Jump to topic:

Diseases

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 7:24:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Vaccinations are good sometimes, but compulsory vaccinations are not. They are violations of one's right to their own person. They implement a large and mostly unnecessary social cost.

Vaccinations in general are ineffective because viruses mutate.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:10:24 PM
Don't interact with people, and don't eat.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:18:18 PM
At 12/3/2009 7:24:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Vaccinations are good sometimes, but compulsory vaccinations are not. They are violations of one's right to their own person. They implement a large and mostly unnecessary social cost.

Okay, but what is an alternative to vaccinations? I was thinking that an alternative could be to just improve sanitation. Even after that, if a person still gets a disease, they could be quarantined, until they are better. How would you attack that?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:24:32 PM
At 12/3/2009 6:48:42 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:
What is a safe way to prevent disease besides vaccinations?

Sanitary conditions, proper nutrition, and generally being careful of whom you're around. Not much else you can do.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:30:07 PM

Are you going to be one of those who doesn't get their baby vaccinated?
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:31:55 PM
At 12/3/2009 8:30:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Are you going to be one of those who doesn't get their baby vaccinated?

That would be forcing it on the kid, so of course he won't! The baby must have his/her choice! Just like Ragnar's idea of signing kids up to contracts between themselves and parents, or the government, or a banker, etc.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:32:22 PM
I heard that with vaccinations there's a free rider problem, where so long as everyone else is getting vaccinated, your probably better off not.

If this is the case, and most everyone got vaccinated, I'd have a hard time vaccinating my baby.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:32:51 PM
Okay, but what is an alternative to vaccinations? I was thinking that an alternative could be to just improve sanitation. Even after that, if a person still gets a disease, they could be quarantined, until they are better. How would you attack that?

Improvement of sanitation is fine.
However, your proposition of quarantine is much too sketchy. Where and how will the diseased be held? What if the disease is terminal and the "victim" is unable to say his/her last words to family due to confinement. Money? Human liberties? It would be quite costly, and the argument of human liberties comes into importance.
Discuss the human liberty part of the issue with wjmelements.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:33:27 PM
Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you eat, use the restroom, etc.

That's probably the most realistic advice out there.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:35:30 PM
At 12/3/2009 8:33:27 PM, mongeese wrote:
Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you eat, use the restroom, etc.

Don't use the Hot Air Dryers though! Breeding grounds, they are.

Metaphysics:
idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:37:15 PM
At 12/3/2009 8:32:51 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

However, your proposition of quarantine is much too sketchy. Where and how will the diseased be held? What if the disease is terminal and the "victim" is unable to say his/her last words to family due to confinement. Money? Human liberties? It would be quite costly, and the argument of human liberties comes into importance.
I understand that. If the disease still occurs after you've improved sanitation, how to you keep the disease from spreading without vaccinations?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 8:38:50 PM
At 12/3/2009 8:37:15 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:
At 12/3/2009 8:32:51 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I understand that. If the disease still occurs after you've improved sanitation, how to you keep the disease from spreading without vaccinations?

Hand sanitizer. But then you will, as we currently are in the process of doing, create superbugs.

Metaphysics:
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 10:46:17 PM
As far as i know, and in my opinion nutrition and overall bodily health is the best way to prevent them, a strong immune system is key. Washing your hands actually removes a protective oil from your skin that can prevent germs, and/or prevent them from reproducing/replicating. A strong and healthy body, very well described in "natural cures" by Kevin Trudeau, can prevent most diseases.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:39:14 PM
Alex H and Matt are both right on the money. Constant hand-washing can hurt more than it helps, and it's the same with the use of hand sanitizers. Microbes on the skin surface are generally harmless and make up a normal population. When you use hand sanitizers, antimicrobial lotions, or wash your hands unnecessarily, then you run the risk of breeding resistant strains.

The best way of preventing disease, as AH said, is to keep up your immune system and not take broad spectrum antibiotics if you just have a little bug. Bed-rest and nutrition are the best ways to get over illness.

For anyone worrying about swine flu, you should probably stop. Tamiflu was so widely used that there are now Tamiflu resistant strains in Europe. Stop using medication if you're a healthy individual, and you'll save countless lives later on.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 2:00:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago

You mean aside from the fact that people who don't get vaccinated can get others sick and are a threat.