Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

The Fattening Diet

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 8:42:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In the course of many years, I have gone on numerous diets, all with the intention to lose weight. In the beginning, when I would lose weight, I lost substantial amounts of weight. However, the weight would come to a standstill; and, over time, I would slowly gain it back and then some. Not until the last few years have I realized how the phenomenon of dieting truly works.

First of all, the main principle of losing weight is taken from the first law of thermodynamics. Basically, the principle states energy expenditure must exceed energy consumption, for the internal energy of a closed system to be reduced. In other words, calorie expenditure must be greater than calorie consumption, in order for there to be a reduction in weight.

Now, all diets work by this single principle, regardless of the diet's claims. However, there's one caveat to the concept of losing weight; and, that is a reduction in weight, first of all, includes a reduction in muscle; and, muscle is more metabolically active than fat. So, in effect, a diet lowers your rate of metabolism. In order to continue losing weight, with a, now, slower metabolism, you must reduce the number of calories consumed, to an even greater extent.

The diet, with time, becomes even stricter. Primarily, this is the reason diets are not sustainable.

Once the diet is blown, dieters tend to return to old eating habits; except, now, their metabolism is even slower. The number of calories once consumed to take off weight, becomes, now, the number needed to put on weight.

Researchers have found diets put on weight, in more ways than one. First of all, dieters tend to increase consumption, right before starting a new diet. Secondly, diets increase desire for forbidden foods. This is known as "sensitization". For example, most prescription drug users must cycle off a drug or try another drug in the same class, because their bodies habituate to the effects of the drug. If a doctor wishes to keep a patient on the same drug, the doctor may have the patient stop taking the drug for a time long enough for the patient's body to, once again, become sensitive to the therapeutic effects of the drug. Food is a drug, and the more we restrain ourselves, from it, the greater our desire becomes, for it. Try it. Give up all sugar starting, tomorrow, and see how long your diet last; and, lastly, as I said before, diets are not sustainable; and, in the process, they slow down your rate of metabolism, making future weight gain even easier.