Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Abortion - Harmful Effects on Woman

dogparktom
Posts: 112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 4:56:51 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Last night while channel surfing at halftime, I stopped on a local channel where two women were talking. I soon discovered that they were discussing a topic that I was unaware of: post-abortion physical and emotional effects on the woman. I didn't think that there were any adverse effects after a woman has an abortion.

One of the speakers, Theresa Burke, was a PhD and an author. The discussion was so interesting that I decided to listen instead of returning to the football game. And this morning I found the website. http://rachelsvineyard.org...

Here, from the site, is some information:

Symptoms of Post-Abortion Trauma:

Bouts of crying
Depression
Guilt
Inability to forgive yourself
Intense grief / sadness
Anger / rage
Emotional numbness
Sexual problems or promiscuity
Eating disorders
Lowered self esteem
Drug and alcohol abuse
Nightmares and sleep disturbances
Suicidal urges
Difficulty with relationships
Anxiety and panic attacks
Flashbacks
Multiple abortions
Pattern of repeat crisis pregnancy
Discomfort around babies or pregnant women
Fear / ambivalence of pregnancy

However, I find that pro-abortion people contest the causal relationship between abortion and harm that is claimed above.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

So, the ISSUE is: Whether or not induced abortion has harmful effects on women's mental health?

I would like to hear the opinions on the issue from you young folks. Perhaps, you have had friends who have had abortions and you can relate their experience.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 6:57:27 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I asked one of my former girlfriends to terminate an unplanned pregnancy and I didn't notice any of these symptoms afterwards, but I suppose the operation affects different women in different ways.

Also, we must remember that full-term pregnancy comes with its own set of physical and emotional symptoms, extending to post-natal depression after the birth (which itself can be life-threatening to the mother).

In the final analysis, no woman tries to get pregnant so that she can have an abortion for the fun of it; rather they make the decision that bringing a child into the world in their own set of personal circumstances would be the wrong thing to do and it is right that they should be allowed to make that choice for themselves.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 10:34:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 6:57:27 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I asked one of my former girlfriends to terminate an unplanned pregnancy and I didn't notice any of these symptoms afterwards, but I suppose the operation affects different women in different ways.

Also, we must remember that full-term pregnancy comes with its own set of physical and emotional symptoms, extending to post-natal depression after the birth (which itself can be life-threatening to the mother).

In the final analysis, no woman tries to get pregnant so that she can have an abortion for the fun of it; rather they make the decision that bringing a child into the world in their own set of personal circumstances would be the wrong thing to do and it is right that they should be allowed to make that choice for themselves.

This seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

All I can really add is that I like my women a little messed up and loony. It makes them easier to coerce into various deeds and actions. It's a fetish, I guess, like my feminist one. Oh, those feminists...yummy!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 12:28:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 4:56:51 AM, dogparktom wrote:
Bouts of crying
Depression
Guilt
Inability to forgive yourself
Intense grief / sadness
Anger / rage
Emotional numbness

All of this can occur from any situation imaginable in life. Maybe we should outlaw life?

Sexual problems or promiscuity
Eating disorders
Lowered self esteem
Drug and alcohol abuse

Whoever made this list is an idiot, because eating disorders are not resultant from a woman choosing to have an abortion, as are everything else. 'Lowered self esteem' is actually the root cause of the other three, but I fail to see how choosing to have an abortion would send this to such an extent that it would be unimaginable, which is what this (now clearly) quack of a doctor is claiming.

Nightmares and sleep disturbances
Suicidal urges
Difficulty with relationships
Anxiety and panic attacks
Flashbacks
Multiple abortions
Pattern of repeat crisis pregnancy
Discomfort around babies or pregnant women
Fear / ambivalence of pregnancy

All c-r-a-p. How can you a) have a 'repeat crisis of pregnancy,' or be sexually promiscuous, if you have a fear of being pregnant? Do you not see the inherent contradiction with that one "symptom" alone?

And what the hell - "flashbacks"? Abortion isn't PTSD. There is no trauma associated with having an abortion, unless you outlaw it, which will lead to illegal, unsafe abortions.

It appears, to me, that this quack doctor simply listed a bunch of psychological issues and pinned the to abortion. It is crap, it is contradictory, it is false.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 12:48:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 10:34:50 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 12/6/2009 6:57:27 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I asked one of my former girlfriends to terminate an unplanned pregnancy and I didn't notice any of these symptoms afterwards, but I suppose the operation affects different women in different ways.

Also, we must remember that full-term pregnancy comes with its own set of physical and emotional symptoms, extending to post-natal depression after the birth (which itself can be life-threatening to the mother).

In the final analysis, no woman tries to get pregnant so that she can have an abortion for the fun of it; rather they make the decision that bringing a child into the world in their own set of personal circumstances would be the wrong thing to do and it is right that they should be allowed to make that choice for themselves.

This seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

All I can really add is that I like my women a little messed up and loony. It makes them easier to coerce into various deeds and actions.

The way that came off just sounds absolutely creepy. But, perhaps that's only me.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 12:55:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 12:48:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/6/2009 10:34:50 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
This seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

All I can really add is that I like my women a little messed up and loony. It makes them easier to coerce into various deeds and actions.

The way that came off just sounds absolutely creepy. But, perhaps that's only me.

You aren't alone, 'twas indeed creepy.
daniel_t
Posts: 16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 1:45:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 4:56:51 AM, dogparktom wrote:

... they were discussing a topic that I was unaware of: post-abortion physical and emotional effects on the woman. I didn't think that there were any adverse effects after a woman has an abortion.

It's a medical procedure. Of course there is the potential for adverse effects.

So, the ISSUE is: Whether or not induced abortion has harmful effects on women's mental health?

Invariably? Of course not, that would be silly.

I would like to hear the opinions on the issue from you young folks. Perhaps, you have had friends who have had abortions and you can relate their experience.

In my own opinion, a woman who can casually get an abortion should not have kids anyway... But I'm not one of the "young folks"...

I had a girlfriend once, then we broke up and I met another girl. After a whirlwind three month courtship, we got married. Two months later, my ex-girlfriend called me to inform me she was pregnant (with my child.) She had already decided to have the baby and give it up for adoption, but I needed to sign a release.

I had another girlfriend once who called me one day to inform me she was pregnant and that she was getting an abortion (note, she had decided before informing me.) I, of course, took her to the center and paid for everything, consoled her and such, but it was the beginning of the end of our relationship. We broke up a few months after that.

I've given two kids up for adoption, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about them, wondering where they are and if they are looking for me. I can't legally look for them, they have to make the first move. When I see someone of the right age who looks vaguely like me in the mall, I find myself wondering...

I don't think of the child lost to the abortion much. I know it isn't walking this earth...

At any rate, I've opened up way more than I probably should have...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 2:41:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 12:55:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/6/2009 12:48:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/6/2009 10:34:50 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
This seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

All I can really add is that I like my women a little messed up and loony. It makes them easier to coerce into various deeds and actions.

The way that came off just sounds absolutely creepy. But, perhaps that's only me.

Sorry, but these sort of very personal situations are difficult to express properly in a few lines. It was a very sad time for both of us and it was a difficult decision we took together after a great deal of soul searching. I'm still not sure we reached the right conclusion.

Anyway, the point is that this sort of decision must be for the mother and father, not the government.

You aren't alone, 'twas indeed creepy.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2009 2:49:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 2:41:57 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 12/6/2009 12:55:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/6/2009 12:48:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/6/2009 10:34:50 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
This seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

All I can really add is that I like my women a little messed up and loony. It makes them easier to coerce into various deeds and actions.

The way that came off just sounds absolutely creepy. But, perhaps that's only me.

Sorry, but these sort of very personal situations are difficult to express properly in a few lines. It was a very sad time for both of us and it was a difficult decision we took together after a great deal of soul searching. I'm still not sure we reached the right conclusion.

Anyway, the point is that this sort of decision must be for the mother and father, not the government.

You aren't alone, 'twas indeed creepy.

They were talking about Poejoe's post mate. And I concur with the creepiness.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Sylux
Posts: 290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 9:54:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/6/2009 1:45:55 PM, daniel_t wrote:
At 12/6/2009 4:56:51 AM, dogparktom wrote:

... they were discussing a topic that I was unaware of: post-abortion physical and emotional effects on the woman. I didn't think that there were any adverse effects after a woman has an abortion.

