Jump to topic:

How do you like your spirits?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 5:42:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When I was little I liked nothing. When I was a teenager I liked stuff that was cheap (e.g., Mad Dog 20/20, cheap vodka mixed with soda, malt liquor like Old English). When I was just turning drinking-age I liked stuff that was easy to drink (e.g., bud light, bud light, bud light, etc.). In my twenties I decided to try everything and be open-minded. Now, I drink what I've found to be the best of what I've tried.

For sipping, I like scotch whiskey. Johnny Walker Red is my cost-affordable choice. I don't usually blow large sums of money on liquor, so I can't say much about more expensive stuff (the sky is the limit).

Shots at the bar, tequila is the champion. If I'm taking shots then I want the abuse so I'll just take rail then bang on my chest a little bit. But a bottle of Patron is a great treat once in a blue moon. In either case (tequila or scotch) I usually don't mix or chill them.

Wine, I'm going merlot or red zinfandel. White wines are extremely touchy to me (unless they have a buttery-enough finish to cover up the bite, like Kendal Jackson Chardonnay) and I won't touch blushes. Champagne is sick. The best wine I've had so far is Toad Hollow Cacophony, which has animals playing in a band on the front with a Toad in the center playing a tamborine very intensely while tripping on acid. Merlots you just got to be lucky with and spend a little dough, usually in the $12-$18 range you can get something smooth.

Beer, I am not much for the India Pale Ales (IPAs) at the local microbreweries, but everything else is pretty good. I usually get an amber ale or else just try and taste as much as I can. For bottles I usually go Sierra Nevada, Newcastle, Beck's (Beck's Dark is really good when you can find it), or Sam Adams. If for some reason it's got to be a dirty 30 then I'm only rollin' with Keystone Light.

When I dine ethnically I love indulging in the appropriate style, whether it be sake at the asian joints or margaritas with the pendejos. Specials are good too - I had this drink a few weeks ago and it was fantastic - the ingredients were:
- black rum
- snap
- vanilla
- lime
- egg white
- ginger beer
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 11:01:27 PM
Homemade wine sweetened with honey. Honey gives quite a nice property to it, the alcohol does its thing much faster and smoother, can't drink much of the stuff because of it, and lasts longer as a result. Tastes better with honey too.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:36:26 AM
At 1/19/2014 5:00:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Scotch, red wine. I don't drink much, which allows for buying the better stuff.

What brand of scotch and red wine grape?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 2:38:02 AM
At 1/19/2014 11:01:27 PM, nummi wrote:
Homemade wine sweetened with honey. Honey gives quite a nice property to it, the alcohol does its thing much faster and smoother, can't drink much of the stuff because of it, and lasts longer as a result. Tastes better with honey too.

The honey is added after? Is it a white wine?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 9:43:44 AM
At 1/20/2014 2:36:26 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/19/2014 5:00:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Scotch, red wine. I don't drink much, which allows for buying the better stuff.

What brand of scotch and red wine grape?

I like the smoky Laphroaig, a single malt from the Island of Islay. Also Glenfiddich, a more common single malt. I saw a comment by a scotch producer that there is now "almost an arms race" to produce scotch with more and more smoke. New brands include Auld Reekie and The Big Smoke. Nah. (Scotch is made from sprouted barley that is dried in and oven. The smoke comes from the peat fueling the oven.)

There are so many good red wines, and I drink so little, that to try different brands I keep moving from one to another. Cakebread cabernets are outstanding and reliable. Beaulieu cabs are also reliably good.

It's amazing how far the art of winemaking has advanced. Relatively inexpensive wines are remarkably good.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2014 9:48:30 AM
At 1/20/2014 2:38:02 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/19/2014 11:01:27 PM, nummi wrote:

The honey is added after? Is it a white wine?
After, so far tried on red wine.
Don't know what the result would be if added a touch of honey before, should try once summer comes and ends and fruits and berries are ready.