Jump to topic:

Vegan Question?

Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 8:18:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is the western vegan movement a food fetish for the rich??
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:16:20 AM
At 7/20/2014 8:18:14 PM, Martley wrote:

I don't think so. I think it's mainly about ethics. I think it's wrong to eat meat if you don't have to, especially in the age of factory farming.

You don't have to be rich to eat vegan. The less you spend the more preparation needed, but it's not necessary.

When I go to taco bell I spend the same amount as I did when I ate meat. A few bucks for some bean burritos fresca syyle. My grocery bill has increased, but I eat out way less which compensates.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:23:29 AM

For most vegans, I think so. The reason I say that is because very few people take the time to consciously reflect on the intent, meaning, purpose and ethical significance of their actions. But if there are people who do have well developed philosophical views on their dietary choices, you're likely to find at least some of them here as some genuinely believe in the ethics behind it (and the literature there is interesting to read -well, some of it is) but most do it because it's the "thing do do now" among the hip. For others, it's about health.
Tsar of DDO
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:00:27 AM

No, not at all.

A vegan diet costs just as much as a omnivorous diet. Obviously, the price will vary depending on how fancy and diverse your diet is, how many people you are feeding, etc.

I am not rich at all, but I'm vegan.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 10:55:50 AM

Are beans, rice and vegetables the food of the rich?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:45:53 PM
At 7/21/2014 10:55:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:

This does not explain why wealthy western societies place such a high level of importance on their individual diets. And to pontificate their personal veganism in the process. To answer your question... those specific food are not the food of the rich... but the vegan movement is a diet of the rich.
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:11:58 PM
At 7/21/2014 1:45:53 PM, Martley wrote:

This does not explain why wealthy western societies place such a high level of importance on their individual diets. And to pontificate their personal veganism in the process. To answer your question... those specific food are not the food of the rich... but the vegan movement is a diet of the rich.

If you're not struggling to feed yourself it's easy to be picky about your diet. People struggling to feed themselves can't afford to think past their next meal.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:20:51 PM
At 7/21/2014 1:45:53 PM, Martley wrote:

What? The vegan movement isn't a diet, it's a movement. Your speaking in weird generalities.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it