Jump to topic:

Should I reduce my sleep?

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 3:53:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I need about 9 1/2 to 10 hours sleep, I'm a 20 year old male.

It's possible to reduce sleep (maybe permanently). I know that SWS and REM are vital, and I've heard that stage 2 is beneficial too. I've heard that if you sleep much more or less that 7 hours, you are on average less healthy, but the reasons for that are unclear. I find it hard to get to sleep too early, but want to wake up early for a morning run, and need to wake up reasonably early for university. I've considered early afternoon naps as a "top-up" for my sleep. My timetable makes this a little difficult, and sometimes impossible, but there are quite a few days where this can be achieved. I don't want a reduction in health, alertness, creativity etc.

I know there are no definitive answers, and little is truly known about sleep, but I would like advice anyway.

Opinions on if I should reduce my sleep?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 1:09:42 AM
At 1/26/2014 3:53:56 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

It's possible to reduce sleep (maybe permanently). I know that SWS and REM are vital, and I've heard that stage 2 is beneficial too. I've heard that if you sleep much more or less that 7 hours, you are on average less healthy, but the reasons for that are unclear. I find it hard to get to sleep too early, but want to wake up early for a morning run, and need to wake up reasonably early for university. I've considered early afternoon naps as a "top-up" for my sleep. My timetable makes this a little difficult, and sometimes impossible, but there are quite a few days where this can be achieved. I don't want a reduction in health, alertness, creativity etc.

I know there are no definitive answers, and little is truly known about sleep, but I would like advice anyway.

If you reduce your sleep below what your body needs there will be negative consequences for health.
Sleep is a period when the body removes toxins accumulated during the day from the brain. Aside overall rest and toxin removal from cells, and damage repair. Key components to healthy sleep are eating right and sufficient physical activity.

I used to sleep 10-12 hours before I fixed my diet (now it's all raw and 70-90% carnivorous). I sleep 5-8 hours.

Fix your diet and/or physical lifestyle and your sleep issue will be fixed as a result.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 8:55:40 AM
At 1/27/2014 1:09:42 AM, nummi wrote:

If you reduce your sleep below what your body needs there will be negative consequences for health.
Sleep is a period when the body removes toxins accumulated during the day from the brain. Aside overall rest and toxin removal from cells, and damage repair. Key components to healthy sleep are eating right and sufficient physical activity.

I used to sleep 10-12 hours before I fixed my diet (now it's all raw and 70-90% carnivorous). I sleep 5-8 hours.

Fix your diet and/or physical lifestyle and your sleep issue will be fixed as a result.

Interesting claim. I've heard that when you improve your health you need less sleep, so I will take this into consideration.

"below what my body needs" is debatable.

May the best man win!
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 10:33:15 AM
At 1/27/2014 8:55:40 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Interesting claim. I've heard that when you improve your health you need less sleep, so I will take this into consideration.

Because it depends on how much there is to cleanse in the body and "damage" done to fix. If it would take 12 hours to clean up the mess created in the last day (if nothing severe) then reducing sleep to 8 hours would be unwise (there is no way to presently know how much sleep will be needed after each particular day, although could experiment...). How much there is to cleanse and fix is dictated by what you eat, by physical activity, stress, what you breathe in, what body absorbs through skin, etc.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 3:40:51 PM

I agree with nummi here. What each individual needs varies from person to person, but the average is indeed between 6-8 hours. Both too much and too little are equally detrimental. The best way to ensure the right amount of sleep at night and energy in the day is to eat right and get a decent amount of exercise. I disagree on the 70-90% carnivorous part, but that is a separate conversation that we are having elsewhere, and I do not want to get into it on your forum.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 7:46:49 PM

"I need about 9 1/2 to 10 hours sleep, I'm a 20 year old male." I was lucky to get 4 hrs of sleep at that age!!
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:23:13 AM
At 1/27/2014 7:46:49 PM, sadolite wrote:

"I need about 9 1/2 to 10 hours sleep, I'm a 20 year old male." I was lucky to get 4 hrs of sleep at that age!!

That's a heart-warming story.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:26:38 AM
At 1/27/2014 10:33:15 AM, nummi wrote:
At 1/27/2014 8:55:40 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Because it depends on how much there is to cleanse in the body and "damage" done to fix. If it would take 12 hours to clean up the mess created in the last day (if nothing severe) then reducing sleep to 8 hours would be unwise (there is no way to presently know how much sleep will be needed after each particular day, although could experiment...). How much there is to cleanse and fix is dictated by what you eat, by physical activity, stress, what you breathe in, what body absorbs through skin, etc.

Gradual sleep reduction resulting in a (12 month) permanent reduction in sleep duration.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Maybe the brain just readjusts itself to sleep more efficiently? Obviously if your body needs a certain amount of sleep, it's silly to deny that without good reason and it is detrimental to your health and well-being.

May the best man win!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 3:48:45 PM
At 1/28/2014 4:23:13 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Just sayin, you are sleeping your life away
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:26:04 PM
At 1/28/2014 3:48:45 PM, sadolite wrote:

That coming from a 50 year old (as you claimed you were)... should know better by that age. But then perhaps the too little sleep in your youth caused permanent brain damage. Would explain well.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 4:11:00 PM
At 1/28/2014 11:26:04 PM, nummi wrote:

That coming from a 50 year old (as you claimed you were)... should know better by that age. But then perhaps the too little sleep in your youth caused permanent brain damage. Would explain well.

Just because I don't sleep my life away like you ndo does not require a nasty response. Fuk you to

nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 11:27:41 AM
At 1/29/2014 4:11:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

Just because I don't sleep my life away like you ndo does not require a nasty response. Fuk you to
You do realize people need sleep for a reason?
If you think you would otherwise "sleep your life away" then you are a far bigger moron then I initially perceived.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 11:30:07 AM
At 2/2/2014 11:27:41 AM, nummi wrote:

If you think you would otherwise "sleep your life away" then you are a far bigger moron then I initially perceived.

No, you are a far bigger condescending moron than you think.

nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 4:15:39 PM
At 2/2/2014 11:30:07 AM, sadolite wrote:

Here ya go, http://dictionary.reference.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 4:54:42 PM
At 2/2/2014 4:15:39 PM, nummi wrote:
At 2/2/2014 11:30:07 AM, sadolite wrote:

Here ya go, http://dictionary.reference.com...

What does it say, I'm to lazy to click on the link

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 11:52:30 AM
In case it wasn't clear, this is what I mean... http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Also apparently having less than seven hours and more than five and a half hours is the healthiest. http://www.psychologytoday.com...

But we may naturally sleep more anyway.

I guess there isn't a clear answer.

May the best man win!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 11:26:47 AM

I don't like guidelines for the very reason that different people are different.
I, too, sleep 10 hours. I can function on less, but I am tired.
Perhaps we just wear down our body's more than others, eh?
My work here is, finally, done.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 2:11:31 AM
easy, videogames all day=no sleep/no life/but thats the good stuff

How to not sleep:
DO NOTS
read
sit there and do nothing