Jump to topic:

Does Oral Sex Cause Cancer?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 11:03:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Believe it or not, this is not a trolling thread, the topic is actually serious:

http://www.cnn.com...

Yes, Michael Douglas's face is now attached to this medical prognosis, and apparently according to CNN there is reason to suspect that an "STV" (sexually transmitted virus, I made this up) is responsible for causing oral cancer.

On a side note, Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta's head sizes and hair cuts are almost perfectly symmetrical.

Your thoughts?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 11:06:46 AM
At 6/6/2013 11:03:02 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
Believe it or not, this is not a trolling thread, the topic is actually serious:

Yes, Michael Douglas's face is now attached to this medical prognosis, and apparently according to CNN there is reason to suspect that an "STV" (sexually transmitted virus, I made this up) is responsible for causing oral cancer.

On a side note, Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta's head sizes and hair cuts are almost perfectly symmetrical.

Your thoughts?

hmmm. You know I'm not a fan of CNN. Is there another source that might be a little helpful to me, or others.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 11:47:57 AM
technically cancer isn't a virus
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:01:13 PM
At 6/6/2013 11:47:57 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Your right, because it doesn't spread.
Virus is a thing you can catch from another person.
Cancer is a disease.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:11:48 PM
This is horribly wrong, but I find this pretty hilarious.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:29:29 PM

Apparently viruses can cause cancer.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:29:47 PM
At 6/6/2013 12:11:48 PM, Contra wrote:
This is horribly wrong, but I find this pretty hilarious.

And yet, you don't have an argument against it. :o
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:30:44 PM
At 6/6/2013 11:06:46 AM, leojm wrote:

hmmm. You know I'm not a fan of CNN. Is there another source that might be a little helpful to me, or others.

You're more than welcome to proffer sources of your own to support or refute.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:31:31 PM
At 6/6/2013 12:01:13 PM, leojm wrote:

Cancer is a disease.

i still wouldn't call it a disease. cancer is just an abnormal growth of cells in a certain part of body, whether it be your lungs or your reproductive organs
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:32:01 PM

Cancers spread.

Cancer is a disease.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:35:12 PM

Recall what an STD is - a sexually transmitted disease.

You can "catch" a disease from another person.

Cancer is a disease.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:35:55 PM
At 6/6/2013 12:31:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Cancer is a disease.

i still wouldn't call it a disease. cancer is just an abnormal growth of cells in a certain part of body, whether it be your lungs or your reproductive organs

Apparently by definition cancer is a disease:
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 6:07:13 PM
Well, HPV causes cancer, hence the whole Gardasil vaccine. Saying the oral sex causes cancer is about as accurate as saying that regular sex causes AIDS. It's only true if the virus is already involved to begin with.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:45:06 PM
So I will simply finger older women instead... This isn't news, but since a celebrity is talking about it, they feel the need to address it again.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:57:51 PM

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Love the hair.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:05:19 PM
At 6/8/2013 2:57:51 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Love the hair.

As always your thoughts are much appreciated, lol. :o
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:49:55 PM

That^

Cancer isn't even a single disease, either. It's hundreds of different ones that do similar things.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:58:19 PM

Your thoughts?

There is some evidence to suggest that HPV can cause oral cancer, as a result of oral sex.... it's far-fetched but not nonsense, by any measure.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:17:06 PM
At 6/6/2013 6:07:13 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Well, HPV causes cancer, hence the whole Gardasil vaccine. Saying the oral sex causes cancer is about as accurate as saying that regular sex causes AIDS. It's only true if the virus is already involved to begin with.

This is correct. It's also more common in people who perform oral sex on males.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:06:07 PM
At 6/8/2013 10:17:06 PM, YYW wrote:

lol, I'm guessing neither of you actually bothered to open the link. =)

That's what the CNN piece was about, although I think Douglas is not gay.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 4:50:43 PM
"Does Oral Sex Cause Cancer?" Probably not but in some cases what appears to be a pearl necklace will form around the givers neck.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:45:27 PM
At 6/8/2013 2:45:06 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
So I will simply finger older women instead...

^^Why I love Austen
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:51:26 AM
At 6/8/2013 11:06:07 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 6/8/2013 10:17:06 PM, YYW wrote:

lol, I'm guessing neither of you actually bothered to open the link. =)

I watched it, but responded to the topic rather than the content of the video.

That's what the CNN piece was about, although I think Douglas is not gay.

I doubt he is, but the point was that there is evidence to suggest that performing oral sex may cause cancer -particularly if one performs oral sex on men.