Jump to topic:

Move on from people with toxic behavior

howardzinn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 8:21:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you know someone who insists on destructively dictating the emotional atmosphere, then be clear: they are toxic. If you are suffering because of their attitude, and your compassion, patience, advice, and general attentiveness doesn"t seem to help them, and they don"t seem to care one bit, then ask yourself, "Do I need this person in my life?"
When you delete toxic people from your environment it becomes a lot easier to breathe. If the circumstances warrant it, leave these people behind and move on when you must. Seriously, be strong and know when enough is enough! Letting go of toxic people doesn"t mean you hate them, or that you wish them harm; it simply means you care about your own well-being.

A healthy relationship is reciprocal; it should be give and take, but not in the sense that you"re always giving and they"re always taking.

These people are like sharks, don't let them eat you alive! Chomp!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 7:07:45 AM
Typically when people refer to toxic people. They mean sociopaths or overly emotional douche bags. I don't seperate myself from sociopaths. They are easy to deal with, because they are predictable. I can't really do anything about sociopaths with a long time horizon. It's not necessary to do something about that type anyway. The ones with a short and medium time horizon are easy to spot. I just bait them and watch the idiots cause their own destruction.

I had this friend who was a sociopath who would always give freely, to gain goodwill so he could take even more than he gave. I just kept taking and when his money dried up I treated him as cold as he treats people that aren't useful to him.

Sociopaths lack empathy so they have a hard time realizing your complete disgust for them, despite the subtle clues. Use this and their greed to your advantage.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 10:03:14 PM
At 4/12/2014 8:21:38 PM, howardzinn wrote:
If you know someone who insists on destructively dictating the emotional atmosphere, then be clear: they are toxic. If you are suffering because of their attitude, and your compassion, patience, advice, and general attentiveness doesn"t seem to help them, and they don"t seem to care one bit, then ask yourself, "Do I need this person in my life?"
When you delete toxic people from your environment it becomes a lot easier to breathe. If the circumstances warrant it, leave these people behind and move on when you must. Seriously, be strong and know when enough is enough! Letting go of toxic people doesn"t mean you hate them, or that you wish them harm; it simply means you care about your own well-being.

A healthy relationship is reciprocal; it should be give and take, but not in the sense that you"re always giving and they"re always taking.

These people are like sharks, don't let them eat you alive! Chomp!

Man, is this ever true! I have a 24-year-old son who can only be described as a narcissist, and he will drain your energy like nobody's business. Even his mother and two sisters feel the same, and we've all had to learn the hard way that there is simply no way to reason with him. He has yet to hold a job for more than a couple of months, and has had few of those. I am divorced now (largely due to him), but he still lives with his mom. He would rather live here, but I've made it clear to him that he's not welcome to visit without prior permission. It really hurts to have to treat your own son like this, but I tried for six years to find a middle ground before discovering that it just doesn't exist. For anyone else who has someone like this who is part of your life, I know it's virtually impossible not to feel guilty about it, but there does come a time when you have to build a wall for your own protection.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 3:34:51 PM
I think we should kill all sociopaths with an IQ lower than 140. These low end sociopaths are no benefit to society, whatsoever.