Jump to topic:

Slower metabolism, plz

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 8:04:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hear a lot about various ways to speed up your metabolism, but is there any way to slow it down? Because I swear to god, i eat like i run marathons on my way to work every day just so that my stomach isn't growling. I'm not heavy, either - I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds. I eat healthy things, so it's not like I'm always hungry because I never have actual nutrition. So wtf is going on here?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 9:09:16 PM
At 9/29/2013 8:04:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I hear a lot about various ways to speed up your metabolism, but is there any way to slow it down? Because I swear to god, i eat like i run marathons on my way to work every day just so that my stomach isn't growling. I'm not heavy, either - I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds. I eat healthy things, so it's not like I'm always hungry because I never have actual nutrition. So wtf is going on here?

Remove your thyroid.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 9:43:58 PM
At 9/29/2013 9:09:16 PM, drafterman wrote:

Remove your thyroid.

Not a bad idea, but that might get a bit messy. I just cleaned, darnit :(

That's what's causing this, though?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 8:49:35 AM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight. If that is a problem, Google hyperthyroidism. There are cases where the thyroid over produces a hormone that regulates metabolism at the cellular level.

If not having problem maintaining a good weight, enjoy it while you can. It should naturally slow down in about 10 years.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 10:52:15 PM
At 10/1/2013 8:49:35 AM, slo1 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight. If that is a problem, Google hyperthyroidism. There are cases where the thyroid over produces a hormone that regulates metabolism at the cellular level.

If not having problem maintaining a good weight, enjoy it while you can. It should naturally slow down in about 10 years.

I seem to be ok with maintaining a healthy weight, it's on the lower side of the normal range but who cares. My problem is with the price of food! Yes, I eat a fair amount of fast food... But with my metabolism and schedule, there's no way I have time to go home and cook every time I want to eat.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2013 6:46:02 AM
At 10/4/2013 10:52:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I seem to be ok with maintaining a healthy weight, it's on the lower side of the normal range but who cares. My problem is with the price of food! Yes, I eat a fair amount of fast food... But with my metabolism and schedule, there's no way I have time to go home and cook every time I want to eat.

I have a similar problem. I have to eat a lot, otherwise my brain stops working and I feel like I'm drunk or something.

Fast food isn't the answer though. You're better off following this plan:

Breakfast - Cornflakes and toast. Cheap, and gives you lots of carbohydrates.

Lunch - Take a loaf of bread, some spread and a knife with you to work. Every time you feel hungry, make yourself a sandwich. It's cheaper and faster than buying food while you're out, and fills you up pretty quickly.

Dinner - Tinned food. Come home, drop your bag, open a tin of baked beans or something and stick it in the microwave. Add some frozen vegetables as well. Should take about 5 minutes, tops. For dessert, tinned fruit. Contrary to what you often hear, tinned fruit has the same nutritional content as fresh fruit, it just has more sugar in it. You'll probably burn that sugar fairly quickly.

Buy home brands at the supermarket, as they're usually cheaper and taste the same once you've gotten over your food prejudices. Meat is always going to be expensive, so try to eat that once a week at the most. It's okay to eat out occasionally, but never more than once a week and always get the cheapest item on the menu.

Work Out - I do 40 push-ups, morning and night, always take the stairs instead of the elevator, and try to walk to my destination whenever possible. Exercising builds muscle and stops you from turning all that food into fat (don't be fooled by your weight, you're still storing fat). It also means you won't feel like a pig if you have a huge meal.

Drink Water - Our cells work best in an aqueous environment, so keep hydrated.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2013 10:58:32 AM
At 10/5/2013 6:46:02 AM, Jack212 wrote:
I have a similar problem. I have to eat a lot, otherwise my brain stops working and I feel like I'm drunk or something.

That's never fun. Me, I'll just eat a huge, healthy meal with lots of nutrition and then an hour later i'll be starving again. It's fvcking ridiculous.

Fast food isn't the answer though. You're better off following this plan:

Breakfast - Cornflakes and toast. Cheap, and gives you lots of carbohydrates.

