Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

10 tips to use cellphones safely

Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 3:02:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you (see www.ehtrust.org)! Here's ten ways to make them a bit safer for you:

1. Children should only use cell phones next to their heads for emergencies. Children"s skulls are thinner than adults" and their brains are still developing. Hence, radiation from cell phones penetrates more deeply into their brains and is likely to cause more damage. Texting (while holding the phone away from their body) is still fine for kids!

2. While talking on your cell phone, try to keep the cell phone away from your body as much as possible. The amplitude of the electromagnetic field (radiation) is one fourth the strength at a distance of two inches and fifty times lower at three feet. Whenever possible, use the speaker-phone mode or a wired headset (not a Bluetooth).

3. Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak or when moving at high speed, such as in a car or train, as this automatically increases power to a maximum as the phone repeatedly attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.

4. Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body at all times. Do not keep it near your body at night such as under the pillow or on a bedside table, particularly if pregnant. You can also put it on "flight" or "off-line" mode, which stops electromagnetic emissions.

5. If you must carry your cell phone on you, make sure that the keypad is positioned toward your body and the back is positioned toward the outside so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields move away from you rather than through you.

6. Only use your cell phone to establish contact or for conversations lasting a few minutes, as the biological effects are directly related to the duration of exposure. For longer conversations, use a land line with a corded phone, not a cordless phone, which also uses electromagnetic emitting technology similar to that of cell phones.

7. Switch sides regularly while communicating on your cell phone to spread out your exposure. Before putting your cell phone to the ear, wait until your correspondent has picked up. This limits the power of the electromagnetic field emitted near your ear and the duration of your exposure.

8. When possible, communicate via text messaging rather than making a call, to limit the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body.

9. Avoid using your cell phone in places like a bus, where you can passively expose others to your phone"s electromagnetic fields.

10. Read your cellphone manual and to find the minimum distance that your cellphone must be kept away from yourself whether in use or in stand-by mode. Keeping it closer than the designated distance can result in a violation of the FCC Exposure Limit.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 5:12:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/2/2013 3:02:41 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you (see www.ehtrust.org)! Here's ten ways to make them a bit safer for you:

1. Children should only use cell phones next to their heads for emergencies. Children"s skulls are thinner than adults" and their brains are still developing. Hence, radiation from cell phones penetrates more deeply into their brains and is likely to cause more damage. Texting (while holding the phone away from their body) is still fine for kids!

2. While talking on your cell phone, try to keep the cell phone away from your body as much as possible. The amplitude of the electromagnetic field (radiation) is one fourth the strength at a distance of two inches and fifty times lower at three feet. Whenever possible, use the speaker-phone mode or a wired headset (not a Bluetooth).

3. Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak or when moving at high speed, such as in a car or train, as this automatically increases power to a maximum as the phone repeatedly attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.

4. Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body at all times. Do not keep it near your body at night such as under the pillow or on a bedside table, particularly if pregnant. You can also put it on "flight" or "off-line" mode, which stops electromagnetic emissions.

5. If you must carry your cell phone on you, make sure that the keypad is positioned toward your body and the back is positioned toward the outside so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields move away from you rather than through you.

6. Only use your cell phone to establish contact or for conversations lasting a few minutes, as the biological effects are directly related to the duration of exposure. For longer conversations, use a land line with a corded phone, not a cordless phone, which also uses electromagnetic emitting technology similar to that of cell phones.

7. Switch sides regularly while communicating on your cell phone to spread out your exposure. Before putting your cell phone to the ear, wait until your correspondent has picked up. This limits the power of the electromagnetic field emitted near your ear and the duration of your exposure.

8. When possible, communicate via text messaging rather than making a call, to limit the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body.

9. Avoid using your cell phone in places like a bus, where you can passively expose others to your phone"s electromagnetic fields.

10. Read your cellphone manual and to find the minimum distance that your cellphone must be kept away from yourself whether in use or in stand-by mode. Keeping it closer than the designated distance can result in a violation of the FCC Exposure Limit.

Is that so...
Tsar of DDO
slo1
Posts: 4,346
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 9:30:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I put it in my front pocket as the poor man's vasectomy.

All joking aside, I'm with you brother. I only use a wire headset. I'm still waiting to start hearing about all the folks who walk around with the perma-bluetooth in the ear.
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 7:06:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/5/2013 9:30:47 PM, slo1 wrote:
I put it in my front pocket as the poor man's vasectomy.

All joking aside, I'm with you brother. I only use a wire headset. I'm still waiting to start hearing about all the folks who walk around with the perma-bluetooth in the ear.

Ah yes, you meant the "tools." What a bunch of f*cking cyborg-wannabes. They can't be me, they can't see me. I use it on speaker-phone when I talk on it and I don't carry it in my pocket unless I absolutely have to and even then only in a jacket pocket or sweatpants pocket by my knee. If you want to get a taste of what that thing is doing, hit SEND and then put it next to a speaker.
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"
Debate.org Moderator
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:06:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

fair enough, I'll take a look later and offer some thoughts... though it did scream of fear mongering, which I'm sure was part of the point, and what I commented on.

haha I write pretty much by muscle memory. I try to be very conscious of things like "They're" "Their" and "There", and "your" and "you're" etc. and "past" versus "passed" is also one I've tried to be careful of, but I don't proof read nearly as much as I should. But you are definitely right, I do spend too much time talking about football.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.
Tsar of DDO
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:40:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

Do you know where to get some, laddy?
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:43:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 10:40:17 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

Do you know where to get some, laddy?

They closed the Silk Road down because apparently heroin is illegal. Pshhh...
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:52:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

The H is well known to solve every one of lifes problems. It does cause constipation though, but it's a small price to pay for immortality.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:54:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 10:52:06 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

The H is well known to solve every one of lifes problems. It does cause constipation though, but it's a small price to pay for immortality.

They make things for that, you know...
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:57:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 10:54:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 10:52:06 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

The H is well known to solve every one of lifes problems. It does cause constipation though, but it's a small price to pay for immortality.

They make things for that, you know...

yup, crack. The other solution to all of lifes problems.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:58:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 10:57:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/14/2013 10:54:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 10:52:06 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:32:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

I would recommend some heroin. I hear that always solves problems.

The H is well known to solve every one of lifes problems. It does cause constipation though, but it's a small price to pay for immortality.

They make things for that, you know...

yup, crack. The other solution to all of lifes problems.

Apparently you have to be the mayor of a Canadian city for that to be the case
Tsar of DDO
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:43:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

A few problems with this:
1. Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation. They emit non-ionizing radiofrequency energy.
2. There is no consistently shown link between non-ionizing radiation and cancer. Non-ionizing radiation is incapable of damaging DNA, notwithstanding rather extreme circumstances where DNA damage would be the least of your worries.

Also, link us directly to a page that shows us actual evidence.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 10:31:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/14/2013 11:43:08 PM, drhead wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

A few problems with this:
1. Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation. They emit non-ionizing radiofrequency energy.
2. There is no consistently shown link between non-ionizing radiation and cancer. Non-ionizing radiation is incapable of damaging DNA, notwithstanding rather extreme circumstances where DNA damage would be the least of your worries.

Also, link us directly to a page that shows us actual evidence.

I heard about this page on NPR. Part of the reason they chose to air the story now is because new research in cancer is showing that the old paradigm of "mutations are necessary for cancer" is turning out to be false. Cell-phone radiation won't mutate DNA, so we figured it must be fine - but that premise has now been dismissed. This research is cutting-edge and I'm not sure if I have the biology-know-how to get a journal article on it, but I'll try after work.

So there's no argument that cell-phones irradiate us - it's just a matter of how much. If you go to "about" in your iPhone menu, it will tell you to keep the phone off your skin, because of this radiation. "Mobile phones are two-way microwave radios that also emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation...Studies carried out in Sweden indicate that those who begin using either cordless or mobile phones regularly before age 20 have greater than a fourfold increased risk of ipsilateral glioma." http://www.sciencedirect.com...

