Jump to topic:

unlimited fruitarianism/intermittent fasting

muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 10:19:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There wasn't enough space in the title but I want peoples' opinions on diet. I want to be healthy but there are so many opinions out there.
Which of the following will help you lose weight and keep it off long term? Also which of the following will help you live healthier and longer
Please give good reasons and advice for your choice.
1. eating unlimited fruits and vegetables and nothing else (80/10/10 vegan diet as proposed by doug graham etc.)
2. Other raw food diet (mention name)
3. Paleo diet (high protein and fat, low carb)
4. Dr. McDougle diet
5. Flexible diet (if it fits your macros)
6. Intermittent fasting (i know there are many versions, recommend your version)
7. breatharian diet
8. No diet (eat whatever you want and don't even think about dieting)
9. Portion controlling
10. 6 meals a day
11. Combination of some of the above (please elaborate)
12. Other (please name and/or describe)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 4:38:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/2/2013 10:19:36 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
There wasn't enough space in the title but I want peoples' opinions on diet. I want to be healthy but there are so many opinions out there.
Which of the following will help you lose weight and keep it off long term? Also which of the following will help you live healthier and longer
1. eating unlimited fruits and vegetables and nothing else (80/10/10 vegan diet as proposed by doug graham etc.)
4. Dr. McDougle diet
6. Intermittent fasting (i know there are many versions, recommend your version)
7. breatharian diet
9. Portion controlling
10. 6 meals a day

Just lower your caloric intake and be sensible about it.

One of the healthiest things you can do is eliminate animal fats from your diet. Drop meat, eggs and dairy. You stand a very high chance of loosing at least 5 pounds just by doing that (My wife lost 20lbs just by giving up dairy and she wasn't even trying to loose weight. None of her pants fit her anymore, and she appears to still be loosing weight.) This also has a lot of other health advantages like lower cholesterol and cancer risk.

By like I said, don't get caught up on all these fad diets. Just be sensible and lower you caloric intake. Create your own low-cal diet that you can stick with. For example, I find that I don't need to eat much during the day so I just have a granola bar for breakfast and fruit for lunch. Then at night, I have a couple of bowls of cereal or oatmeal. I went from 220lbs to 170lbs eating this way and it was no sacrifice.

One tip though: Eat fruits and vegetables, not their juices. Fruit/veg juice has all the sugars but little of the fiber that fruits and vegetables have. The fiber helps you to feel full with fewer calories.

You way also want to set aside some non-diet days. I usually go out to eat on the weekends with my family. That really helps to break the monotony of dieting.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 5:55:59 PM
One of the healthiest things you can do is eliminate animal fats from your diet. Drop meat, eggs and dairy. You stand a very high chance of loosing at least 5 pounds just by doing that (My wife lost 20lbs just by giving up dairy and she wasn't even trying to loose weight. None of her pants fit her anymore, and she appears to still be loosing weight.) This also has a lot of other health advantages like lower cholesterol and cancer risk.

Complete and total BS, all of what you suggested.

Eliminating animal fats from your diet is one of the most unhealthy things a person can possibly do. Our bodies - human bodies - use animal fat most efficiently for energy. You need fat every day, eat as much as you like (do listen to your body, as it will notify when is enough).
(I wouldn't suggest consuming dairy at all, but if you do want then try to limit it, as milk itself is not a grown-up food, not to mention the only milk meant for humans is, well, not that of an animal's other than human...)
Meat (any meat), eggs are valued primarily for their protein. It is literally the building material of our bodies. Those you absolutely need, I'd say even every day.

Forget everything bad they say about cholesterol, it is all total BS as well. Cholesterol is good, not bad, literally. It is responsible for healing injurious. For example, if you eat too much sugar your arteries might (will) get damaged, cholesterol is used to heal that, but if you don't stop eating excessive amounts of sugar the healing process won't stop and, so, cholesterol will basically grow a lump on the inside of your artery. As if causing health problems while in reality the cause of the problem is in fact a diet of excess sugar, and most probably other bad substances.
And cancer... not caused by meats, not caused by fats. Cancer cells eat about 4 or 5 times the amount of sugar as normal cells, sugar literally keeps cancer growing. And no doubt is one of the causes why it develops in the first place.

