Cryonic immortality

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 6:21:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://www.alcor.org...

This foundation cryogenically freezes dead people with the thought that some time in the future, with improved medicine, they may be able to be revived.

I don't find this morally disagreeable, but I do personally find it completely disgusting. I would never want to defy death and come to conscience (perhaps with damaged mind or memory) in some future, alien era. It might just be an irrational fear of the unknown, though, on my part.

What are your thoughts on this concept?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 6:24:41 PM
At 11/19/2009 6:21:25 PM, Harlan wrote:

This foundation cryogenically freezes dead people with the thought that some time in the future, with improved medicine, they may be able to be revived.

I don't find this morally disagreeable, but I do personally find it completely disgusting. I would never want to defy death and come to conscience (perhaps with damaged mind or memory) in some future, alien era. It might just be an irrational fear of the unknown, though, on my part.

That is a cool idea assuming that his/her consciousness never left the body. Otherwise it'd never work.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 6:27:36 PM
At 11/19/2009 6:21:25 PM, Harlan wrote:

I find it neither morally disagreeble or completely disgusting. If anything, I find it a bit too optimistic.

If it could be shown to be possible and I had enough money and time before my death to sort it out, I would sign up for it. To be given a second go at life, and possibly in thousands of years' time.... that's cool in my books.

I wonder what Christians and others who believe in an afterlife think of it. Imagine dying, finding there is a heaven or some such and hanging out there for a few millenia, only to be plucked from there and brought back to this sh*t-hole for another go... you'd be pretty annoyed I'd think.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 6:30:09 PM
Interesting idea, I suppose. I'm with you Harlan, in that I personally wouldn't do this for myself; when my time comes, and hopefully that will be a long, long time from now, I'd prefer to just be dead.

But, if people so choose to do it, then let them - it's their money.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 6:47:22 PM
"Alcor's formula is more concentrated than formulas that permit survival of small organs, but its similarity to these formulas suggests that it is preserving biochemistry very effectively."

i.e. a lot of guess work. :P
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 11:55:15 AM
I became less excited about this after watching Vanilla Sky, but I'd still do it if I had the funds. I'd love to see the future, even if it turns out to be as mundane as today. Of course, I'd probably only go through with it if I could convince my loved ones to do it, too. I don't want to be the only one around who can't work a jetpack.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...