Brain cancers are being tied to mobile phone use, and breast cancers are being tied to women who put phones in their bras. Cell-phone radiation is shown to produce "hot spots" in living brain tissue. There may be some wiggle-room to make an argument that perhaps these findings don't matter (and no doubt VZW and co. are going to have many "breakthrough" studies to support the benign-nature of their hundred-billion $ products and services), but can any of you honestly tell me that you have a good reason today to put that phone up to your head because you understand both the technology in that phone and the way your brain works enough to justify it? I'm not really surprised by these findings, personally, because just about every new technological advance humans make in our every-day life carries with it health consequences, environmental consequences, and cultural consequences that are always net-negative. At this point, it's just a matter of identifying what it is, not whether or not they exist.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 12:58:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/15/2013 10:31:14 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/14/2013 11:43:08 PM, drhead wrote:
At 11/14/2013 9:00:35 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/13/2013 11:16:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/13/2013 7:28:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Seriously nobody has an opinion on this? I'm sure every last one of you uses the damned things too... Maybe this forum is just useless because it's not popular enough.

I couldn't get passed:

"Cellphones are irradiating the sh1t out of you"

I provided a website that backed up my claims, and if you don't agree then we can have that conversation. And by the way, you are spending too much time in the football forums - it's "past" lol

A few problems with this:
1. Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation. They emit non-ionizing radiofrequency energy.
2. There is no consistently shown link between non-ionizing radiation and cancer. Non-ionizing radiation is incapable of damaging DNA, notwithstanding rather extreme circumstances where DNA damage would be the least of your worries.

Also, link us directly to a page that shows us actual evidence.

I heard about this page on NPR. Part of the reason they chose to air the story now is because new research in cancer is showing that the old paradigm of "mutations are necessary for cancer" is turning out to be false. Cell-phone radiation won't mutate DNA, so we figured it must be fine - but that premise has now been dismissed. This research is cutting-edge and I'm not sure if I have the biology-know-how to get a journal article on it, but I'll try after work.

So there's no argument that cell-phones irradiate us - it's just a matter of how much. If you go to "about" in your iPhone menu, it will tell you to keep the phone off your skin, because of this radiation. "Mobile phones are two-way microwave radios that also emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation...Studies carried out in Sweden indicate that those who begin using either cordless or mobile phones regularly before age 20 have greater than a fourfold increased risk of ipsilateral glioma." http://www.sciencedirect.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

You have shown just one study, but as you can see in the link above, there are plenty of studies that show no significantly increased chance of developing tumors. In fact, I'd wager that there are more studies showing no link than there are ones showing a link. In any case, the inconsistency is enough to say that there is not enough evidence to support the link. The INTERPHONE study only found increased risks of glioma for people who use their phone for 30 minutes per day over a 10-year period - this was the highest category, and obviously only covers a small percentage of the population.

Brain cancers are being tied to mobile phone use, and breast cancers are being tied to women who put phones in their bras. Cell-phone radiation is shown to produce "hot spots" in living brain tissue. There may be some wiggle-room to make an argument that perhaps these findings don't matter (and no doubt VZW and co. are going to have many "breakthrough" studies to support the benign-nature of their hundred-billion $ products and services), but can any of you honestly tell me that you have a good reason today to put that phone up to your head because you understand both the technology in that phone and the way your brain works enough to justify it?

Yes. I personally don't use my phone that often, and when possible I prefer to text. I may make two or three phone calls per month which are rarely more than three minutes. If you believe that this will make me significantly more likely to develop cancer, I would have to question your mental health.

Also, for the record, I have never heard of anyone putting a phone in their bra.

I'm not really surprised by these findings, personally, because just about every new technological advance humans make in our every-day life carries with it health consequences, environmental consequences, and cultural consequences that are always net-negative. At this point, it's just a matter of identifying what it is, not whether or not they exist.

Yeah, aspirin was so bad, wasn't it? If you think technology is so bad, why don't you go live in a cave and not use any tools at all in order to survive? Humans make tools as one of our primary survival mechanisms. But I see that you are considering every technological advance to be a step backward, even simple things like agriculture and pottery, while ignoring how much our standards of living have IMPROVED since the stone age that you feel such nostalgia for. Since the early 20th century, our life expectancy at birth has DOUBLED. Your assertion would suggest that due to technology, we live short, miserable lives. Every single piece of evidence points in the opposite direction.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2013 9:06:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So there's no argument that cell-phones irradiate us - it's just a matter of how much. If you go to "about" in your iPhone menu, it will tell you to keep the phone off your skin, because of this radiation. "Mobile phones are two-way microwave radios that also emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation...Studies carried out in Sweden indicate that those who begin using either cordless or mobile phones regularly before age 20 have greater than a fourfold increased risk of ipsilateral glioma." http://www.sciencedirect.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

You have shown just one study, but as you can see in the link above, there are plenty of studies that show no significantly increased chance of developing tumors. In fact, I'd wager that there are more studies showing no link than there are ones showing a link.

