Jump to topic:

Sugar

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 11:18:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I am in my fourth week of abstaining from sugar, and I wanted to share my experience and see if others have anything to share or have experience with diabetes. I do not have diabetes, but I do have a human-bio freak friend who gives me long lectures during our jogs about how sugar affects the cells in our body and how we are all ruining our bodies with the stuff... I have been consuming large amounts of raw sugar (mostly soda, candy, popsicles, ice-cream, and juice) for all 32 years of my life and I decided I wanted to quit last month and I also knew that if it wasn't cold-turkey then it wouldn't be anything. A wise-man once said: "I can partake, or I can abstain. But I cannot moderate."

My body is starting to change, and I now know how Native Americans were feeling when the white man brought them raw sugar. The only sugar I allow myself, other than fresh fruits and an occasional yogurt (or something very minimal) is when I go out drinking. On Sunday I had a couple cherry-bombs which were quite sweet. An hour later I was all of a sudden consumed with lethargy and hunger like I had never felt before; I could barely move and I got a voracious appetite out of nowhere. After a bag of pretzels I slowly regained my strength and was fine a half-hour later, but it was a remarkable experience. I never realized that a normal, healthy human body reacts so dramatically to a relatively small amount of pure sugar... In order to drink these soft-drinks and such that we consume so readily as Americans, we are really testing the tolerances of the pancreas and cells in our bodies!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 2:46:57 AM
Something's not right about that. I've done no sugar, no processed food diets successfully. The closest thing to your experience that I had was when I first started such a diet I shot to the moon on a bowl of potatoes and became lethargic 30 minutes later. The problem was that I was eating no fat calories.

Vegetables are for volume and it's the healthy fats that make it a meal. Avocado, coconut, olives&olive oil, nuts, and yogurt. This also leads to things like pesto, hummus, and nut butters. I'd aim for 30%-50% of your calories coming from fat and don't eat anything without it.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:20:29 PM
At 7/24/2013 2:46:57 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
Something's not right about that. I've done no sugar, no processed food diets successfully. The closest thing to your experience that I had was when I first started such a diet I shot to the moon on a bowl of potatoes and became lethargic 30 minutes later. The problem was that I was eating no fat calories.

Vegetables are for volume and it's the healthy fats that make it a meal. Avocado, coconut, olives&olive oil, nuts, and yogurt. This also leads to things like pesto, hummus, and nut butters. I'd aim for 30%-50% of your calories coming from fat and don't eat anything without it.

I've never considered adjusting for fat. I am going to start looking at what I eat from that perspective and take note... I can't even say I know much about how much fat is in the foods I eat!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 10:32:49 PM
I'm pre-diabetic or close to pre-diabetic. Unfortunately, even though I used to do really well with reducing carbohydrates, I've really fallen off the wagon on it for the past couple months.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 4:21:34 AM
Fats are very important. Some vitamins aren't even water soluble so for your body to even use them, you need fat. Fat also break down very slowly so you can mix it with foods that break down very quickly and reach a medium to staying full.

If it comes down to it then I'll pour olive oil over a salad just to get my fat intake high enough. With enough fat that salad will have the staying power of a hamburger. A typical salad for me is olives, olive oil, nuts, little cheese mixed with green, red, yellow, and orange vegetables. Diversity in color generally means diversity in vitamins.

Congratulations on eating healthy. One thing that's helped me in the past is not taking it too seriously. If you need to cheat then just cheat.

Sometimes ranch dressing is good if it can lead to enjoying a new vegetable.

Don't deny yourself from eating out with family. If you're doing it right then it will be the right food that you want.

Good luck!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:09:20 AM
At 7/24/2013 10:32:49 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm pre-diabetic or close to pre-diabetic. Unfortunately, even though I used to do really well with reducing carbohydrates, I've really fallen off the wagon on it for the past couple months.

"...but I cannot moderate."

It's hard to try and do it half-way, because you're always going to be subject to your whims at the moment. "Comfort food" is always going to throw you overboard when you are weak. The only way I can do it is to completely remove sweets from my diet. I work in a bakery; I'm constantly surrounded by sweets everywhere. It's ridiculous, really. The worst are soft drinks and juices. I still get sugar cravings and I'm not sure they will ever go away, but I'm not giving in!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:13:09 AM
At 7/25/2013 4:21:34 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
Fats are very important. Some vitamins aren't even water soluble so for your body to even use them, you need fat. Fat also break down very slowly so you can mix it with foods that break down very quickly and reach a medium to staying full.

If it comes down to it then I'll pour olive oil over a salad just to get my fat intake high enough. With enough fat that salad will have the staying power of a hamburger. A typical salad for me is olives, olive oil, nuts, little cheese mixed with green, red, yellow, and orange vegetables. Diversity in color generally means diversity in vitamins.

Congratulations on eating healthy. One thing that's helped me in the past is not taking it too seriously. If you need to cheat then just cheat.

Sometimes ranch dressing is good if it can lead to enjoying a new vegetable.

Don't deny yourself from eating out with family. If you're doing it right then it will be the right food that you want.

Good luck!

Very good tips! I just ate pasta and tomato sauce, now I realize I should have mixed some olive oil in there because there was only a gram or two of fat in it. Popular belief is that fats are bad (that's why they warn you about it on the label, isn't it?) so I've never thought about them as good. I suppose that only people who are eating right have to actually try and add the fats in LOL!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
dingdongdawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 1:26:34 AM
Well, the most important thing is to never study. Just read new paper articles that are written to a third grade level and focused on making money and gossip a lot with people that you know.

NO research on the actual body/brain/food ever did any one any good.

Seriously, it is not that tough to do actual research and/or take actual classes
Pictty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 12:29:16 AM
I believe sugar is like cocaine for the body. Is make you feel good for a little bit of time and them you want more and more! Sugar also make you tired and cranky. The problem with the process sugar is the chemicals. If you eat your sugar in fruit and vegetables you are giving to your body the right things. I eat vegetable and fruit for 15 day and I was sick for 3 days after that first days are gone I was more energetic, no depress ( I stop taking the anti-depressing pill) I was in a good mood, clear mind etc.. I recently come back from vacation and eat chemical food of course! And I clearly can feel the difference. I going to start my healthy choices tomorrow! What I should wait right?..
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 11:44:32 PM
Well, the only thing important is what you believe about food
because that, alone, will get you a job as a nutritionist.

Yah, just walk in and say, "I believe this about food"

and they will hire you right away because belief is all you need for food and health