Jump to topic:

Super Size Me

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 12:48:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've watched it twice now in Health class. Anyhow, is there scientific legitimacy to the result?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 12:52:09 PM
Of course there is. Eat fast food for every meal and you get fat lol its not really a hard concept.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 12:53:56 PM
At 12/12/2009 12:52:09 PM, johngriswald wrote:
Of course there is. Eat fast food for every meal and you get fat lol its not really a hard concept.

Right, but is the message behind it (I.e. the Greedy corporation) real or just Liberal pr0paganda.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 12:59:33 PM
At 12/12/2009 12:53:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Right, but is the message behind it (I.e. the Greedy corporation) real or just Liberal pr0paganda.

No, McDonalds is not responsible for fatties going to McDonalds everyday, if that's what you are implying.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:20:23 PM

I thought you'd be an expert on liberal propaganda ...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:22:34 PM
At 12/12/2009 12:59:33 PM, Nags wrote:

No, McDonalds is not responsible for fatties going to McDonalds everyday, if that's what you are implying.

Obviously, but the film questioned is there a line where you can't go without something due to addiction.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:22:51 PM
At 12/12/2009 1:20:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

No, The One is, for he is infallible.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:26:05 PM
At 12/12/2009 1:22:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/12/2009 1:20:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

No, The One is, for he is infallible.

Very true ;) Anyway, I also saw the movie in health class. I'm a bit skeptical of the movie in its entirety, but it may have some science involved with the routine appointments and calculations of fats and such.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:26:11 PM
At 12/12/2009 1:22:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Obviously, but the film questioned is there a line where you can't go without something due to addiction.

Well, duh. That's the definition of addiction - absolutely needing and craving something. Which is true for an addiction of anything.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:26:41 PM
At 12/12/2009 12:48:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I've watched it twice now in Health class. Anyhow, is there scientific legitimacy to the result?

Sure, but really I don't like the documentary very well mainly because of how they handled the scientific experiment that was the focus of the movie. Too many flaws and incorrect variables.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:59:27 AM

Yes and no really.
Corporations are pretty much out to make money, McDonalds does, or has, targeted children for advertising, McDonalds would like you to eat their food as often as possible, McDonalds would like to mention the nutrition value of most of their range as little as possible, McDonalds knows that it's food is junk food.

But for the love of God you can decide for yourself whether to eat it, can't you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 2:00:55 AM
At 12/12/2009 1:26:41 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Sure, but really I don't like the documentary very well mainly because of how they handled the scientific experiment that was the focus of the movie. Too many flaws and incorrect variables.

Also he won't publish his food log, which does rather invalidate the science.

But we know what such a diet would do to us.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:13:19 AM
I agree with the earlier posts that suggest that people should take personal responsibility for their weight rather than blame other factors such as cynical fast food chains.

Of course outfits like McDonald's are out to make money, that's what companies do, but you can choose whether or not to buy greasy hamburgers just like you can choose whether or not to buy a bottle of vodka and a pack of cigarettes instead of spending the money on a session at the gym.

But isn't that always the way with the fat? It's never their fault they are overweight. Have you ever met a salad-dodger who has admitted that they are obese because they are greedy and lazy?

No, it's always "a genetic predisposition" or "a thyroid problem". Yeah, right, so the vast quantities of pizzas, burgers, fried chicken and cakes they shovel down their oversized gullets every day has nothing to do with it and neither has the fact that they never do any exercise?

Funny how few people you see in African refugee camps or in South Asian shanty towns who are "genetically predisposed" to being fat though, isn't it?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 9:40:54 AM
At 12/12/2009 1:22:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Will power some have it some don't
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 9:44:54 AM
sig update

ddofans.com
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 10:15:17 AM
At 12/13/2009 5:13:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Funny how few people you see in African refugee camps or in South Asian shanty towns who are "genetically predisposed" to being fat though, isn't it?

It's a hard life being white, we get all the bad breaks.
raindrpdew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 12:18:42 PM

dood! that was me and my dad's movie on friday nights!! :]
sometimes i wish..i had a kung-fu grip..

-Nick Jonas
RacH3ll3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 8:58:33 AM
McDonalds! (:

I work at McDonalds, and I eat there at least three times a day...and I haven't gained any weight.

But really, Fast food isn't addicting, you just get a craving for it, some more than others.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 9:53:41 AM
Supersize Me is pretty much comparable to anything done by Michael Moore-- it's for the entertainment value. The main goal has very little to do with bringing anyone the objective truth.

Fast food addictions are for fat people in denial. Like, I'm overweight and whatnot, but I certainly wouldn't dream of holding McDonald's responsible for my fat a$$. Mind you, I actually don't eat fast food (trying to get healthy and all), but that just goes to show that, after 15 years of a single mom feeding us what she could in between two jobs (i.e. fast food), I was still able to figure it the heck out and start cooking for the family.
brooke_bowen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 6:19:25 PM

lmao so true
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...

I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 4:02:38 PM
I think Supersize Me is bogus. The man was used to eating home-cooked meals for his entire life, and suddenly he's eating these big-a$$ meals, of course he's going to gain weight. A large fry alone takes up an entire large plate in my house, and I never fill my plate when I eat at home. And how many people really order a double-quarter pounder with cheese and "supersized" fries (we don't have "supersize" in Canada) and a large chocolate shake or its equivalent 3 times a day? It's a great scare tactic for fat kids though. Obesity in the U.S. is ridic.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 4:05:58 PM
At 12/13/2009 5:13:19 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I agree with the earlier posts that suggest that people should take personal responsibility for their weight rather than blame other factors such as cynical fast food chains.

Of course outfits like McDonald's are out to make money, that's what companies do, but you can choose whether or not to buy greasy hamburgers just like you can choose whether or not to buy a bottle of vodka and a pack of cigarettes instead of spending the money on a session at the gym.

But isn't that always the way with the fat? It's never their fault they are overweight. Have you ever met a salad-dodger who has admitted that they are obese because they are greedy and lazy?

No, it's always "a genetic predisposition" or "a thyroid problem". Yeah, right, so the vast quantities of pizzas, burgers, fried chicken and cakes they shovel down their oversized gullets every day has nothing to do with it and neither has the fact that they never do any exercise?

My favourite is "I don't even eat a lot". They forget to add "...when other people are around" because they definitely eat more than your average person when they think nobody is watching.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 5:46:48 PM

Did he exercise?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:32:17 PM
At 3/13/2010 5:46:48 PM, Immortal wrote:

Did he exercise?

He allowed himself about 8,000 steps a day, the average steps by an American.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 10:26:36 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:32:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/13/2010 5:46:48 PM, Immortal wrote:

Did he exercise?

He allowed himself about 8,000 steps a day, the average steps by an American.

o.o

thats sad.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...