Jump to topic:

I'm running a beta carotene experiment.

llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 11:17:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've read a few studies which indicate that the coloration to skin from vegetables is healthier looking than that of a tan. Furthermore, tanning can be bad for your skin and leads to skin cancer.

So, wanting a tan, and to satisfy my scientific curiosity, I decided to give myself a ton of beta carotene. I'll be taking 45mg in the morning and another 30mg before bed. I'm not sure how long it will take but I figure 75mg ought to be enough to turn me into a oompa-loompa.

If it succeeds in turning me orange then I'll go a more natural route of drinking carrot juice three times a day. Last year, I tried to take the whole vegetable route to turn orange and I just could not eat enough carrots. Wish me luck. I don't want to die in the name of science. :-)
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 11:50:31 AM
At 7/22/2013 11:17:53 PM, llamainmypocket wrote:
I've read a few studies which indicate that the coloration to skin from vegetables is healthier looking than that of a tan. Furthermore, tanning can be bad for your skin and leads to skin cancer.

So, wanting a tan, and to satisfy my scientific curiosity, I decided to give myself a ton of beta carotene. I'll be taking 45mg in the morning and another 30mg before bed. I'm not sure how long it will take but I figure 75mg ought to be enough to turn me into a oompa-loompa.

If it succeeds in turning me orange then I'll go a more natural route of drinking carrot juice three times a day. Last year, I tried to take the whole vegetable route to turn orange and I just could not eat enough carrots. Wish me luck. I don't want to die in the name of science. :-)

Good luck. I heard that the WWII pilots used to dose up on the beta carotene to help with night vision when flying.
sasty525
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:09:23 AM

I have a cousin that when we were little kids parts of him would turn orange because he loved to eat carrots. I was just curious to find out, if you don't mind, how did your experiment turn out?
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 2:26:19 AM
I'm still working on it. According to the studies I've seen, diagnosis requires four weeks of exposure. I'm currently 2 " weeks in. I will keep you informed. But I suspect the full experiment may take a few months to truly be conclusive.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 11:57:57 AM
It may be that I'm changing color and it may be that I'm not. Two days ago, I changed my dosage from 75mg to 90mg. I'm taking 30 in the morning, 30 for lunch, and 30 for dinner. There is no certainty that the color change in my skin is not simply the result of a tan. However, underneath my shirt I believe i am less white than I should be.

I am continuing to run this experiment until I am undeniably orange. What I mean exactly is that those who don't believe that I can change color will concede that I have.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 1:25:11 PM
Furthermore, tanning can be bad for your skin
Tanning is bad under all circumstances -- except if you want temporary shield against sun rays. As soon as your skin becomes darker in color, it means it has been damaged. It goes back to its original colors once the cells renew, but the damage to DNA happens nonetheless.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 4:30:46 PM
I'm six weeks in. The lady in the nutrition section who I talked to the day I started my experiment said, "you are definitely turning orange. It looks like you've had a spray tan. You look very healthy." My coworkers are still skeptical but the skin under my shirt is almost as colored as my face. I've not taken my shirt off once in the sun in these six weeks.

Another few weeks and I may convert the supplement in taking for a mixture of vegetable juice to mimic the exact dosage and diversity of carotenoids. It will most likely be a mixture of carrot and tomato juice with a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil.

I intend to take this experiment by supplements until my coworkers don't deny my orange/red color.