Jump to topic:

Panic attacks

NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 9:37:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Im currently having a small one. I'v had some crazy ones though and so has my mother. Has anyone here ever had any crazy experiences of panic attacks? I remember one night my father woke me up to go help him get my mother back into bed. She was walking around in the meadow around our house in her dressing gown with her hands pressed to her eyes and when I took her hand from her eye to lead her back in home she started gasping and freaked out saying she couldn't breath. She was grand again though after a while but its weird like. One night I was certain something like the bug thing the agents put in Neo had gotten into me. Sounds funny doesn't it? I even find it funny myself thinking back, but I was nearly in tears at the time. This ones not that bad. Writing this helped.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 9:44:56 PM
At 12/20/2009 9:37:16 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
Im currently having a small one. I'v had some crazy ones though and so has my mother. Has anyone here ever had any crazy experiences of panic attacks? I remember one night my father woke me up to go help him get my mother back into bed. She was walking around in the meadow around our house in her dressing gown with her hands pressed to her eyes and when I took her hand from her eye to lead her back in home she started gasping and freaked out saying she couldn't breath. She was grand again though after a while but its weird like. One night I was certain something like the bug thing the agents put in Neo had gotten into me. Sounds funny doesn't it? I even find it funny myself thinking back, but I was nearly in tears at the time. This ones not that bad. Writing this helped.

You're such a little girl. I'm going to bed.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 10:25:17 PM
At 12/20/2009 9:44:56 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

You're such a little girl. I'm going to bed.

LOL @ schizophrenia.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 3:40:18 AM

I've known some great people who've basically been crippled by panic/anxiety attacks, often out of nowhere.

Sorry you have to deal with that. Good luck with it.

Don't abuse the prescriptions.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 6:31:21 AM
lol wut
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:42:18 AM
I have/had Panic Disorder also (recurring attacks). At its worst I would have several per day and it was difficult to attend class or go out to any place that was not "safe". Mind over matter. I was able to conquer it by changing my own behavior and thought processes. I've gotten to the point where I can stop them before or just after they have started.

It takes a strong will and the ability to fight your body's natural response with your thoughts.

Someone mentioned drugs. You can certainly take that route, but you have to work on your behavior and your mind at the same time or when you stop taking them you will be back at square one. So if you wanted treatment you should either change your own behavior or go to a Behavioral Psychologist who specializes in panic disorder. If you choose to go the drug route then do both drugs and therapy. Drugs themselves only mask the symptoms until you stop taking them. You have to address the core issues.

Don't beat yourself up over it either; or for posting about it. That kind of thinking won't help.

Good Luck.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:48:58 AM
I know a few people who have them... One of my friends can't go out anywhere in public; she has to stay indoors (at home) all the time or she gets anxious. Going to Starbucks is like a huge deal for her, and forget about school or work. Luckily, a lot of her friends make accommodations and go visit her at her place. I know I did when I was still in NY. It's tough to watch though because sometimes you just wanna be like, "Come on! Get up! Seriously! Get the hell over it and go outside!" It's tough to understand if you're not the one experiencing it.

Also, my ex used to have "anxiety attacks" and started taking Xanax for them. I think she's just kind of messed up in general, and her attacks would happen because she couldn't reign in her temper and would get overly emotional in the slightest of stressful situations (like if we got into a little argument... lol but we got into big arguments, almost every day). I agree that if you ARE taking meds, you should be really careful and frugal with them. I mean I'm as liberal on the drug issue as they come, but substance abuse (which it can easily turn into with that kind of medicine) is NOT cool.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:52:28 AM
My freshmen roommate use to have them every other night after he best friend did in a car accident. It was pretty scary talking her out of them. Poor thing, she has them only once in a while now. Smoking pot actually helps her relax and keeps them at bay.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:54:47 AM
At 12/21/2009 7:42:18 AM, JBlake wrote:
I have/had Panic Disorder also (recurring attacks). At its worst I would have several per day and it was difficult to attend class or go out to any place that was not "safe". Mind over matter. I was able to conquer it by changing my own behavior and thought processes. I've gotten to the point where I can stop them before or just after they have started.

It takes a strong will and the ability to fight your body's natural response with your thoughts.