Well yeah, cell-phones have only begun wide-spread usage within the last decade and a half. Logically, data is going to be sketchy at this point, and will no doubt continue to accumulate as time goes by, assuming enough people are taking the trouble to perform these studies. Right now, there are leading epidemiologists pushing to get cellphones classified as carcinogenic.

In any case, the inconsistency is enough to say that there is not enough evidence to support the link. The INTERPHONE study only found increased risks of glioma for people who use their phone for 30 minutes per day over a 10-year period - this was the highest category, and obviously only covers a small percentage of the population.

Again, there can't have been many 10 year studies if cellphones have been widespread for barely more than 10 years. Logically, one would expect that it would be 10-15 years before we'd even have data to look at, and it is starting to be presented now. If this weren't the nature of the beast, then things like lead paint, asbestos, and MTBE would never have become problems. We'd have never had a single river catch on fire -_-

Brain cancers are being tied to mobile phone use, and breast cancers are being tied to women who put phones in their bras. Cell-phone radiation is shown to produce "hot spots" in living brain tissue. There may be some wiggle-room to make an argument that perhaps these findings don't matter (and no doubt VZW and co. are going to have many "breakthrough" studies to support the benign-nature of their hundred-billion $ products and services), but can any of you honestly tell me that you have a good reason today to put that phone up to your head because you understand both the technology in that phone and the way your brain works enough to justify it?

Yes. I personally don't use my phone that often, and when possible I prefer to text. I may make two or three phone calls per month which are rarely more than three minutes. If you believe that this will make me significantly more likely to develop cancer, I would have to question your mental health.

If what you say is true you are an outlier, but still probably keep the phone in your pocket.

Also, for the record, I have never heard of anyone putting a phone in their bra.

Insidetip- women put things in their bras because they wear skimpy clothing that is more fashion-based than utility-based. Try getting your hands in a girl's jean-pockets once. They can fit a credit-card in there provided it is cut in half.

I'm not really surprised by these findings, personally, because just about every new technological advance humans make in our every-day life carries with it health consequences, environmental consequences, and cultural consequences that are always net-negative. At this point, it's just a matter of identifying what it is, not whether or not they exist.

Yeah, aspirin was so bad, wasn't it? If you think technology is so bad, why don't you go live in a cave and not use any tools at all in order to survive? Humans make tools as one of our primary survival mechanisms. But I see that you are considering every technological advance to be a step backward, even simple things like agriculture and pottery, while ignoring how much our standards of living have IMPROVED since the stone age that you feel such nostalgia for. Since the early 20th century, our life expectancy at birth has DOUBLED. Your assertion would suggest that due to technology, we live short, miserable lives. Every single piece of evidence points in the opposite direction.

Technology gives us improvements - I'm not arguing that. Simple technologies give very notable improvements with very little draw-backs. Like you mentioned, things like pottery and aspirin are great. But as technology becomes increasingly complex and intricate, a point of diminishing returns develops. In particular, the potential for abuse starts to compete with the potential for utility. A phone system in every structure is a great advancement, and a phone system on every person's body is a slightly greater one, but alas the latter comes with the responsibility of abuse (walking around always engaged in petty communiques with others) and, now we're starting to realize, the danger of the radiation these things emit in order to be able to carry out constant long-range microwave communications with others. Inevitably, technology will jump again and again we will see an even higher potential for abuse, and health effects to boot.
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2013 11:00:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/18/2013 12:40:12 PM, YYW wrote:
I hear heroin use mitigates the harm caused by cell phones.

If you don't stop trolling my thread I'm going to angrily punch my cat.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2013 11:00:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/19/2013 11:00:03 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/18/2013 12:40:12 PM, YYW wrote:
I hear heroin use mitigates the harm caused by cell phones.

If you don't stop trolling my thread I'm going to angrily punch my cat.