I usually go with fruit or a breakfast sandwich, much easier to eat things that don't require dishes, so i can eat it while waiting for my bus in the morning. Cornflakes are awesome though :D

Lunch - Take a loaf of bread, some spread and a knife with you to work. Every time you feel hungry, make yourself a sandwich. It's cheaper and faster than buying food while you're out, and fills you up pretty quickly.

Now, that, is a great idea. I get so bored eating the same thing all the time though :( So when i leave in the morning I usually stock up my backpack with a ton of non-perishable food that i can eat between classes or at work. I swear it has more food than books in there...

Dinner - Tinned food. Come home, drop your bag, open a tin of baked beans or something and stick it in the microwave. Add some frozen vegetables as well. Should take about 5 minutes, tops. For dessert, tinned fruit. Contrary to what you often hear, tinned fruit has the same nutritional content as fresh fruit, it just has more sugar in it. You'll probably burn that sugar fairly quickly.

My favourite thing to do is canned vegetable soup with some precooked rice thrown in. Filling, nutritious, and tastes awesome. Recipe is pretty simple, it's about a 2:1 ratio of soup to cooked rice. Just heat it up for a few minutes, and there ya go.

Buy home brands at the supermarket, as they're usually cheaper and taste the same once you've gotten over your food prejudices. Meat is always going to be expensive, so try to eat that once a week at the most. It's okay to eat out occasionally, but never more than once a week and always get the cheapest item on the menu.

Haha, I shop at Aldi, they don't even have name brands most of the time. And being a vegetarian probably helps my grocery bill :p Usually when I eat out, I go for the thing on the menu that I'll enjoy the most, if i'm paying more than i should anyway, i may as well make it worthwhile.

Work Out - I do 40 push-ups, morning and night, always take the stairs instead of the elevator, and try to walk to my destination whenever possible. Exercising builds muscle and stops you from turning all that food into fat (don't be fooled by your weight, you're still storing fat). It also means you won't feel like a pig if you have a huge meal.

I'm the same way, but without the pushups. I just walk almost everywhere. I have no car and the bus routes kinda suck :p

Drink Water - Our cells work best in an aqueous environment, so keep hydrated.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2013 6:13:52 PM

Omg, no kidding.

You will be fat in no time, worry not.

Lol, I'm kidding.

But, seriously, why worry? I mean, your weight sound perfectly fine, so simply enjoy eating. I sure do, and Lord knows it has become a serious nuisance that my body actually exhibits how much I eat, and what proportion of it is fat and sugar.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 10:12:13 AM
At 10/6/2013 10:54:46 AM, Bullish wrote:
Drink lots of water every time before you eat.

But... That's for if you want to lose weight...

Seriously, if i cut back on food, i'd have a problem.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 6:30:14 PM
Short answer: See a doctor.

Long answer: See a doctor, because there are several things that may be contributing to your "fast metabolism". To use myself as an example: I still have a fast metabolism, but I don't have to eat as much now that I know the eating bread makes things worse in terms of calories. A doc can do the tests necessary: Could be thyroid, could be a few other things. Heck, it's conceivable you have a tapeworm--all of these things can be checked by a doc.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 6:02:40 PM
At 10/7/2013 6:30:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Short answer: See a doctor.

Long answer: See a doctor, because there are several things that may be contributing to your "fast metabolism". To use myself as an example: I still have a fast metabolism, but I don't have to eat as much now that I know the eating bread makes things worse in terms of calories. A doc can do the tests necessary: Could be thyroid, could be a few other things. Heck, it's conceivable you have a tapeworm--all of these things can be checked by a doc.

Maybe it would be a good idea to go to a doctor...
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 7:49:04 PM

Fat, protein, and fiber are more filling and harder to digest than simple carbohydrates.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 8:30:53 PM
At 10/8/2013 7:49:04 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Fat, protein, and fiber are more filling and harder to digest than simple carbohydrates.

Trust me, I have a lot of all of those, simple carbs included. It doesn't seem like it's anything to do with what I eat, it's just that I need to eat so much that gets annoying.