To lose weight is very simple.
Throw out every single wheat product from your diet, throw out all junk food, all candy bars, all sugary stuff, all crap full of chemicals. In truth, foods processed with heat, meats included, are very bad health wise.
Consume, on average a day, about 100-200 grams of animal fat, about 100 grams of protein (meat, eggs) a day. Animal organs as well as they include essentials nutrients.
Safe to eat is everything that is naturally available. You can't find candys growing on trees anywhere, nor bread the same way.
I've been eating animal fat about 150 grams, and meat/eggs about 100, a day for some months, and excessive body fats simply went away (body weight dropped by 12 kilos, finally got rid of excessive crap). No need to train or do exercises either (although wouldn't hurt).

By like I said, don't get caught up on all these fad diets. Just be sensible and lower you caloric intake. Create your own low-cal diet that you can stick with. For example, I find that I don't need to eat much during the day so I just have a granola bar for breakfast and fruit for lunch. Then at night, I have a couple of bowls of cereal or oatmeal. I went from 220lbs to 170lbs eating this way and it was no sacrifice.

Cereals is what makes people fat, as well what causes heart problems, eventually (wheat and grain products). As well blocks mental activity and nerves. It's the gift of wheat and sugar.

Lowering caloric intake is an absolute and total BS. Animal fat per 100 grams is about 900 calories. I, personally have been eating, for months, quite a bit over my daily needs, talking calorie wise, and instead of gaining anything I first lost weight and then it simply stayed on the same level, not dropping, not growing.
Eat as much as you want, but of course only that which is naturally available, meaning no processed foods, no chemicals, no sweets, no any modern crap they try to sell to us around and at every corner.

You should never eat less than you need if you can eat as much as you need, or more. You should rather eat more. If you eat right you'll be, health wise, right in every way. It's what you eat that matters.

One tip though: Eat fruits and vegetables, not their juices. Fruit/veg juice has all the sugars but little of the fiber that fruits and vegetables have. The fiber helps you to feel full with fewer calories.

Fruits and vegetables. Sure eat them, they are as well needed, but not too much. Main diet should consist of animal fats and meats.

Full with fewer calories... so stupid, honestly. Let's say the human body has a caloric every day need it has to meet. You think eating less than that is good? No, it is not good at all. How is the body supposed to function optimally or even normally if it doesn't have what it needs for that? Eating less then the body needs is an easy way to cause serious and permanent damage.

You way also want to set aside some non-diet days. I usually go out to eat on the weekends with my family. That really helps to break the monotony of dieting.

Non-diet days eating a diet of basically no animal products? I honestly doubt the OP has a tendency toward suicide 'cause this would be one way.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 6:14:21 PM
Raw paleo diet. Raw everything and 70-90 percent carnivorous. As well depends on your ancestry, where they lived, up north, the south. Because peoples differ just as do individuals. On average the right diet should be about 70 percent carnivorous.

If you want to be healthy and know what to eat you have to look back thousands of years and see what people ate then, even tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands. And eat what was available to them, eat what they ate, because those foods are what our bodies have evolved to use over millions of years.

They say to cook meats, well, that's in reality just plain stupid. I've been eating raw, for a while, and I've been never better, and I'm not the kind who goes for something because of hype, or who can be fooled into something, I look first, I think first, objectively, and then I try it and see for myself whether it is so or not. And only raw really is, try for yourself. Take a few months for testing and you'll see the results.

Cooking creates so many toxic substances in meats, fats, fruits, vegetables, in everything. And it destroys so many essential nutrients.

(If you actually should end up wanting to try ask me first for a forum 'cause there's one with invaluable information on dieting and overall health).
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:37:40 PM
At 12/7/2013 11:08:57 PM, YYW wrote:
You forgot heroin.
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 5:50:09 PM
At 12/10/2013 5:55:59 PM, nummi wrote:

Complete and total BS, all of what you suggested.

Eliminating animal fats from your diet is one of the most unhealthy things a person can possibly do. Our bodies - human bodies - use animal fat most efficiently for energy. You need fat every day, eat as much as you like (do listen to your body, as it will notify when is enough).

Yes, fats are important, but fats from vegetables are better than animal fats because plants don't contain cholesterol and are much lower in saturated fats than animal foods. Fats in general contain more than twice as many calories per gram than carbs and protein so they should be limited if the goal is to loose weight - and that's much easier on a plant-based diet.

(I wouldn't suggest consuming dairy at all, but if you do want then try to limit it, as milk itself is not a grown-up food, not to mention the only milk meant for humans is, well, not that of an animal's other than human...)
Meat (any meat), eggs are valued primarily for their protein. It is literally the building material of our bodies. Those you absolutely need, I'd say even every day.

According to the Amercan Heart Association:

You don't need to eat foods from animals to have enough protein in your diet. Plant proteins alone can provide
enough of the essential and non-essential amino acids, as long as sources of dietary protein are varied and
caloric intake is high enough to meet energy needs.

Whole grains, legumes, vegetables, seeds and nuts all contain both essential and non-essential amino acids. You don't need to consciously combine these foods
("complementary proteins") within a given meal.

Soy protein has been shown to be equal to proteins of animal origin. It can be your sole protein source if you choose.

(http://www.heart.org...)

Forget everything bad they say about cholesterol, it is all total BS as well. Cholesterol is good, not bad, literally.

Your body creates all the cholesterol it needs - sometimes too much. It does not need to be supplimented in you diet.

And cancer... not caused by meats, not caused by fats.

Vegetarians are generally less likely than meat eaters to develop cancer but this does not apply to all forms of the disease, a major study has found.

The study involving 60,000 people found those who followed a vegetarian diet developed notably fewer cancers of the blood, bladder and stomach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Cancer cells eat about 4 or 5 times the amount of sugar as normal cells, sugar literally keeps cancer growing. And no doubt is one of the causes why it develops in the first place.

To lose weight is very simple.
Throw out every single wheat product from your diet, throw out all junk food, all candy bars, all sugary stuff, all crap full of chemicals. In truth, foods processed with heat, meats included, are very bad health wise.
Consume, on average a day, about 100-200 grams of animal fat, about 100 grams of protein (meat, eggs) a day. Animal organs as well as they include essentials nutrients.
Safe to eat is everything that is naturally available. You can't find candys growing on trees anywhere, nor bread the same way.
I've been eating animal fat about 150 grams, and meat/eggs about 100, a day for some months, and excessive body fats simply went away (body weight dropped by 12 kilos, finally got rid of excessive crap). No need to train or do exercises either (although wouldn't hurt).

Cereals is what makes people fat, as well what causes heart problems, eventually (wheat and grain products). As well blocks mental activity and nerves. It's the gift of wheat and sugar.

Lowering caloric intake is an absolute and total BS.

Calories are units of energy. When the body can't burn the calories, it stores them as fat. Calorie reduction is necessary to loss weight. It's the mark of a fad diet to say otherwise.

Animal fat per 100 grams is about 900 calories. I, personally have been eating, for months, quite a bit over my daily needs, talking calorie wise, and instead of gaining anything I first lost weight and then it simply stayed on the same level, not dropping, not growing.

Eat as much as you want, but of course only that which is naturally available, meaning no processed foods, no chemicals, no sweets, no any modern crap they try to sell to us around and at every corner.

You should never eat less than you need if you can eat as much as you need, or more. You should rather eat more. If you eat right you'll be, health wise, right in every way. It's what you eat that matters.

Fruits and vegetables. Sure eat them, they are as well needed, but not too much. Main diet should consist of animal fats and meats.

The American Institute for Cancer Research recommends limiting the amount of meat people consume to reduce their likelyhood of developing cancer.

(http://www.aicr.org...)

You usually don't hear of recommendations like this for carrots or apples.

Full with fewer calories... so stupid, honestly.

High fiber foods causes you to feel full even because the fiber adds bulk but not calories. Animal foods don't have fiber.

Non-diet days eating a diet of basically no animal products? I honestly doubt the OP has a tendency toward suicide 'cause this would be one way.

This (like almost everything you've said) would seem to be at odds with expert opinion. According to the American Dietitic Association:

...appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian
diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 5:57:33 PM
At 12/10/2013 6:14:21 PM, nummi wrote:
Raw paleo diet. Raw everything and 70-90 percent carnivorous. As well depends on your ancestry, where they lived, up north, the south. Because peoples differ just as do individuals. On average the right diet should be about 70 percent carnivorous.

If you want to be healthy and know what to eat you have to look back thousands of years and see what people ate then, even tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands. And eat what was available to them, eat what they ate, because those foods are what our bodies have evolved to use over millions of years.

They say to cook meats, well, that's in reality just plain stupid. I've been eating raw, for a while, and I've been never better, and I'm not the kind who goes for something because of hype, or who can be fooled into something, I look first, I think first, objectively, and then I try it and see for myself whether it is so or not. And only raw really is, try for yourself. Take a few months for testing and you'll see the results.

Cooking creates so many toxic substances in meats, fats, fruits, vegetables, in everything. And it destroys so many essential nutrients.

(If you actually should end up wanting to try ask me first for a forum 'cause there's one with invaluable information on dieting and overall health).

A whole fad diet for adults who don't want to eat their vegetables. ;)

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:51:05 PM
At 12/11/2013 6:29:54 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
7. breatharian diet

The fvck is that?

