slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:02:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

Carbohydrate digestion and obesity strongly linked

The chance of being obese for people with less than four copies of the AMY1 gene was approximately eight times higher than in those with more than nine copies of this gene. The researchers estimated that with every additional copy of the salivary amylase gene there was approximately a 20 per cent decrease in the odds of becoming obese.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:11:44 AM
Cliff Notes:

1. Amylase is enzyme (protein folded in a particular manner) that is produced in mouth and liver to help break down carbs into sugars.

2. Genes are portions of DNA that are used to create enzymes. The sequence of base pairs that defines a Gene is repeated a number of times in our entire collection of DNA, so we all have more than one point in our DNA that can create a particular enzyme.

3. When looking at obesity there is a strong correlation to the number of Amylase gene copies one has.

4. The specific reason why less amylase genes is related to obesity versus more amylase genes is unknown and needs to be researched further.

5. At bottom of article a Dr makes a good point. This extends knowledge of obesity in a way that has not been researched. The # of a genes copies is a variable that is getting attention versus the past focused on specific genes which may have a cause in obesity.

Have to wonder how the # of a particular gene's copies could affect other areas of the human system.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:31:43 AM
Yaaay health nuts.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 9:17:11 AM
At 3/31/2014 9:02:30 AM, slo1 wrote:

The chance of being obese for people with less than four copies of the AMY1 gene was approximately eight times higher than in those with more than nine copies of this gene. The researchers estimated that with every additional copy of the salivary amylase gene there was approximately a 20 per cent decrease in the odds of becoming obese.

Sorry. I've tried posting serious stuff, I really thought was interesting; but, most people on this site are more into personality games than anything.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 12:59:35 PM
At 4/6/2014 9:17:11 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Sorry. I've tried posting serious stuff, I really thought was interesting; but, most people on this site are more into personality games than anything.

No worries. I'm glad you read it.

As the knowledge of how different people's bodies and gut bacteria process foods and energy in the body become known, the discussion will grow.

I noticed that there still is much pent up anger towards obese people in the US. Especially younger folks who have not gone through metabolic changes and often over estimate their "will power" and ability to control their weight in the future.

I expect that in the future we can at least get to a point where one's dna can be measured and an optimal diet at least be produced for each individual. There is still a lot of cultural influence that needs to change though.

1/2 of the problem when one wants to get healthy is that the rest of the family doesn't care and maintains the old environment making it virtually impossible to break the cycle.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 8:19:46 PM
At 4/6/2014 12:59:35 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 4/6/2014 9:17:11 AM, s-anthony wrote:

No worries. I'm glad you read it.

As the knowledge of how different people's bodies and gut bacteria process foods and energy in the body become known, the discussion will grow.

I noticed that there still is much pent up anger towards obese people in the US. Especially younger folks who have not gone through metabolic changes and often over estimate their "will power" and ability to control their weight in the future.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the overconsumption of food necessarily correlates with adiposity. If fact, I believe this erroneous connection has facilitated the obesity epidemic, in Western and industrialized nations.

Presently, I'm a big proponent of the physiological mechanism called habituation, in other words, the body's tendency to habituate, or become desensitized to repeated stimulation. I personally believe the more we deny our natural cravings, the greater our cravings become, to being more of an obsession than anything. It's, only, as we give into our biological urges are our needs met; and, food, or whatever, else, becomes a non-issue.

I am finding out, at least, for myself, if I attempt to limit my consumption of energy, either through calorie restriction or limiting the types of food I eat, my body is either more restrictive, in the amount of energy it expends, or it compensates by eating allowed foods, even in the absence of hunger.

I have tried every diet imaginable; and, initially, every diet works, in losing poundage; which I believe is, primarily, glycogen, water, and muscle; in losing lean muscle mass, my metabolic rate slows, more energy is conserved, and I regain the few pounds I lost and then some.

I expect that in the future we can at least get to a point where one's dna can be measured and an optimal diet at least be produced for each individual. There is still a lot of cultural influence that needs to change though.

I believe we will always want that which we can't have.

1/2 of the problem when one wants to get healthy is that the rest of the family doesn't care and maintains the old environment making it virtually impossible to break the cycle.

I don't necessarily believe our environments need changing. I believe as we free ourselves from all the prohibitions placed on us by society, our cravings will reach an equilibrium. I believe the more we deprive ourselves, of our natural God-given desires, the more unbalance and unrest we create, for ourselves.