:37:13 PM, Koopin wrote:
hello

CURVE BALL!!!!!

XD
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 10:50:16 PM
At 1/22/2013 10:37:13 PM, Koopin wrote:
hello

LOL.

Just eat KFC.

& drink coke, play again.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 4:27:07 AM
It depends on what you eat. Fruits and vegetables have lots of fibers, which slow digestion -- thus you end up not getting a huge blood sugar spike when you eat them. It's the opposite effect if you drink an energy drink, which has minimal fibers and lots of sugar. (Combine that with caffeine, which is a stimulant, and you'll end up going to the toilet once every hour.)

If you include lots of fibers in your diet alongside any high-carb food, you won't get a huge sugar spike. If you are allergic to some forms of sugar, such as lactose, this can also slow down the blood sugar spike you expect.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 6:56:39 PM
There is one diet that always works, eat less calories than you expend.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 8:46:24 PM
At 1/23/2013 4:27:07 AM, Mirza wrote:
It depends on what you eat. Fruits and vegetables have lots of fibers, which slow digestion -- thus you end up not getting a huge blood sugar spike when you eat them. It's the opposite effect if you drink an energy drink, which has minimal fibers and lots of sugar. (Combine that with caffeine, which is a stimulant, and you'll end up going to the toilet once every hour.)

If you include lots of fibers in your diet alongside any high-carb food, you won't get a huge sugar spike. If you are allergic to some forms of sugar, such as lactose, this can also slow down the blood sugar spike you expect.

That may answer why it is a high fiber diet slows a person's rate of digestion, but it doesn't answer why it is a low fat diet works for some people but not for others. A low fat diet doesn't necessarily equate to eating large amounts of fiber. I was on a low fat diet that was very low in fiber, and I lost weight. I, also, know others that think butter is the epitome of all that's evil; and, white bread is a godsend; and, they've lost weight and have so far kept it at bay.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 8:51:06 PM
At 1/23/2013 6:56:39 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Even though I believe that's true, it's a little more complicated than it sounds.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 6:40:25 AM
At 1/23/2013 8:51:06 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/23/2013 6:56:39 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Even though I believe that's true, it's a little more complicated than it sounds.

As long as you eat at least your BMR calories, and less than you expend, you will lose weight. There are no excuses.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 1:44:46 PM
At 1/24/2013 6:40:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
As long as you eat at least your BMR calories, and less than you expend, you will lose weight. There are no excuses.

Yes, and BMR is not static. Not only do height, weight, sex, age, and a fat mass to lean muscle mass ratio determine BMR but, also, the body's fluctuation in hormones due to stress from a lack of sleep, a female's reproductive cycle, and pollutants and contaminants in air, water, and food, not to mention a disease state or a medical condition causing either a deficiency or hypersecretion of a particular hormone or a gland's resistance to a hormone's effects.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 2:31:00 PM
I'm 6'0" and 153lbs. My BMR is 1500 calories, and due to triathlon training I can consume 4500-4800 calories a day, depending on my workout. Are you saying that if I eat 2000 calories a day for a week that I won't lose weight? No matter how stressed I am or how polluted the air is, I would lose weight on that diet.

Also, I understand that 1% of the population has a gland disorder that makes them fat. But everyone else's gland problem is that their arm gland keeps shoving food into their face gland.

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 2:58:05 PM
At 1/24/2013 2:31:00 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
I'm 6'0" and 153lbs. My BMR is 1500 calories, and due to triathlon training I can consume 4500-4800 calories a day, depending on my workout. Are you saying that if I eat 2000 calories a day for a week that I won't lose weight? No matter how stressed I am or how polluted the air is, I would lose weight on that diet.

Also, I understand that 1% of the population has a gland disorder that makes them fat. But everyone else's gland problem is that their arm gland keeps shoving food into their face gland.

No. I'm saying your BMR is not some static number. It is contingent on other factors in your life. However, normally, it does not vary to any great degree. The older you get the less able your body handles stress. The calories you burn, today, may make you fat, in the future. Just as air pressure in a vehicle's tires, the amount of cargo it has in tow, whether the oil is changed on a regular basis, or whether the vehicle needs a tune up determines its fuel efficiency, so, likewise, many factors determine our bodies' expenditure of energy.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 3:05:49 PM
At 1/24/2013 2:58:05 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/24/2013 2:31:00 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

No. I'm saying your BMR is not some static number. It is contingent on other factors in your life. However, normally, it does not vary to any great degree. The older you get the less able your body handles stress. The calories you burn, today, may make you fat, in the future. Just as air pressure in a vehicle's tires, the amount of cargo it has in tow, whether the oil is changed on a regular basis, or whether the vehicle needs a tune up determines its fuel efficiency, so, likewise, many factors determine our bodies' expenditure of energy.