It's a medical procedure. Of course there is the potential for adverse effects.

So, the ISSUE is: Whether or not induced abortion has harmful effects on women's mental health?

Invariably? Of course not, that would be silly.

I would like to hear the opinions on the issue from you young folks. Perhaps, you have had friends who have had abortions and you can relate their experience.

In my own opinion, a woman who can casually get an abortion should not have kids anyway... But I'm not one of the "young folks"...

I had a girlfriend once, then we broke up and I met another girl. After a whirlwind three month courtship, we got married. Two months later, my ex-girlfriend called me to inform me she was pregnant (with my child.) She had already decided to have the baby and give it up for adoption, but I needed to sign a release.

I had another girlfriend once who called me one day to inform me she was pregnant and that she was getting an abortion (note, she had decided before informing me.) I, of course, took her to the center and paid for everything, consoled her and such, but it was the beginning of the end of our relationship. We broke up a few months after that.

I've given two kids up for adoption, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about them, wondering where they are and if they are looking for me. I can't legally look for them, they have to make the first move. When I see someone of the right age who looks vaguely like me in the mall, I find myself wondering...

I don't think of the child lost to the abortion much. I know it isn't walking this earth...

At any rate, I've opened up way more than I probably should have...

Yeah, put the mask back on.
Opening up to anyone is dangerous.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
sydnerella
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 4:07:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
These effects I'm sure can occur in some women. However, I think the whole point of allowing abortion is to give women an option. Abortion can be the right choice for one woman but not another. It is really based on what feels right and works best for an individual, and this will vary from one individual to the next. But just stating a bunch of possible effects that abortion can have doesn't mean it should be banned. A lot of things can have harmful side effects and are still considered perfectly legal. Abortion should remain so. Every woman deserves the option.
Lixie13
Posts: 19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I would imagine it does. I mean it's a big deal to have a living thing inside of you and then have it destroyed (btw, I'm pro-abortion, I just understand that this would be a very difficult issue emotionally).
I know someone who had an abortion when she was 16, and she says sometimes she still has nightmares about it.
One of my closer friends did not have an abortion, but she did have a miscarriage when she was 14 or 15. She was very traumatized by the experience and cried hysterically for the first few weeks after that. I'm not sure how she takes it now (it's been about three years), but I know it's always been a sensitive issue for her.
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 12:05:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/6/2009 1:45:55 PM, daniel_t wrote:
At 12/6/2009 4:56:51 AM, dogparktom wrote:

... they were discussing a topic that I was unaware of: post-abortion physical and emotional effects on the woman. I didn't think that there were any adverse effects after a woman has an abortion.

It's a medical procedure. Of course there is the potential for adverse effects.

So, the ISSUE is: Whether or not induced abortion has harmful effects on women's mental health?

Invariably? Of course not, that would be silly.

I would like to hear the opinions on the issue from you young folks. Perhaps, you have had friends who have had abortions and you can relate their experience.

In my own opinion, a woman who can casually get an abortion should not have kids anyway... But I'm not one of the "young folks"...

I had a girlfriend once, then we broke up and I met another girl. After a whirlwind three month courtship, we got married. Two months later, my ex-girlfriend called me to inform me she was pregnant (with my child.) She had already decided to have the baby and give it up for adoption, but I needed to sign a release.

I had another girlfriend once who called me one day to inform me she was pregnant and that she was getting an abortion (note, she had decided before informing me.) I, of course, took her to the center and paid for everything, consoled her and such, but it was the beginning of the end of our relationship. We broke up a few months after that.

I've given two kids up for adoption, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about them, wondering where they are and if they are looking for me. I can't legally look for them, they have to make the first move. When I see someone of the right age who looks vaguely like me in the mall, I find myself wondering...

I don't think of the child lost to the abortion much. I know it isn't walking this earth...

At any rate, I've opened up way more than I probably should have...

Must have been something to be a teen in the 70's and early 80's! :)

These symptoms could occur for many reasons, which could be related to having an abortion. The mothers could experience a whole other set of issues if they had kept the babies.