If you are the kind of person who would punch a cat, I hope the cat kills you in your sleep.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 1:34:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/19/2013 11:01:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
There! You happy now! Bad Kitty!

I hope the cat kills you in your sleep. Btw, you should try some heroin.
Tsar of DDO
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 1:51:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 1:34:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/19/2013 11:01:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
There! You happy now! Bad Kitty!

I hope the cat kills you in your sleep. Btw, you should try some heroin.

You don't know when to close your mouth, so I'm going to increase the torture of this animal. I've strapped a cellphone with bad service onto its back where it will stay until that feline is filled with so many tumors he explodes.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:28:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 1:51:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/20/2013 1:34:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/19/2013 11:01:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
There! You happy now! Bad Kitty!

I hope the cat kills you in your sleep. Btw, you should try some heroin.

You don't know when to close your mouth, so I'm going to increase the torture of this animal. I've strapped a cellphone with bad service onto its back where it will stay until that feline is filled with so many tumors he explodes.

You're pretty fvcked up in the head, aren't you?
Tsar of DDO
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:43:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 8:28:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/20/2013 1:51:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/20/2013 1:34:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/19/2013 11:01:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
There! You happy now! Bad Kitty!

I hope the cat kills you in your sleep. Btw, you should try some heroin.

You don't know when to close your mouth, so I'm going to increase the torture of this animal. I've strapped a cellphone with bad service onto its back where it will stay until that feline is filled with so many tumors he explodes.

You're pretty fvcked up in the head, aren't you?

Alas, laddy, I think t'was me many years of cell `phone huse...
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:45:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 8:43:27 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/20/2013 8:28:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/20/2013 1:51:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/20/2013 1:34:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/19/2013 11:01:23 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
There! You happy now! Bad Kitty!

I hope the cat kills you in your sleep. Btw, you should try some heroin.

You don't know when to close your mouth, so I'm going to increase the torture of this animal. I've strapped a cellphone with bad service onto its back where it will stay until that feline is filled with so many tumors he explodes.

You're pretty fvcked up in the head, aren't you?

Alas, laddy, I think t'was me many years of cell `phone huse...

Kitteh not pleased.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:59:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hate this alarmist sh!t.

I'm probably the most susceptible individual to health-based paranoia you'll ever meet. The kind of anxiety I get after reading one of these needlessly alarming exposes of some common household item... sometimes it lasts for weeks. Should we all just live in bubbles or give up modern life and live off the Earth - and find some way to combat the equally pernicious elements? Why can't anything be presented with some qualified restraint ... I mean it's important to exercise caution against overuse, but for something as simple as picking up a phone this is excessive.... enough for the love of god. Enough.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wren_cyborg
Posts: 241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 8:12:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 8:59:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
I hate this alarmist sh!t.

Hate is usually associated with the opposite of reason. That's a good sign you're about to say something stupid :P

I'm probably the most susceptible individual to health-based paranoia you'll ever meet. The kind of anxiety I get after reading one of these needlessly alarming exposes of some common household item... sometimes it lasts for weeks. Should we all just live in bubbles or give up modern life and live off the Earth - and find some way to combat the equally pernicious elements? Why can't anything be presented with some qualified restraint ... I mean it's important to exercise caution against overuse, but for something as simple as picking up a phone this is excessive.... enough for the love of god. Enough.

Without alarmists, you'd probably still have a basement full of asbestos and lead-paint on your walls ;)

You say you are looking for a reasonable balance, but your actions clearly indicate the opposite. You, like every other one of these half-asleep morons in our society, accept and integrate new technologies with no hesitation. Indeed, the only problem in your eyes is that they don't come out fast enough for you to buy. You say we're just "picking up a phone," but nothing could be farther from the truth. In the 80s, I just picked up the phone. Today, everybody needs to maintain a constant personal microwave connection to a giant cell-tower within a few miles of themselves. That's not "just picking up a phone," that's implementation of potentially dangerous, untested technology to achieve ends that really aren't essential at all. Cell-phones are produced under the guise of responsibility and security, but are almost always precisely the opposite. They are the epitome of triviality and waste. Human beings DON'T need constant microwave connections with the internet and everybody they know. In fact, if anything, it degrades our relationships, not strengthens them.