Jump to topic:

DDO's Exercise Ability

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 11:49:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obviously there are many ways to assess fitness, and the ways to assess fitness partially depend upon conflicting sets of criteria. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to see how DDO ranks when it comes to fitness. Feel free to use whatever criteria you want when evaluating; I'm probably biased towards what I'm better at. I'll mention a scant few times from my athletics carnival and some statements then make some qualitative remarks.

100m : My last sprint was in 12.8 seconds; not too fast
400m: Last run was 62 seconds; fairly slow
Plank hold: I can manage 4-5 minutes.

Obviously, I've chosen some of my slightly better results. I'm alright at long distance running as well (in a 6km cross country I came about 20th between the 16s, 17s and 18 boys; the number of guys from those age groups would have been about 250 if everybody had entered; I'm 17) . Fairly strong with regards to plank, sit-ups, crunches, and such. One anomaly to this is push-ups - I'm not so good there. Could anyone illuminate why one would be very strong at a plank hold yet not at push-ups? Push-ups as well as various strength exercises (particularly those involving the triceps) are a relative weakness of mine; this might relate to my body's build (tall and relatively slim) , though that's only part of the reason I'm sure. Finally, squats and leg strength is something I'm fairly decent at.

Okay, enough listing of paltry stats. I'm interested to see how well DDO holds themselves together fitness wise. Many of the smartest at my school tend to be above-average fitness; maybe this also applies to DDO. Also, if people would like to detail their exercise routines and schedules I'd be interested to listen.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:50:26 AM
I boulder, lightly rock climb, and swim. Last Friday I climbed up a fallen three hanging into a ravine, and a friend and I ran, and I mean ran as fast as we could, across a boulder field, jumping from rock to rock. It's a very exhilarating activity. When I went to Canada I did cliff diving, and would love to try that again if I could find a place to do it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:51:54 AM
And planking relies on core strength, while pushups are more upper body. I'm 5'7" and 130 pounds. Wiry describes me best in terms of physique.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -