Restrictions on school lunch

el_em_en_oh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 3:29:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/27/2014 1:23:40 PM, Nicholas110497 wrote:
should government expose restrictions on what kinds of foods can be served in a school cafeteria

Should the gov't EXPOSE restrictions?

Or did you mean to say IMPOSE restrictions? I think that since the child is in the care of the school, it's the schools responsibility to ensure that the child is fed in a responsible manner (ie: providing a healthy, nutritious meal). Public schools are funded by gov't.
HunterK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 4:53:07 PM
The government shouldn't get involved with what students can eat at school. An individual is the one who determines what he or she eats and has to face the consequences of his or her choices. If they decide to maul down a bunch of candy and they get sick because of it then it isn't the schools fault for the poor decision of a child. It makes more sense to restrict what elementary students can consume but high school and middle school students should have to deal with the consequences of their own actions.
englishdebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 5:47:22 PM
I believe that private schools should not have restrictions on their meal choices, since they are not funded by the government. I do believe that lower schools (grades k-5) should give healthy meal options to their students. These children are still young and should be guided to eat properly. However middle schools and high school students are old enough to decide for themselves and will do whatever they want to. Even if a school does restrict meals to their students, at this age they aware of what they are putting into their bodies. In middle school and high school these students will have their own responsibility to eat healthy and to maintain a good diet.
WheezySquash8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 5:06:34 AM
should government expose restrictions on what kinds of foods can be served in a school cafeteria

Yep.
Pacifist Since 3/12/14
Wheezy
hiiwannaarguewityou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 7:42:27 PM
At 4/27/2014 5:47:22 PM, englishdebate wrote:
I believe that private schools should not have restrictions on their meal choices, since they are not funded by the government. I do believe that lower schools (grades k-5) should give healthy meal options to their students. These children are still young and should be guided to eat properly. However middle schools and high school students are old enough to decide for themselves and will do whatever they want to. Even if a school does restrict meals to their students, at this age they aware of what they are putting into their bodies. In middle school and high school these students will have their own responsibility to eat healthy and to maintain a good diet.

I absolutely agree that school systems should promote and provide healthier eating options during lunch. Many students will go for the unhealthy option, not because they necessarily want it, but because it's there, it's cheap, and it's available. Educational systems strive to make sure that their students are accommodated academically, but what about their well being?! Eating right goes hand in hand with how a student performs in school and how they feel. Many of the younger children cannot make these decisions on their own. For the most part, they don't know what's bad for them and they will often reach for whatever is "yummy". If you offer a child a carrot OR broccoli, the child will most likely choose the carrot. If you put a carrot and a chocolate bar in front of a child and ask him/her to choose one, he/she will opt and gravitate towards the sweets. He will choose neither if the third option was a cookie. If students are provided with healthier options that are easily accessible to them, they might reach towards the better for you options and then develop a healthy eating habit and mindset. Furthermore, some people (adults and teens) have low control when it comes to sweets and unhealthy foods, so if the only options they have are healthier ones, it will be easier for them to control their diet and take care of their bodies.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 4:46:04 PM
At the very least a healthy option should be provided.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 6:48:03 AM
Depending on the food I think. Salt is still needed, glucose is still needed, cholesterol is still needed, the only thing left to worry is when you consume excessively.
klkl47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 7:31:55 AM

Just asked my 12 year old and he said "yes". " I think that parents can't see how many sweets kids eat, whatever they want. I just don't think they should be able to get that many sweets and nothing else"
notcreative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 12:25:58 PM
" I believe that private schools should not have restrictions on their meal choices, since they are not funded by the government. I do believe that lower schools (grades k-5) should give healthy meal options to their students. These children are still young and should be guided to eat properly. However middle schools and high school students are old enough to decide for themselves and will do whatever they want to. Even if a school does restrict meals to their students, at this age they aware of what they are putting into their bodies. In middle school and high school these students will have their own responsibility to eat healthy and to maintain a good diet."

While "englishdebate" broached solid ideas, the argument itself is deficient. The response covers only a mere part of the school education system because it focuses on the private schools. First off, the principle in question, which is if restrictions on school lunches should be placed, is not limited to the "private schools" mentioned--it includes public schools, as well. Therefore, this argument is pathos based--it's an emotional appeal to the private school kids and parents only.

Another issue with the above argument is as follows: who's to say every high school student is "aware of what they are putting into their bodies" and they know of their responsibility to eat healthy? Some elementary schools across the country may not have the funding to install a health education class. For instance, South Dakota schools "are not required to provide instruction in health education at any specific grade level" until their freshman year in High School.

Healthy eating is a struggle for most people, and it's even more challenging for those who are not taught their responsibilities. Also, this debate is not limited to private schools; rather, this debate is open to all schools.
MichaelReinhart1996
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:39:08 AM

But are Middle School kids not easily susceptible their physical desires? Even High School kids that lack self control, which is not such a crazy thing to imagine, will eat poorly if not steered in the right direction by the school menu. Schools must take control and stop allowing children, regardless of their ages make decisions that can effect them negatively in the long run. It is up to schools to take care of their students and although students may disagree it is in their best interest at the end of the day.