Jump to topic:

Article on vegan diets

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 6:29:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just read an excellent, peer-reviewed article, written by medical doctors, arguing that physicians should create a "societal shift toward plant-based nutrition". The authors highlight ways that plant-based diets can be used to lower the risks of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, mortality and obesity. Read and discuss.

http://www.thepermanentejournal.org...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:10:43 PM
"Despite these smaller differences, there is evidence that a broadly defined plant-based diet has significant health benefits. It should be noted that the term plant-based is sometimes used interchangeably with vegetarian or vegan. Vegetarian or vegan diets adopted for ethical or religious reasons may or may not be healthy. It is thus important to know the specific definitions of related diets and to ascertain the details of a patient"s diet rather than making assumptions about how healthy it is. The following is a brief summary of typical diets that restrict animal products. A key distinction is that although most of these diets are defined by what they exclude, the plant-based diet is defined by what it includes."

I think that every informed person can agree that maximizing the consumption of nutrient-dense plant food is ideal. It's the complete elimination of meat, fish, and other animal-based products that isn't really justified, and it's the focus on those sorts of exclusionary diets that pushes people in the opposite direction, in my opinion. Advocates of vegetarianism and veganism would accomplish much more if they just advocated for more plant-based diets instead. Widespread adoption of such measures would deal a hefty blow to factory farms, as the small amount of meat and fish which are involved in the more moderate diets can be easily obtained from local, sustainable operations.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:47:39 PM
Locally grown/raised vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, occasional low-fat dairy, multi-grain bread, lean meats and fish for me thanks.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 4:08:33 PM
At 5/15/2013 9:10:43 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I think that every informed person can agree that maximizing the consumption of nutrient-dense plant food is ideal.

Yes, there's a great book called 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden that I highly recommend. If you PM me your email, I can send you the book.

It's the complete elimination of meat, fish, and other animal-based products that isn't really justified, and it's the focus on those sorts of exclusionary diets that pushes people in the opposite direction, in my opinion. Advocates of vegetarianism and veganism would accomplish much more if they just advocated for more plant-based diets instead. Widespread adoption of such measures would deal a hefty blow to factory farms, as the small amount of meat and fish which are involved in the more moderate diets can be easily obtained from local, sustainable operations.

Agreed, and I admire people like you who can see a positive outcome from these types of situations :)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.