Someone mentioned drugs. You can certainly take that route, but you have to work on your behavior and your mind at the same time or when you stop taking them you will be back at square one. So if you wanted treatment you should either change your own behavior or go to a Behavioral Psychologist who specializes in panic disorder. If you choose to go the drug route then do both drugs and therapy. Drugs themselves only mask the symptoms until you stop taking them. You have to address the core issues.

Don't beat yourself up over it either; or for posting about it. That kind of thinking won't help.

Good Luck.

Drugs + Therapy is always your best option. Doing only one or the other doesn't give you the best results. But, if you take drugs, you MUST do therapy - and if you do therapy, you should have drugs as a crutch to help you along the way. Most people can't fight themselves, unfortunately :/ You're lucky.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 8:09:50 AM
I used to get mini panic attacks whenever I had huge assignments or exams. I had a really intense one before my English exam. I started shaking, crying, hugging myself in a corner, unable to breathe, feeling really hot, sweating, and then walking in circles for minutes. I don't get them anymore - I'm not putting as much stress on myself anymore.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 8:53:12 AM
I suffer from mild anxiety attacks, although usually only in the morning if I have to get up especially early for work or a flight.

They don't last long and all that happens is that I feel extremely nauseous. I take beta-blockers to keep them in check.

Ironically, however, I'm not a nervous or timid person by nature and I am usually the most calm and collected person in an emergency or crisis.

Anxiety is related to clinical depression which I have bouts of for no apparent reason, although I didn't get them before I was married and I get fewer of them now we have split up!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 4:51:37 PM
I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently and lately I've had these bad ones that occur as I'm waking up, or while I'm asleep and I feel as though I cannot breathe.

They're less frequent now; but now they're mostly the half - asleep ones which suck. Has anyone else experienced one while they were asleep/were waking up?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 4:54:34 PM
At 12/21/2009 4:51:37 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently and lately I've had these bad ones that occur as I'm waking up, or while I'm asleep and I feel as though I cannot breathe.

They're less frequent now; but now they're mostly the half - asleep ones which suck. Has anyone else experienced one while they were asleep/were waking up?

I get them all of the time.
Since afgan and seeing one of my friends die in my arms. We were both medics and now i have panic attacks.
I could not save him. He had 2 babies and a wife.

I tried my hardest, but it was not good enough.

Now i am ridden with panic attacks.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:02:41 PM

Those are the bad ones. I get minor ones during the daytime that I can usually talk myself through and find funny towards the end of them, but those ones are horrible. I hallucinate when I get them coming out of sleep and usually come to my senses in tears. I always get the not being able breath feeling with those ones too. I haven't got one like that in years though.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:03:45 PM
At 12/21/2009 4:54:34 PM, comoncents wrote:

Since afgan and seeing one of my friends die in my arms. We were both medics and now i have panic attacks.

Thats tough man.
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:30:21 AM
At 12/21/2009 7:02:41 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Those are the bad ones. I get minor ones during the daytime that I can usually talk myself through and find funny towards the end of them, but those ones are horrible. I hallucinate when I get them coming out of sleep and usually come to my senses in tears. I always get the not being able breath feeling with those ones too. I haven't got one like that in years though.

Yeah the asleep, or just waking up ones are the worst I've had.

Comoncents - I'm really sorry.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:48:35 AM
At 12/21/2009 4:54:34 PM, comoncents wrote:

oh man :(
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 12:01:53 PM
Damn comon that's rough, you have my sympathy.

Those of you who have panic attacks when waking up, it sounds to me like that could possibly be connected to sleep-paralysis? http://en.wikipedia.org... My ex gets this quite a lot.

I'm pretty calm nearly all the time (I think) but I've experienced what I assume were panic attacks a couple of times. Once when I took cocaine for the first time aged 16 and once more recently when I freaked out during minor surgery.

I never consciously feel nervous or anxious performing but very occasionally I get some physical symptoms such as shakes and hot flushes which is a bit weird.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:13:26 PM
At 12/22/2009 11:30:21 AM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 12/21/2009 7:02:41 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Yeah the asleep, or just waking up ones are the worst I've had.

Comoncents - I'm really sorry.

It is all good.
It was 3 years ago, and i walked away with not being able to sleep and a few panic attacks.
I still have my family.

I have a lot of friends that have died, some in action and some committed suicide.

I enjoyed medicine before the army, now i can not go near it.
So i am in to politics, law, and cooking.
All good.