Jump to topic:

Affordable Healthcare Act- Takers?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 12:08:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Out of curiosity, who has signed up for Obamacare?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2013 1:34:18 PM
Run for your life!! Big brother is coming big brother is coming.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2013 1:35:51 PM
You know, you young people need to sign up, I am counting on you to pay my medical bills. It's only fair.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 5:47:49 PM
At 1/11/2014 9:07:42 AM, Cheetah wrote:
I rather pay the penalties. Its morally cheaper

Agreed.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 9:09:01 AM
I looked into it, but my dad told me that I was covered on his plane. But, when I looked at the ACA website (I live in Texas) it was all Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, and other insurance companies - not Obamacare. So nobody else is paying for anyone's health care unless it's just the normal insurance system.

Unless you are talking about the Medicaid Expansion, that lets more people qualify.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 9:43:35 PM
I'm not really sure what to do. As of now I'm still not covered. I recently looked into health insurance, and it was astronomically expensive for ridiculously bad coverage. ($100/month for $5,000 deductible, $121/month for $2500 deductible). Am I going to be fined soon or what?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 10:09:56 PM
At 1/16/2014 9:43:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I'm not really sure what to do. As of now I'm still not covered. I recently looked into health insurance, and it was astronomically expensive for ridiculously bad coverage. ($100/month for $5,000 deductible, $121/month for $2500 deductible). Am I going to be fined soon or what?

I believe the fine will be assessed once you do your taxes. Keep in mind to make it legal it's not a fine per se', but rather a tax on being alive, which can be waived by purchasing a product.

In 2014 the tax for being alive is $95 or 1% of your income, whichever is greater. If you do owe the tax, it will be assessed on your 2014 taxes which you pay by April 2015.

Right now, paying the being alive tax is cheaper for anyone who can't afford to become exempt from that tax. It does however go up substantially, for 2015 the tax is $325. In 2016 and beyond it is $695. From 2016 and after, at that point it may be better to just exempt oneself from the being alive tax by purchasing healthcare, though it will still likely be less expensive to pay the tax.

It's worth noting that there is essentially no penalty for not paying the tax. The IRS can't jail anyone for not paying, nor can they garnish wages. The only way the tax is enforceable is by withholding tax return funds.
Debate.org Moderator
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 1:27:11 PM
Pretty cool analogy from my boyfriend: "You can pay for a house and live in it, or you can pay for a cheap apartment and live on the street anyway. The house is insurance, the apartment is the tax for not having it. It's more expensive, but it makes more sense to get the insurance because at least you're getting something for the money."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 4:55:16 PM
Be aware that there are health care insurance plans available that are not listed on the Obamacare web site. The plans offered on the web site are subject to more government rules. The major high-quality hospitals are not included in the plans offered on the web site because they cannot get reimbursement within the bounds of the cost controls. They are part of plans available through insurance brokers. The ACA does not allow paying commissions to brokers, so the web plans are not available through brokers. Having a broker is valuable in understanding the option.

The median net worth of a person aged 18-32 is about $8,000. Obamacare catastrophic health insurance costs about $4,000 a year and has about a $6,000 deductible. It's way overpriced to get money to pay for all the subsidies. Prices are computed by locality, so the exact pricing depends upon your location.