This was one of the things that made my teenage brush with Hinduism/mysticism so short-lived.

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 12:00:06 AM
At 12/10/2013 4:38:18 PM, vbaculum wrote:
4. Dr. McDougle diet
7. breatharian diet
9. Portion controlling
10. 6 meals a day

Just lower your caloric intake and be sensible about it.

You would have said it best, if you had stopped at eat fewer calories. All diets, whether Paleo or vegan, work by either reducing the number of calories you consume or increasing energy output. All diets that accomplish either one of those two things decrease the incidence of obesity and lower cholesterol. People have shown it's possible to lose weight and improve one's health by eating a diet of nothing but junk food, if calories are restricted.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 11:25:48 AM
Yes, fats are important, but fats from vegetables are better than animal fats because plants don't contain cholesterol and are much lower in saturated fats than animal foods. Fats in general contain more than twice as many calories per gram than carbs and protein so they should be limited if the goal is to loose weight - and that's much easier on a plant-based diet.
Vegetable fats better? A whole day's worth of laugh just from this.

Animal fats are the best fats you can find, they are necessary for every individual's health, when keeping optimal health in mind.
The talk about cholesterol being bad is an absolute and total BS. Cholesterol is responsible for keeping your entire body healthy. It is responsible for fixing damage.
Saturated fats are important for the heart.
The talk about calories is total BS as well. One calorie, when metabolised, is not turned into one whole calorie when used by the body.
The intake of calories does not make one fat, grains and sugars and carbs make one fat. If you ate 3000 calories worth of animal fat every day you would never become fat, and if you already were fat you would lose the excess weight fast. And as well the cholesterol you'd get from that amount of fat wouldn't hurt at all, would be in fact a good thing. Unless of course the cholesterol is far too damaged by cooking, so would be best eaten raw. But still, overeating is not a good thing, no matter what it is.
To lose weight, if already overweight, is done right on a mostly carnivorous diet, high in animal fat.

It's not about how much calories your body needs a day. It's about all the nutrients, vitamins, fats, carbs, etc., that your body needs. Eating 2000 calorie worth of green salad does not meet your daily need of all the nutrients needed.

If one wanted to be extremely unhealthy then should follow your advice. If one wanted to be as healthy as possible then should eat mostly a carnivorous diet high in fat.

You know as good as nothing about health. Please educate yourself about reality of true health.

According to the Amercan Heart Association:

You don't need to eat foods from animals to have enough protein in your diet. Plant proteins alone can provide enough of the essential and non-essential amino acids, as long as sources of dietary protein are varied and caloric intake is high enough to meet energy needs.
This is a lie. I feel sorry that you actually believe what they say, without first confirming it yourself.
What human body needs are animal proteins, fact of reality.
Caloric intake has nothing to do with human health, fact of reality. As I said, 2000 calorie worth of salad does, can, and will not meet your daily need of nutrients.
Human bodies have not evolved according to some calorie BS, our bodies have evolved according to what is needed. Calorie does not stand for everything we need, in fact it stands for as good as nothing.

Whole grains, legumes, vegetables, seeds and nuts all contain both essential and non-essential amino acids. You don't need to consciously combine these foods ("complementary proteins") within a given meal.
Another lie.
Grains are extremely bad for mental and physical health. Grains are the direct result of autism and its many forms. Grains cause joint issues, fatness, allergies, contribute to acne, etc.
Legumes are not supposed to be eaten in high quantities, if at all then very little.
Vegetables should not be overconsumed, and definitely should not be the main food source.
Nuts should not be consumed in large quantities either, only a little at a time and rarely.

Soy protein has been shown to be equal to proteins of animal origin. It can be your sole protein source if you choose.

(http://www.heart.org...)
A lie, again.
Soy protein is not animal protein; it is not and can not be, ever, equal to animal protein. Soy is toxic to humans, just as it is toxic to animals. Of course it can be the sole protein source if one chooses so, but what sane person would make such a detrimental choice? The direct result of that choice would be severe health decline.

Your body creates all the cholesterol it needs - sometimes too much. It does not need to be supplimented in you diet.
How about you say this to all those ancestors of ours who ate mostly a carnivorous diet? Their diet was about the same for millions of years. You're arguing evolution here.
A human's diet should be mostly carnivorous, meaning cholesterol intake from animal meats and fats. A human very much needs cholesterol from food, it is not supplementing, it is how we have evolved.