Your BMR does not fluctuate enough over a period of a few days to make you fat. Over years and years it may, but then you can just lower your caloric intake.

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 9:19:19 PM
At 1/24/2013 3:05:49 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
Your BMR does not fluctuate enough over a period of a few days to make you fat. Over years and years it may, but then you can just lower your caloric intake.

If you studied medicine, you would find sickness and disease is more common in America than health is; and, if you have difficulty taking my word for it, go to the CDC's website and look up the various metabolic disorders and other degenerative diseases and conditions and see what percentage of Americans suffer from them.

According to Bloomberg, America spends more on health care than any other nation, with 17.9% of GDP spent on health care in 2011 and projected to reach 20%, by 2021.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 8:14:14 PM
Eating less is the only diet that works. Denying yourself of foods that you like is just a set up for failure. If you can't train yourself to eat less, you will be fat. It isn't rocket science. Also some people were born to be fat, but are more healthy than thin people. Take Big country nelson for instance.

http://www.google.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 9:19:31 PM
At 1/22/2013 10:23:44 PM, s-anthony wrote:
On a low carbohydrate diet, I have always felt sluggish and bloated as though my body wasn't getting the energy it needed from the foods I ate. I lost all interests in exercise, and the little weight I lost I started to slowly gain it back.

Yet, when I consume a diet with few calories or low in fat, I seem to have more energy and a increased mood.

However, I know some people when on a low carb diet tend to bounce off the walls and lose weight very quickly.

Well, the thing is that targeting any specific aspect of food is not only usually ineffective, it's also unhealthy. You kind of need carbohydrates to survive, for example, and added sugar in specific usually contributes more to weight gain than pure fat does.

Why does it seem fat and protein slow me down, while energizing others? Is it possible it is more difficult for me to digest fat and protein than it is for others?

Yes.

Is it possible the difficulty I have breaking fat and protein down into energy deprives my muscle of the energy it needs to exercise?

Yes.

My roommate is just the opposite of me; he can eat carbohydrates and minutes, if not seconds, later his sugar is very low.

Chances are there's something that he's doing that's inhibiting small intestine absorption, or his small intestine simply doesn't absorb sugar as well as most people.

He has a difficult time keeping weight on, and the only thing that works is eating copious amounts of fat and even then he's underweight.

I hear about this, but I've never met anyone in my entire life for which this was actually a legit case who doesn't have some sort of metabolic disorder. The fact is that the body stores fat in several ways. Just because he doesn't have a huge butt or a gut doesn't mean he doesn't have an overworked liver or a cholesterol problem.

It's as though his body converts food into energy too quickly.

Quite likely.

I feel as though we are Jack Sprat and his wife.

So, in closing, is it possible low fat diets and low carbohydrate diets work according to one's rate of digestion?

I doubt it.

In other words, as to where, in some people low fat diets stimulate their appetite by their ability to break down carbs too quickly, causing a rapid spike in blood glucose levels and subsequently a rapid decline, in others, a low carbohydrate diet slows the rate of digestion too drastically, causing a lack of energy and a want for exercise.

Diets aren't very effective without corresponding activity levels. If your roommate literally sits around all day long pounding sugar and fat, but doesn't gain weight, he probably isn't digesting anything at all, and has serious underlying health issues. If he consumes a great deal of protein and salt, he probably has hyperthyroidism.

For healthy people, you can actually affect your own metabolic rate. When I'm being slovenly, for example, my metabolic rate slows to a standstill. I poo once a day, or even every other day, and gain weight very easily with too much sugar consumption. However, when I'm active or when I exercise, I poo two to three times a day and the weight just burns off. This is especially true when I limit my sugar intake and avoid processed foods.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 2:52:31 PM
At 1/30/2013 8:14:14 PM, sadolite wrote:
Eating less is the only diet that works. Denying yourself of foods that you like is just a set up for failure. If you can't train yourself to eat less, you will be fat. It isn't rocket science. Also some people were born to be fat, but are more healthy than thin people. Take Big country nelson for instance.

Calories, in and of themselves, do not make people fat. The calorie is only a unit of chemical energy. The body can expend that energy, or it can store it. To say all people's bodies handle calories in the exact same way is complete naivety. Just as there are many different people with many different physical characteristics, so, likewise, there are many different hormonal and glandular profiles. I dare you to take a group of people all the same age, gender, and height, without any existing medical conditions, and feed them the exact same diet with the exact same number of calories and the exact same activity level; monitor them for six months; at the end of the six months, weigh them and see how many people have the exact same weight with the exact same fat mass to lean muscle mass ratio.

