Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 10:26:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe that Autism as well as certain other neurotypes are differences and NOT disorders. I love being who I am, and the fundamental hard-wiring of my brain, which makes me who I am, is Autistic. What it all comes down to is expanding the definition of what it means to be human.

We are happy to be Autistic. We want to be Autistic, and we love being Autistic. We don't want our behaviors modified and "mainstreamed," we don't want to be forced into learning how to be Neurotypical, nor do we want a cure. Nor do we want to be hurt, teased, and bullied. If we choose to be social, we want to be accepted for who we are. We shouldn't have to change just to avoid being bullied. We just want to be ourselves. We want to be free. We want to do as we like, stim, engage in our special interests, and be happy. We want to exist, and we want to act like ourselves as Autistic individuals, without our behaviors being regarded as concerning "symptoms" that must be eliminated or curbed or lessened. We don't want Neurotypicals and psychiatrists to create a need in us for us to want to be "normal," when we were completely satisfied with ourselves before. This is our world too, and we have a right to exist as we are within it.

Autism is a good thing. And if not a good thing, then it is at the very least a neutral thing. It's definitely NOT a tragedy. We have to let it be known that our existence is not a tragedy by doing everything in our power to not be ignored. This has the potential to become a MAJOR civil rights issue. There was black civil rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, and now the Neurodiversity movement, accepting different brains. We are not disordered, we are a different kind of order. This is of MONUMENTAL importance and we can't just let something like this slip by. This civil rights movement must exist. It is a moral imperative to our kind, our neurotype(s).

Some want to "cure" us, and that is eugenics. Eugenocide. Or else they want our behaviors modified to the point where we are indistinguishable from Allistics, meaning non-Autistics. I like my brain as it is, and so do plenty of other Autistics. Neurodiversity movement/Autistic rights movement needs more attention brought to it. It is a movement created BY Autistics, FOR Autistics. Autistic self-advocates and activists work tirelessly for Autism Acceptance. We see Autism as natural variation. There is no "wrong" or "disordered" experience. We are who we are, and we are fine being that way.