Vegetarians are generally less likely than meat eaters to develop cancer but this does not apply to all forms of the disease, a major study has found.
Wrong. True humans (according to their mostly carnivorous diet) will not develop cancer, ever. Nor any of the 90-95% of modern health problems.
You want to be as healthy as possible? Then you must eat a mostly carnivorous diet. Perhaps less carnivorous in tropical areas, as there's warm year-round and fruits are available year-round as well, but that wouldn't by any way mean you wouldn't need meat.

The study involving 60,000 people found those who followed a vegetarian diet developed notably fewer cancers of the blood, bladder and stomach.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...
Did they make in parallel studies about carnivorous diets as well, both cooked and raw? I can say without knowing for certain, with certainty, that they did not. In other words, a totally pointless study. If you don't consider all relevant aspects then what the fvck are you doing?

Calories are units of energy. When the body can't burn the calories, it stores them as fat. Calorie reduction is necessary to loss weight. It's the mark of a fad diet to say otherwise.
Wrong, so wrong. Calories are units of energy in physics; they have nothing to do with human bodies. Take it like this, one burnt calorie, within human body, is not one whole calorie metabolised by the body. One calorie eaten in does not translate into one calorie used by the body.

By your logic if one was to eat 3000 calorie worth of fat a day then the excess should be turned to excessive fat of your own. But there's just one problem... there is no such process where the body turns consumed fat into body fat. So, when you eat excess fat that much, what will happen to it? I know what happens to it, but do you?

Calories have absolutely nothing to do with weight gain. What makes people fat are grains, sugars, and carbs. Drop all grains, keep maximum about 30 grams a day of sugars/carbs, about 100-150 grams of fat a day, and you can not get fat yourself, not ever (these would only be the energy sources and not the entire diet).

The American Institute for Cancer Research recommends limiting the amount of meat people consume to reduce their likelyhood of developing cancer.
A lie.
Of course they would recommend that. If people stopped getting sick they, at that institute, would all lose their income.
Limiting your meat and lowering your fat intake increases the risk of getting cancer.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 11:26:36 AM
(http://www.aicr.org...)

You usually don't hear of recommendations like this for carrots or apples.
That's because overconsumption of "carrots and apples" is the main cause of these illnesses. If you limit your meat consumption you will find something else to eat, and since meat is no option you go for fruits, vegetables, and stuff like that. As a result you will consume far too many of those while getting far too little protein and fat so the body could heal the damage, etc.
Of course they recommend wrong diets, because diet is the cause of almost every single illness we have in this so called modern time. If they recommended eating according to what we have evolved, then there'd be no "The American Institute for Cancer Research". They keep themselves alive through lies which make people sick so they could keep suggesting things under the lies that say "eat like this and you'll avoid getting this". If you eat the way they suggest then you will get exactly that which they "warn" against. And they know it all, the owners know it, they just want the cash you pay them through drugs that are supposed to make people well from the illnesses they got from eating wrong suggested by them, when the real cure is starting to eat right and waiting till the bodies heals the damage.

High fiber foods causes you to feel full even because the fiber adds bulk but not calories. Animal foods don't have fiber.
Do you even know what fiber is? Meat is full of fiber.

This (like almost everything you've said) would seem to be at odds with expert opinion. According to the American Dietitic Association:

...appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian
diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...)
All a complete lie.
A vegetarian diet is not healthful, is not nutritionally adequate in the slightest, provides no health benefits and causes health problems. The body needs animal protein and animal fat to work as it should, fact of reality. That some "association" said something does not mean it is true, especially if you simply believe what they say without questioning any of it (you're like some religious nutjob... believing the "superiors", the priests and such, pathetic). You have a brain, why aren't you using it for independent thought?
Vegetarian diets are appropriate for no one. Every single person needs meat at one point. People differ, metabolisms differ, some might need more, others less, but every single person absolutely does need meat.
If you don't eat meat at all or not enough your brain will not work right. The brain as well needs animal fat to work right. Let me guess, you eat plants only, or something like that? Would explain your nonsense and credulity so well " you lack the necessary nutrients to have a normally functioning brain.

A whole fad diet for adults who don't want to eat their vegetables. ;)
An expected kind of response from someone who doesn't know one bit what he/she is up against, especially if it's actual reality. 'Cause your brain ain't well. But you can fix it, it'd be easy, and would take some months, and well worth the effort.

Have fun educating yourself.
http://www.rawfoodlife.com...
http://tuberose.com...
http://www.gluten-free.org...
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu...
http://www.realmilk.com...
http://www.reocities.com...
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com...
http://www.psychologytoday.com...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...