Jump to topic:

Washing your hands while cooking chicken

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 10:38:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I got into a heated conversation last night with several people about washing hands while cooking chicken. I'm taking a poll to see where everyone on DDO stands.

Which theory do you support?

While working with raw chicken,

1) It's OK to fill a sink with hot, soapy water and dip your hands in to clean them, then return to working with other foods/things.

2) You MUST get a fresh squirt of soap and rinse off with the tap to eliminate any possibility of SALMONILLA being transmitted back onto your hands and spreading to other surfaces.

I support theory #1, and was consequentially called "dirty chicken man" by several people for the remainder of the night. Was this demeaning title justified?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 11:15:44 PM
At 4/26/2013 11:08:13 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Number two dirty chicken man.

Yeah, but only if the second option is antibacterial soap.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 11:34:36 PM
If my memory is right, the water would have to be around 75 degrees Celsius in order to actually kill the salmonella. The hottest tap water gets is around 60 degrees (which is already about 5 degrees more than you need to burn yourself btw), so it's not hot enough to actually kill the salmonella, which means it is possible for the Salmonella to transmit back onto your hands at that temperature.

However, realistically the soap should take care of it, so long as you use enough. So it's unlikely that anyone will get sick from it, but if I were to bring my kids to your restaurant, for example, I would obviously prefer that the chicken was handled with new soap and water each time.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.