Jump to topic:

Do you have/deal with Diabetes?

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2014 10:30:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have type one diabetes, and it is extremely annoying. Many people get type one diabetes confused with type two diabetes. They are extremely different.

Here's simple explanation of both:
http://www.diabetes.org...

Do you have a type of diabetes? Do you know someone who does?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 9:28:50 AM
At 7/6/2014 10:30:06 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I have type one diabetes, and it is extremely annoying. Many people get type one diabetes confused with type two diabetes. They are extremely different.

I luckily do not have diabetes, but of course know a number of people with type 2. I do follow a number of companies in the diabetes market, such as Mankind that just had their inhale-able insulin approved by the FDA.

I have no doubt that it will be a curable disease, even for type 1, but we need much more work done in stem cell research before that will come to fruition.

There is a lot of good research going on. How do you feel about using embryonic stem cells in a cure for type 1?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 9:31:15 AM
At 7/21/2014 9:28:50 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 7/6/2014 10:30:06 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I luckily do not have diabetes, but of course know a number of people with type 2. I do follow a number of companies in the diabetes market, such as Mankind that just had their inhale-able insulin approved by the FDA.

I have no doubt that it will be a curable disease, even for type 1, but we need much more work done in stem cell research before that will come to fruition.

There is a lot of good research going on. How do you feel about using embryonic stem cells in a cure for type 1?

I'm not really up on it, but I have heard of fake pancreases that they are working on, and trying to find a way to find out blood sugar levels in the same unit as the insulin delivery system (or pump).
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:31:38 PM
I'm not really up on it, but I have heard of fake pancreases that they are working on, and trying to find a way to find out blood sugar levels in the same unit as the insulin delivery system (or pump).

Funny you say that. I have type 1 (as you know) but my father is actually working on this "fake pancreas" (called a bionic pancreas). Check out the website...

http://www.artificialpancreas.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:38:33 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:31:38 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Funny you say that. I have type 1 (as you know) but my father is actually working on this "fake pancreas" (called a bionic pancreas). Check out the website...

http://www.artificialpancreas.org...

That is cool1

I read the article about this a while back. http://www.npr.org...

You're not David are you????

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:43:24 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:40:31 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
That is cool1

Yeah, I am.

REALLY????????

Goodness Gracious! That's really, really, cool!

So, can you explain really briefly how it works?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:48:11 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:43:24 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 7/21/2014 4:40:31 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
That is cool1

Yeah, I am.

REALLY????????

Well, more along the lines of how does it work with the pump, etc. From a diabetic perspective.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:50:48 PM
REALLY????????

Honestly, it is pretty hard to briefly explain it, but I will give it my best shot.

So currently the BP (Bionic Pancreas) is a phone and a Dexcom 4 CGM combined into a brick. Installed into the phone is an app that has an algorithm written into it. The algorithm is designed to make dosing decisions (insulin to lower blood glucose and glucagon to raise it) based on the reading that the Dexcom has.

This explanation doesn't really give the device justice, but if you look up Bionic Pancreas you will certainly get dozens of results.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:10:38 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:50:48 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
REALLY????????

Honestly, it is pretty hard to briefly explain it, but I will give it my best shot.

So currently the BP (Bionic Pancreas) is a phone and a Dexcom 4 CGM combined into a brick. Installed into the phone is an app that has an algorithm written into it. The algorithm is designed to make dosing decisions (insulin to lower blood glucose and glucagon to raise it) based on the reading that the Dexcom has.

This explanation doesn't really give the device justice, but if you look up Bionic Pancreas you will certainly get dozens of results.

Thanks. It's really exciting! When I debate in real life, I have a hard time keeping stable. One time I got so low that I couldn't even read the page numbers. Hopefully your dad's thing will help a bit.

Is it uncomfortable to wear, or is it just part of your infusion set? You are on a pump, right?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:52:09 PM
Thanks. It's really exciting! When I debate in real life, I have a hard time keeping stable. One time I got so low that I couldn't even read the page numbers. Hopefully your dad's thing will help a bit.

Is it uncomfortable to wear, or is it just part of your infusion set? You are on a pump, right?

It depends on what your view on "uncomfortable" is. For me, wearing it won't be any different than what I currently wear, which is a CGM (Dexcom) and a pump. But if you have never worn a CGM then it might take a little bit of time to get used to.

I strongly suggest wearing a CGM if you don't already (especially the Dexcom which is the best on the market) because it reports your blood sugars every 5 minutes, and can significantly improve your diabetes management.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:35:10 PM
At 7/21/2014 5:52:09 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

It depends on what your view on "uncomfortable" is. For me, wearing it won't be any different than what I currently wear, which is a CGM (Dexcom) and a pump. But if you have never worn a CGM then it might take a little bit of time to get used to.

I strongly suggest wearing a CGM if you don't already (especially the Dexcom which is the best on the market) because it reports your blood sugars every 5 minutes, and can significantly improve your diabetes management.

Yeah, I have a Medtronic MiniMed. I haven't started wearing a CGM because I just have to check anyway, and it is another thing poking into me. but your dad's thing sounds more reliable.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:38:51 PM
How often do you check your blood sugar normally? It can play a huge role into how well you can manage your diabetes.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:50:49 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:38:51 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
How often do you check your blood sugar normally? It can play a huge role into how well you can manage your diabetes.

Four to eight times a day. Sometimes as much as 12.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:53:51 PM

The more times the better, obviously. The advantage of a CGM is that you get thousands of readings as opposed to a dozen.

Anyways, I'm not trying to force you into anything. I'm just putting it out there.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:56:55 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:53:51 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

The more times the better, obviously. The advantage of a CGM is that you get thousands of readings as opposed to a dozen.

Yeah, you're right.

Anyways, I'm not trying to force you into anything. I'm just putting it out there.

I know. Thanks.

I've just been waiting on the CGM until it gets more reliable.

Diabetes is a pain in the fingers!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam