Jump to topic:

I can't stop biting my lip.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:34:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It feels physically good. It hurts, but it triggers such a rush that I'm addicted, usually in a particular area(s). Then it wears off, and I'm stuck with horrible aching sores that take days to disappear.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:36:58 PM
That is an unusual thing to which to become addicted. I suppose, relying on neuroplasticity, that you could just find a substitute and gradually get your brain rewired to prefer the other thing. It could theoretically be just as habit-forming, but perhaps with fewer painful ramifications. I don't really have such a problem, but I really enjoy recreational use of Kratom (mitragyna speciosa); its principal active alkaloids, mitragynine and 7-hydroxy-mitragynine, are pretty potent opioid receptor agonists, but with a considerably lower addictivity potential and none of the worries of being paired with acetaminophen. It is a little difficult to get down if you're using ground leaf, but they make extracts and tinctures now, so you could likely get a similar bang for a comparable price.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 5:06:12 PM
At 3/28/2014 2:36:58 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That is an unusual thing to which to become addicted. I suppose, relying on neuroplasticity, that you could just find a substitute and gradually get your brain rewired to prefer the other thing. It could theoretically be just as habit-forming, but perhaps with fewer painful ramifications. I don't really have such a problem, but I really enjoy recreational use of Kratom (mitragyna speciosa); its principal active alkaloids, mitragynine and 7-hydroxy-mitragynine, are pretty potent opioid receptor agonists, but with a considerably lower addictivity potential and none of the worries of being paired with acetaminophen. It is a little difficult to get down if you're using ground leaf, but they make extracts and tinctures now, so you could likely get a similar bang for a comparable price.

Jesus, dude, I'm not 'addicted' addicted. It's just a weird quirk of the body, like jock itch, and just as harmful. It's definitely not something I need medicine for.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 3:06:31 PM
At 3/28/2014 5:06:12 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Jesus, dude, I'm not 'addicted' addicted. It's just a weird quirk of the body, like jock itch, and just as harmful. It's definitely not something I need medicine for.

I wouldn't call it medicine. I'm not a doctor, nor am I prescribing you anything (cf. prescription of suboxone or methadone for opiate addicts). I was only suggesting that, in much the same way taking up a hobby can prove psychologically and emotionally stimulating, so too might taking up the use of this herb, which is both completely legal and quite enjoyable, prove a useful substitute for something with demonstrable, tangible harms.
mayamina
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 2:51:56 PM
Alas, I have the same problem, it is because of anxiety and you can get rid of it only by getting another bad habbit :)