Jump to topic:

Dizzyness.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 10:51:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm taking Codeine, and I'm feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Is there any way to reduce these affects?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 10:51:58 PM
*effects
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:09:52 PM
At 10/1/2013 10:51:20 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I'm taking Codeine, and I'm feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Is there any way to reduce these effects?

Well, first things first: you should talk to your doctor. Second thing's second: Have you had similar effects from opiates in the past? But of course hopefully you already are planning on this. Codeine can also cause nausea...hopefully you aren't experiencing that, too.

Anyway, it's probably causing dizziness due to hypotension. No real way to prevent that, but you can try several things and see if they at least help.

Drink more water. The extra fluid might help keep your BP up. Increase your salt intake (although there's some debate on whether that has a real effect, it's at least worth trying).

Basically: eat more junk food. Fatty, salty food, and drink tons of water...and even more caffeine.

But that does presume that it is hypotension and something else, which is why you should get checked by your doc.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:42:33 PM
At 10/1/2013 11:09:52 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I'm taking Codeine, and I'm feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Is there any way to reduce these effects?

Well, first things first: you should talk to your doctor.

Yeah, I have an appointment tomorrow.

Second thing's second: Have you had similar effects from opiates in the past?

I can't clearly remember, but I think that I did feel the same way when I took codeine for my pertussis a few years ago.

But of course hopefully you already are planning on this. Codeine can also cause :nausea...hopefully you aren't experiencing that, too.

Very slightly. Nothing too bad.

Anyway, it's probably causing dizziness due to hypotension. No real way to prevent that, but you can try several things and see if they at least help.

Drink more water. The extra fluid might help keep your BP up. Increase your salt intake (although there's some debate on whether that has a real effect, it's at least worth trying).

Basically: eat more junk food. Fatty, salty food, and drink tons of water...and even more caffeine.

But that does presume that it is hypotension and something else, which is why you should get checked by your doc.

Thanks for the advice. I have a really bad cough at the moment and the codeine really helps. The side-effects suck, though.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:47:40 PM
At 10/1/2013 11:42:33 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I have a really bad cough at the moment and the codeine really helps. The side-effects suck, though.

If that's what you're taking it for, I'm a lot more confident on the "drink more water should help" side of things--you're probably dehydrated from bein' sick.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 10:27:15 PM
At 10/1/2013 11:47:40 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I have a really bad cough at the moment and the codeine really helps. The side-effects suck, though.

If that's what you're taking it for, I'm a lot more confident on the "drink more water should help" side of things--you're probably dehydrated from bein' sick.

This, all of this. Drink an entire lake if you don't mind the fish poop in it, water is important when you're sick, and especially so if you're sick and hypotensive. But seriously, just go get a glass of fish-poop-free water.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 10:38:05 PM
At 10/4/2013 10:27:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

This, all of this. Drink an entire lake if you don't mind the fish poop in it, water is important when you're sick, and especially so if you're sick and hypotensive.

Uh... I think I'll stick with my San Pellegrino, thanks :P
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 10:40:45 PM
At 10/4/2013 10:38:05 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/4/2013 10:27:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

This, all of this. Drink an entire lake if you don't mind the fish poop in it, water is important when you're sick, and especially so if you're sick and hypotensive.

Uh... I think I'll stick with my San Pellegrino, thanks :P

But, just think of the added flavour in the lake... Tastes nothing like whatever that is :p
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 10:59:54 PM
Some people don't react well to codiene (dizzyness and nausea are common complaints) so a lower dosage or a different medication altogether are often needed. For cough and cold symptoms, Promethazine with codeine is often prescribed (though I'm not sure if this is actually what you are taking) and a decent number of people have those issues with it.

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor. They can prescribe something else, or more importantly, let you know if there is a bigger problem like a drug interaction (Prometh shouldn't be taken with MAOIs for example) or allergy issues.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 11:58:01 PM
At 10/4/2013 10:59:54 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Some people don't react well to codiene (dizzyness and nausea are common complaints) so a lower dosage or a different medication altogether are often needed. For cough and cold symptoms, Promethazine with codeine is often prescribed (though I'm not sure if this is actually what you are taking) and a decent number of people have those issues with it.

It's cheratussin AC, so just guaifenesin and codeine.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2013 12:40:53 AM
At 10/4/2013 11:58:01 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/4/2013 10:59:54 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's cheratussin AC, so just guaifenesin and codeine.

Ah, guaifenesin, pseudoephedrine's less effective and less fun cousin.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 1:16:02 PM
I'm taking Codeine, and I'm feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Is there any way to reduce these affects?

Codeine is actually a derivative of heroin.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 1:17:26 PM
At 11/18/2013 1:16:22 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I can't keep up!

That is why people take heroin... so that they are no longer concerned with the problems of keeping up with others.
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 4:00:04 PM
At 11/18/2013 1:16:02 PM, YYW wrote:

Is it? I thought that heroin was made from morphine, which, like codeine, comes from opium.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 4:03:09 PM
At 11/18/2013 4:00:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Is it? I thought that heroin was made from morphine, which, like codeine, comes from opium.

Heroin is an opiate...
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 4:13:05 PM
At 11/18/2013 4:03:09 PM, YYW wrote:

Heroin is an opiate...

Heroin is an opioid. An opiate comes directly from opium, while an opioid is something that resembles morphine or other opiates, not necessarily derived from opium, such as synthetic substances.

"The chemical analysis of opium in the 19th century revealed that most of its activity could be ascribed to two alkaloids, codeine and morphine.

Diacetylmorphine was first synthesized in 1874 by C. R. Alder Wright, an English chemist working at St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London. He had been experimenting with combining morphine with various acids. He boiled anhydrous morphine alkaloid with acetic anhydride for several hours and produced a more potent, acetylated form of morphine, now called diacetylmorphine or morphine diacetate. The compound was sent to F. M. Pierce of Owens College in Manchester for analysis."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 4:17:23 PM
At 11/18/2013 4:13:05 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/18/2013 4:03:09 PM, YYW wrote:

Heroin is an opiate...

Heroin is an opioid. An opiate comes directly from opium, while an opioid is something that resembles morphine or other opiates, not necessarily derived from opium, such as synthetic substances.

"The chemical analysis of opium in the 19th century revealed that most of its activity could be ascribed to two alkaloids, codeine and morphine.

Diacetylmorphine was first synthesized in 1874 by C. R. Alder Wright, an English chemist working at St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London. He had been experimenting with combining morphine with various acids. He boiled anhydrous morphine alkaloid with acetic anhydride for several hours and produced a more potent, acetylated form of morphine, now called diacetylmorphine or morphine diacetate. The compound was sent to F. M. Pierce of Owens College in Manchester for analysis."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Ok
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 8:10:20 PM
Why were you taking codeine?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2013 1:28:20 PM
At 11/18/2013 8:10:20 PM, Noumena wrote:
Why were you taking codeine?

Obviously because he doesn't have any heroin...
Tsar of DDO