Jump to topic:

Athletes

wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:42:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you think athletes are positive role models in anyway?
I'm writing an oral about this topic and I could use your opinions. I know that there are a countless number of sports stars out there who do disgraceful things. But they also model strength, determination, perserverance and outstanding skills. Some people might argue that athletes are still good role models in their area of sports but not in daily life situations. But then there are athletes who go to schools and educate kids about drugs and healthy living. And really, shouldn't it be up to parents to teach encourage aspirations to be as fast a runner as their favourite Olympian, but to also seperate the athletes personal life with their professional? And let's not get in to the media drinking up every single offense athletes commit.
The point is I think both sides are fairly good argument and it makes things difficult when you have to write a persuasive oral. Opinions?Advice?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 9:06:42 PM
Athletes are the epitome of humanity - our brains and bodies are designed, first and foremost, for athleticism. Hunting requires lots of running, throwing, etc., farming requires lots of human power as well... Those with bodies and minds that are very strong become athletic, and we hold these men and women in high regard naturally.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 4:51:16 PM
At 7/26/2013 9:06:42 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Athletes are the epitome of humanity - our brains and bodies are designed, first and foremost, for athleticism. Hunting requires lots of running, throwing, etc., farming requires lots of human power as well... Those with bodies and minds that are very strong become athletic, and we hold these men and women in high regard naturally.

Thanks!
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 2:07:15 PM
At 7/26/2013 9:06:42 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Do you believe that athleticism requires a stronger mind than intellectualism or art?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus