Jump to topic:

Is there a doctor in the house?

rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:54:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just like we get AIDS because this HIV virus... and Stomach ache for various reasons... Why does one get common cold and a runny nose?
Only cool guys can see this....
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 12:50:53 PM
I don't get the question. The common cold is a virus. You get a cold because you come into contact with the virus and your body fights it off. A snotty, stuffed up nose, is part of your bodies defense by filtering the air you breath.

I think if you Google nasal air filters and understand that the body defends itself. then it only make sense when you've contracted a cold virus, that you get a runny nose. This also occurs with allergies for the same reason.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 6:44:43 PM
Just like AIDS is caused by HIV, the common cold is called by a class of viruses called rhinoviruses (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

The virus causes your mucus membranes to secrete large amounts of mucus because this is an effective means of transmission for the virus, not because it is your body's "defense," as some others have suggested.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 8:27:50 PM
At 8/31/2013 6:54:57 AM, rajun wrote:
Just like we get AIDS because this HIV virus... and Stomach ache for various reasons... Why does one get common cold and a runny nose?

The common cold is caused by one of hundreds of rhinoviruses. Runny noses are a symptom of various things.
doktorbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 9:39:51 PM
I actually am a family physician. For the most part, this thread is spot-on. However, there are some minor points I'd like to correct.

1) Several different viruses can cause the "common cold." One of them is Rhinovirus, but another is Coronavirus and its cousins. Other conditions that can mimic the "common cold" are allergic rhinitis and bacterial sinusitis, both of which have very similar symptoms early on in their course.

2) HIV does cause AIDS, but AIDS is actually just a category of HIV infection that has to do with a certain CD4 count and/or the presence of what we call "AIDS defining lesions." These are diseases that are caused by pathogens that are normally so weak that our immune systems can usually fight them off easily but that are able to flourish in someone whose immune system is sufficiently weakened.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. :)