Jump to topic:

Does Anybody Have/Deal with Autism?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 2:05:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you have a kid or relative with autism? Do you have it yourself?

I was born Autistic and the symptoms didn't show until the age of 2 or 3. I began to become reclusive and afraid of everything. I would constantly bang my head on the floor if I was upset. I kept repeating the same thing after watching tv show re runs. I was also raised loosely. I was not punished and my mom used my autism as an excuse to get me out of trouble with things. I also had a hard time paying attention in class. Doing homework was fast because I rarely did any. I failed kindergarden twice. My mom also refused special classes, but refused to do anything about my autism.

My dad was sick of it and decided to take me away from my mom and I moved in with my step mom. She was strict, very demanding and believed I wasn't one with a disability. She treated me like I didn't have a disorder. She punished me, whipped me and grounded me if I did anything wrong or fail a test. Most of all, she spent time with me watching movies, playing board games and socializing. She took a ton of one on one time to get to know me better. But at the same time, she was very strict. I felt glad to be near her. At least 10 or 12 years pass and I meet a new neurologist who was very famous in the area since he did a ton of Journals for the medical field. Dr. Pena had diagnosed me to a mild Asperger's Syndrome. He was shocked too since he knew of my original diagnoses and said my step mom had done something good. I know I wasn't the only one like this.

But now I am interested in going to college to become a teacher, I am interested in psychology and religion and politics and music. I feel like I am alive and have been given a gift.

Does anybody have any Autism stories or have any questions about Autism?
Chimera
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 10:57:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/28/2014 2:05:40 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Do you have a kid or relative with autism? Do you have it yourself?

I was born Autistic and the symptoms didn't show until the age of 2 or 3. I began to become reclusive and afraid of everything. I would constantly bang my head on the floor if I was upset. I kept repeating the same thing after watching tv show re runs. I was also raised loosely. I was not punished and my mom used my autism as an excuse to get me out of trouble with things. I also had a hard time paying attention in class. Doing homework was fast because I rarely did any. I failed kindergarden twice. My mom also refused special classes, but refused to do anything about my autism.

My dad was sick of it and decided to take me away from my mom and I moved in with my step mom. She was strict, very demanding and believed I wasn't one with a disability. She treated me like I didn't have a disorder. She punished me, whipped me and grounded me if I did anything wrong or fail a test. Most of all, she spent time with me watching movies, playing board games and socializing. She took a ton of one on one time to get to know me better. But at the same time, she was very strict. I felt glad to be near her. At least 10 or 12 years pass and I meet a new neurologist who was very famous in the area since he did a ton of Journals for the medical field. Dr. Pena had diagnosed me to a mild Asperger's Syndrome. He was shocked too since he knew of my original diagnoses and said my step mom had done something good. I know I wasn't the only one like this.

But now I am interested in going to college to become a teacher, I am interested in psychology and religion and politics and music. I feel like I am alive and have been given a gift.

Does anybody have any Autism stories or have any questions about Autism?

I was actually misdiagnosed with Asperger's syndrome (in conjuction with major clinical depression) when I was around 14-15. I had to deal with a lot of emotional abuse from my step-dad at the time, since he saw it as a major tool to make me feel inferior to him. I don't really want to talk about it.

I took more tests regarding Asperger's syndrome later in life and found out about my misdiagnosis.

However, the misdiagnosis helped me really understand what it's like to be discriminated against for being on the autism spectrum. I feel a lot of sympathy for those who are hurt by such, and i'm glad that you were able to persevere and make your life better even though challenges were placed in front of you. Even though i'm not on the spectrum, it gives me some hope for those suffering from abuse due to being diagnosed with autism.