P.S. To save you the enormous expense, time, and energy of the study, I thought I'd let you know, this has been done with almost every dietary study that has ever been done; and, individual participation almost always renders different results.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 4:35:23 PM
At 2/1/2013 2:52:31 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/30/2013 8:14:14 PM, sadolite wrote:

Calories, in and of themselves, do not make people fat. The calorie is only a unit of chemical energy. The body can expend that energy, or it can store it. To say all people's bodies handle calories in the exact same way is complete naivety. Just as there are many different people with many different physical characteristics, so, likewise, there are many different hormonal and glandular profiles. I dare you to take a group of people all the same age, gender, and height, without any existing medical conditions, and feed them the exact same diet with the exact same number of calories and the exact same activity level; monitor them for six months; at the end of the six months, weigh them and see how many people have the exact same weight with the exact same fat mass to lean muscle mass ratio.

P.S. To save you the enormous expense, time, and energy of the study, I thought I'd let you know, this has been done with almost every dietary study that has ever been done; and, individual participation almost always renders different results.

Here's how the diet works. You go stand in the mirror. You make an observation with regard to the fatness of yourself. If you are happy with what you see, make no changes in the amount of food you eat. If you look like a fat cow, eat less. It isn't rocket science. Complicating everything with calories and carbohydrates or what ever, that just means you are telling people to stop eating foods they like, which of course will fail 99.9% of the time. If you tell someone they can eat what ever they want but eat it in smaller amounts, they are guaranteed to lose weight 100% of the time. Don't include medical disorders, as this thread is not about how to lose weight when you have sort of rare medical disorder. Anyone who eats less food than their current intake regardless of what they eat that doesn't have some sort of medical disorder will lose weight 100% of the time. It is absolute fact.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 10:08:52 PM
At 2/1/2013 4:35:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
Here's how the diet works. You go stand in the mirror. You make an observation with regard to the fatness of yourself. If you are happy with what you see, make no changes in the amount of food you eat. If you look like a fat cow, eat less. It isn't rocket science. Complicating everything with calories and carbohydrates or what ever, that just means you are telling people to stop eating foods they like, which of course will fail 99.9% of the time. If you tell someone they can eat what ever they want but eat it in smaller amounts, they are guaranteed to lose weight 100% of the time. Don't include medical disorders, as this thread is not about how to lose weight when you have sort of rare medical disorder. Anyone who eats less food than their current intake regardless of what they eat that doesn't have some sort of medical disorder will lose weight 100% of the time. It is absolute fact.

"Complicating everything with calories...." What, in God's name, do you think fat is? It's stored calories, and just eating less will cause a loss of weight. Why? Because, there is less energy to store; however, there is less energy to burn, also; so, the body slows down, to compensate for the lack of energy; and, once it slows down, it requires even less energy than it did when you began your diet. So, in order to continue losing weight, you have to reduce the amount of food you're eating, even more.

This might not be how it works for you, but this is how it works for most people who struggle to keep off weight. You have taken your own isolated experience and have projected it onto the rest of the world, while completely ignoring the results of obesity clinics across the country. What I have said is almost verbatim of that which has been published by leading obesity researchers for the last 100 years (such as the Mayo Clinic). These are clinics that have done exactly that which you have prescribed with thousands of people for decades; they have fed participants less food than that which they're accustomed to eating, and even though dieters do lose weight, they almost always gain it back, eating the same prescribed diet.

Since you know the answer to how to lose weight and keep it off, why are you talking to me? Why don't you talk to the experts who have spent many, many years and millions of dollars trying to find the answer?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 12:19:23 PM
At 2/1/2013 10:08:52 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 2/1/2013 4:35:23 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Complicating everything with calories...." What, in God's name, do you think fat is? It's stored calories, and just eating less will cause a loss of weight. Why? Because, there is less energy to store; however, there is less energy to burn, also; so, the body slows down, to compensate for the lack of energy; and, once it slows down, it requires even less energy than it did when you began your diet. So, in order to continue losing weight, you have to reduce the amount of food you're eating, even more.

This might not be how it works for you, but this is how it works for most people who struggle to keep off weight. You have taken your own isolated experience and have projected it onto the rest of the world, while completely ignoring the results of obesity clinics across the country. What I have said is almost verbatim of that which has been published by leading obesity researchers for the last 100 years (such as the Mayo Clinic). These are clinics that have done exactly that which you have prescribed with thousands of people for decades; they have fed participants less food than that which they're accustomed to eating, and even though dieters do lose weight, they almost always gain it back, eating the same prescribed diet.

Since you know the answer to how to lose weight and keep it off, why are you talking to me? Why don't you talk to the experts who have spent many, many years and millions of dollars trying to find the answer?

What ever. Go ahead and count calories and carbohydrates and fat and deny your self of foods that you like. I would put eating less against any self denying calorie counting diet any day of the week. The human body is best when it's food intake is a step or two above starvation. Like you said, "it stores what it doesn't need" Eating less means the body doesn't store anything, I don't care if you eat fatty foods. The body will convert it and use it.